Go Bottom Go Bottom

Putting Gasoline in a Diesel Engine

View my Photos
chuckles
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2014-02-04          188827

My son is 18 and has seen me operating our Kubota Diesel Tractor for 10 years now. This morning he was surprised to hear that the Kubota cannot run on GASOLINE!

Teen boys seem to be slow on the pickup on anything they are not interested in... I have told him that the tractor runs on Diesel fuel many times.. I have encouraged him to operate the tractor but zero interest... not a VIDEO game I suppose.

In the off chance some unenlightened individual put gasoline in a diesel engine, it is my assumption that the outcome would be dependent on how concentrated the gasoline fill was...at 100% gasoline substitution I would think that early ignition might wreak havoc on the valve and piston rods.

Anything else as if that would not be bad enough ...:(

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2014-02-04          188828

How bad it can be not sure but of the two cases I am aware of both were in vehicles. Had employer once who filled her GM diesel with gas and it totally cut off. Had the gas drained and probably changed filters and don't think there was any other issue.
The other was my then Datsun diesel pickup and I put some gas into it before catching it as it was not a high ratio just finished filling with diesel.

Now if you want to know how a small gas engine runs with diesel can tell you..not well at all. Again suffered no damage still confused how that happened. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2014-02-04          188829

How bad it can be not sure but of the two cases I am aware of both were in vehicles. Had employer once who filled her GM diesel with gas and it totally cut off. Had the gas drained and probably changed filters and don't think there was any other issue.
The other was my then Datsun diesel pickup and I put some gas into it before catching it as it was not a high ratio just finished filling with diesel.

Now if you want to know how a small gas engine runs with diesel can tell you..not well at all. Again suffered no damage still confused how that happened. ....

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2014-02-05          188834

I haven't did it myself but had neighbors who used to run as much as 10% gasoline in their diesel farm tractors during super cold winter conditions. I used to add some kerosene until it got higher priced than whiskey, but never added gas myself. I'm not aware of any problems from it.

Frank. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login