Go Bottom Go Bottom

Best Gas and Diesel fuel containers pour spout

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2014-02-27          189269

I have a collection of old containers that are missing the pour spout. Sadly I only have one spout I like and interchange with the others. I hate the anti spill spouts at least the ones at Lowes H DEPOT.

Seems anti spill only type legal now. Do you know of a brand that is good?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2014-02-27          189271

Dennis,

John Stossel had a segment on his show which explained the reason behind the retarded pour spouts we have available to us today.

Long story short....lawyers made it happen.

Kids tend to pour gas on fires just to see what happens. These new spouts, which are nearly impossible to use, are a result of lawsuits against gas can manufacturers.

I'm not sure how much these new spouts will help prevent burns to idiots who play with gasoline and fire....at the same time.....but I do know that they make filling a small engine a real chore.

My favorite.....an old military surplus Jerry Can with a flexible metal spout.

Joel ....

Picture Link
Parts and Repair Best Gas and Diesel fuel containers pour spout

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2014-02-27          189274

Joel,

Yup when I moved here a long time ago I stopped at an Army supply and bought one of those. Great can but its seems to have gotten heavier over the years! Or am I not as strong hmmmm....

I now use it to store fluids to be recycled.

I even fill my 6 gallon diesel cans to only 4.5 to make for less spills and easier handling :-) ....

View my Photos
minimac

2014-02-27          189275

The simple spout I was lucky enough to have bought just days before the flawed EPA changeover to unusable spouts! Ventless without the darn antispill! Works much better. ....

Picture Link

View my Photos
candoarms

2014-02-27          189276

Dennis,

I know what you mean about it getting heavier as the years go by!

I no longer keep them filled to the top. I keep two Jerry Cans on hand, but only put about 3 gallons in the one I use for the log splitter. After filling it, I'll steal some fuel from that can when I mix up the 2-stroke fuel for the chainsaws.

The other can is clearly marked for diesel. I use it to fuel my truck or tractor in a pinch.

The fuel in these cans is always fresh, as I empty them just before I make a trip to town to fill the truck. I'll then top off the cans at the same time.

For the chainsaws, I have a handy little 1/2 gallon can that works great. I like it because it's easy to pour from, and lasts through my noon break, when I'll mix up another batch of 2-stroke gas/oil to get me through the day.

Joel ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2014-02-27          189277

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimac | view 189275
The simple spout I was lucky enough to have bought just days before the flawed EVA changeover to unusable spouts!

The plastic can companies make can threads that do not always match so I never see a workable pour spot offered for sale separately...I would offer you $20 for that one but it probably does not fit... ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2014-02-28          189297

I took the guts out of my new spout a couple of weeks ago. Pours fine but at least mine was two parts and now leaks where joined. Was just pushed together. Guess I need to glue it. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2014-03-01          189347

I stopped using pour spouts years ago. Too much hassle and spillage.

I took a drill to the little flat stopper and made a hole just big enough to accept one end of a good long piece of clear tubing. Stuck the tubing through the hole far enough that it can reach the corners of the opposite side when it's in the neck of the Jerry can and applied a generous amount of RTV to both sides to seal it in place. Next a bit of a weight on the short end of the tube to keep it laying on the bottom of the Jerry can. Then drill a hole in the small vent cap to accept a Schrader valve or other air fitting of your choice.

When done, drop the tube into a full Jerry can, install the lock ring down over it and tighten. Put the new cap on the vent and tighten.

Now you can either; lift the Jerry can onto the hood of the tractor and just tip it over and back to start the fuel siphoning, or set the Jerry can near the tractor or on a front tire and apply a little air pressure to the vent side and use the trapped air pressure to 'pump' the fuel up into the tank.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Woodie
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2014-03-03          189383

Murf- Thanks for the idea...those cans sure are getting heavier each year..:-)lol I too have been frusrated with the ""new improved"" fill spouts/cans I'd given up trying to find any to my liking... Just so happened my neighbors were moving to their Northern Michigan place (more family up there for them) and they called me and mentioned come on over before we advertize the yard/moving sale if there would be of anything I'd want and yep found two old style plastic fuel cans one diesel and the other had kerosene but was bone dry just the cap missing on the spouts. both in good condition and no crud in them got them both for under $5. Found a couple plastic pipe plugs in my misc junk/nuts/ bolt bucket that fit the top of spouts.
Can't hurt to troll the yard/garage sales ....

View my Photos
boltboss

2014-03-03          189386

Here is a universal spout kit that is the only thing I could find when the original spouts on my plastic cans broke.

http://www.hardwareworld.com/EZPour-Replacement-Spout--Vent-Kit-p10K8T9.aspx?gclid=CNvaj5f59rwCFYZcMgodwE4A6A

These are not as good as the originals I replaced but they beat buying new cans with the stupid anti-spill caps.

JN ....

Picture Link

View my Photos
yooperpete

2014-03-03          189394

You should visit the site "nospill.com" for a nice gas can. They are expensive but you need to buy one. More than likely you will purchase several. I have 3 of the 2 1/2 gallon for filling quads, snowmobiles and scooters. They aren't too heavy to lift and the no-spill really works and vents well. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2014-03-04          189408

Yupper, Yooper nailed it. This is by far the best of the new breed of fuel cans.

And..... they make an extension spout in case you can't get the existing nozzle near the tank opening. ....

View my Photos
boltboss

2014-03-04          189409

The Nospill can looks like a really good solution. However, when I Googled it I came across a YouTube video of someone demonstrating the Nospill containers leaking at the container neck when they used it. Have you guys experienced similar leakage, or is this a video of a defective container or perhaps it is jury-rigged by someone out to defame the product?

JN ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2014-03-04          189410

Regarding containers getting heavier: I bought an inexpensive universal fuel pump from NAPA and put ~4 foot of 3/8" tubing on either end. My JD has a 12v aux (cigarette lighter type) receptacle inside the cab. So I wired the cigarette lighter plug end of an old 12v spotlight cable to the pump. Those without that convenience can simply put alligator clips on wires long enough to reach either the battery or the starter.

Slow, but dependable and safe. More importantly, easy on the back AND doesn't involve succumbing to the fuel container nazis

//greg// ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2014-03-04          189412

No problems with the leaks described.

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2014-03-04          189413

Jill with the No Spill I assume this is the one you guys are talking about? ....

Picture Link

View my Photos
yooperpete

2014-03-04          189414

Haven't had a problem with mine. One however after about 4 years developed a crack on the top part of the nozzle. That part is inside the tank and doesn't really cause a problem. A replacement is available, but haven't broke down to fix that yet. If you don't tighten the very top, I can see that a leak is possible. I have a local dealer that sells them. Just buy one! You will like it!! ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2014-03-05          189418

I remember someone either here or in a foreign land posting their fuel set up and it was sort of on the line of Murf's I think but with bigger tanks. ....

View my Photos
Cheymax

2021-03-19          200144

Read all of the posts from some years ago. Is the no spill brand can still the best or have they finally come up with something more reasonable?

I have the Briggs and Stratton can and I have broken the plastic nozzle on one and had to chuck th ewhole thing and get another one. Cheap can but cheasy plastic ....

Picture Link

View my Photos
ericjohnson

2021-03-22          200152

https://gasspouts.com/

They make a variety of spouts and also offer what is need to make their spouts adapt. I had fits getting fuel uo into the tank on my JD 970 with the mower attacked. I bought one of their kits plus an extension. Problem solved with my 2 foot flexible tube. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login