Go Bottom Go Bottom

diesel engine not starting properly 1466 IH

View my Photos
buzzlight
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-05-25          153941

In the last week, my 1466 diesel IH has not wanted to start. It turns over like a bear, and just doesn't catch. It eventually goes but runs poorly for a moment until it warms up. This is an all of a sudden new problem. It sounds like it is not getting fuel, but the filters are new, and there is plenty in the tank. What else can cause starting problems? Once again, thanks for any advice.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-05-25          153943

They don't start well when they crank slow. Could be a battery that doesn't hold up under cranking load, or bad cables or ground connection. Does it start better when you jump it? ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2008-05-25          153944

Buzzlight,

Being that you live in one very cold climate, I'm guessing that you have water in your fuel tank.

During the daytime hours, your fuel tank warms up. The air inside the fuel tank expands as it warms. During the cooler evening hours, the air in your fuel tank begins to contract, drawing air in with the vacuum this creates.

Over a period of time the air inside your tank will draw in nearly a gallon of water with it, in the form of humidity. As the temps cool at night, the humidity in the air condenses, forming water droplets. These water droplets then settle to the bottom of your fuel tank, trapping them under the fuel.

To solve this problem, it is always best to top off your fuel tank before putting the tractor away for the evening. A full fuel tank allows no air to enter. (Doing this with your car will also prevent gas lines from freezing up during the winter.)

I would drain the fuel tank and then fill it with a fresh tank of diesel. In addition, I would replace any fuel filters, no matter how new they are.

Joel ....

View my Photos
PaulChristenson

2008-05-25          153947

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzlight | view 153941
In the last week, my 1466 diesel IH has not wanted to start.It turns over like a bear, and just doesn't catch. It eventually goes but runs poorly for a moment until it warms up. This is an all of a sudden new problem. It sounds like it is not getting fuel, but the filters are new, and there is plenty in the tank. What else can cause starting problems? Once again, thanks for any advice.

Well, if this were a Deere...here's some places to look

Engine Starts Hard or Won't Start
1.Air leak on the suction side of the system
2.Fuel too heavy at low temperature
3.Diesel injection nozzles faulty or sticking
4.Incorrect timing
5.Diesel automatic advance is faulty or not operating
6.Water in fuel
7.Filter clogged
8.Injection pump return fuel line or fittings restricted
9.Low cetane fuel
10.Injection pump 180 degrees out of time

Engine Does Not Develop Full Power
1.Air cleaner restricted
2.Low cetane fuel
3.Incorrect timing
4.Diesel automatic advance is faulty or not operating
5.Filter clogged
6.Air leak on the suction side of the system
7.Injection nozzles return lines clogged
8.Injection nozzles faulty or sticking
9.Injection pump return fuel line or fittings restricted
10.Injection pump housing not full of fuel
11.One or more connector screws obstructed
12.Water in fuel
13.Injection pump 180 degrees out of time

View my Photos
Murf

2008-05-26          153963

Or just clean the connection at the fuel shut off relay.

If there isn't 12 volts to the relay the injector pump will never develop pressure and the engine will not even try to fire.

Also check that nobody has pulled the cable shut-off out either.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2008-05-26          153979

Are you getting good smoke while cranking the engine? ....

View my Photos
Art White

2008-05-27          153988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf | view 153963
Or just clean the connection at the fuel shut off relay.If there isn't 12 volts to the relay the injector pump will never develop pressure and the engine will not even try to fire. Also check that nobody has pulled the cable shut-off out either.Best of luck.

Murf, they used a mechanical shut-off built into the throttle linkage at the pump. I'd doubt that it would cause this problem as there are so many other things on a thirty year old trctor that could be causing the problem. Those engines were normally that good of a starter that in there dy they would start better in the cold then some makes would when plugged in!

I like the list above for checking what might be wrong. They did have a over fuel devise worked into them for starting. They always should show a little black when first cranking. ....

View my Photos
buzzlight

2008-06-03          154205

THanks guys. I assumed water, after our nasty winter, and a not filled up tank. So I flipped through the manual, and found what is supposed to be a water drain, located on the lower right side of the engine ( next to the block heater)
And of course it is totally seized. So I tried to crack open the bleeder valve on the fuel filter, and also seized, silly brass bolt, and possibly me, possibly the previous owner in a moment of frozen hands and anger, using oh I don't know, vice grips or something, and now the bolt is rounded off.
Anyway, long story short, I decided to try the priming pump, gave it a few pumps, and then turned the key, and hit start, and the ol' beast started first push, like the bear she is. Go figure.
Can't wait to try tomorrow, and see what happens.
So, any thoughts, on how to get water out of the tank?
Thanks again! ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2008-06-03          154207

Buzzlight,

You may not have to drain the tank this time around. Being that the weather is much warmer this time of year, you may be able to get rid of any accumulated moisture by simply adding a dose of fuel additive to the tank.

Look for a product designed to help prevent diesel fuel lines from freezing and gelling up.

You really should get that drain fixed up so that you can use it periodically, but for now you can probably get by with a little fuel additive.

This coming Fall, be sure to keep your fuel tank full at all times. Fill it when you're done using it each time, rather than fill it before you go to use it the next time. Keeping the tank full (or nearly full) will prevent any moisture from accumulating in your diesel fuel.

Glad to hear you got the old gal going.

Joel ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login