Go Bottom Go Bottom

What Oil To Use With Kubota

View my Photos
botics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-08-18          144798

I am getting a Kubota B3030 and want to know which oil everyone would advise me to use. I assume for warranty issues Kubota is going to advise me to stick with their oil- but is there a better oil? Valvoline Blue? or perhaps someting else?

Thanks!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-08-18          144800

Botics; Get the oil Kubota recommends from the dealer. There are all kinds of oils available, but Kubota wouldn't recommend it if it were not the best for their tractors. They don't want early failures any more than you do. Frank. ....

View my Photos
botics

2007-08-18          144803

Makes sense to me... ....

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-08-19          144816

I assume you are thinking about engine oil and not transmission fluid.

During the warranty period I would buy Kubota oil and keep the receipts. After the warranty expires the best guide is the owners manual and the ratings printed on the oil bottle.

You definitely do not want a gasoline engine only rated oil in you diesel engine. ....

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-08-19          144817

Botics,

Kubota's engine oil costs about $3.10 per quart. If you use any other brand, you'll save only about 30 cents.

For the couple of bucks you'll save, at most, I don't see any reason to purchase anything but the Kubota oil.

Joel

View my Photos
bialecki

2007-12-02          148895

I spoke with a Kubota rep out in OH. and he indicated using Shell's Rotella "T" is an excellent oil and it will not void any Kubota warranty. I did my first oil change at 25 hours and went with Rotella T 15W-40. I did the first oil change at 25 hours only because I wanted to know what was in my new B7800 and I wanted to know the type and quality of my break-in oil. I then changed it at 50 hours with the same oil. The oil during the first change was very clean and still amber in color and no bad oil smell.

However when it came to hydrostatic fluid I used Kubota's SUDT. This replaced what ever discount fluid the dealer was using. The dealer I bought my Kubota from was also a large industrial Case dealer as well. I am sure he used whatever he could get at the cheapest cost, and surely it wasn't Kubota's SUDT. Lastly I did use Kubota's oil and transmission filters. Very well constructed as compared to a automotive Fram filter. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2007-12-02          148900

I use Shell Rotella full synthetic in my kubota 2910 and everything else I own. Unfortunately when I changed it last month I had run out of that oil and did not realize it. I did have some Delco Delvac 15w-40 to dump in to get by until the next change. I have found that the Kubota filters are no more than after market items. In fact, the air filter is more if purchased after market.

As far as the transmission is concerned, I used Kubota synthetic there (UDT?).

View my Photos
bialecki

2007-12-02          148902

cutter, what brand of oil filters do you recommend? ....

View my Photos
cutter

2007-12-02          148903

I use the Kubota filters. I did have a couple of Wix filters I used at one time but that was only due to the fact that the dealer was out of stock. Generally I use Wix or NAPA on the vehicles, never that Fram junk. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-12-03          148910

Bialecki; Does your owners manual recommend changing the breakin oil that soon,(25hrs.)? I'm not up on the very latest Deere recommendations, but a few years ago they did not want the breakin oil drained till the first secheduled change interval. Frank. ....

View my Photos
bialecki

2007-12-03          148916

"Bialecki; Does your owners manual recommend changing the breakin oil that soon,(25hrs.)? I'm not up on the very latest Deere recommendations, but a few years ago they did not want the breakin oil drained till the first secheduled change interval. Frank."

No the manual only states to change the initial oil at 50 hours, however, I was not thrilled with the dealership in CT that sold me my Kubota. I had to go over the setup with a fine tooth and comb and I found numerous setup mis-adjustments. So that being stated, I questioned the quality of oil used, etc. So after 25 hours I changed it.I do the same with any new car/ truck that I purchase. I usually change the initial break-in oil very frequently. I figure it really is only a few bucks and a little bit of my time. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2007-12-03          148919

I would be FAR more concerned about changing the oil early than about what the dealer is like.

The oil that every new 'Bota is delivered with is what the factory shipped it with. As Frank pointed out, the oil they come with is special 'break in' oil which allows all the critical components like bearings and rings to seat properly during the initial running period.

Changing this oil out too early can lead to all sorts of problems if everything isn't settled in place by then. When the synthetics and Amsoil and such first became all the rage there were all sorts of cases of people pouring it into a brand new motor thinking they were doing something good, and that the engine would last forever. That wasn't the case at all, in fact the opposite happened.

A local landscaper around here did exactly that, got a new CUT and swapped out the oil for Amsoil, even added a bunch of that friction modifier stuff, at about 500 hours it was back at the dealers for some major work. It cost him a pile to fix it.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-12-03          148920

Bialecki: Maybe I'm missing something here but why would your Kubota dealer have put the breakin oil in your tractor? Maybe Art or any Kubota dealer needs to chime in here to set me straight, but I really doubt that Kubota would ship their tractors dry for the dealer to fill the fluids upon delivery. Fill me in if I'm missinmg something here. Frank. ....

View my Photos
bialecki

2007-12-03          148921

"Bialecki: Maybe I'm missing something here but why would your Kubota dealer have put the break in oil in your tractor? Maybe Art or any Kubota dealer needs to chime in here to set me straight, but I really doubt that Kubota would ship their tractors dry for the dealer to fill the fluids upon delivery. Fill me in if I'm missing something here. Frank."

No you may be correct, I am not too sure if the engine comes with oil in it from Kubota. I wanted to change the oil at 25 hours, that's all. This way I knew what oil I was starting out with.I am sure all would have been fine if I continued to use the initial oil through to the 50 hour Kubota recommended oil change interval. The only thing lost was ~$20 and half hour of my time by changing it sooner than recommended.

View my Photos
cutter

2007-12-03          148922

Good question. I have seen how they are shipped, pretty much in a crate, so they may leave the machine dry to avoid a spill, who knows. We need Art!

Many new vehicles now come direct from the factory with synthetic oil in the crankcase. I have let all of my tractors go no more than 50 hours before the first change and then change it again in 50 or less hours.

I asked my Dodge dealer about the Cummins in my truck and he stated to run it several thousand miles prior to the first change to let the rings seat. I am up around 4 or 5 thousand now so I plan on switching over. However, the Mobil and Amsoil websites claim there really is no reason not to go with the synthetic immediately. The old oil debate begins again :)....

View my Photos
bialecki

2007-12-03          148923

One thing I forgot to point out, was when the tractor was delivered new, the oil was indeed down approximately 3/8ths of a quart of oil.

With respect to "Murf's" comment; I never heard of such a thing called special break-in oil from an OEM. I am sure others would have heard of this as well. I wouldn't doubt what an OEM fills their engines with initially is bought in bulk and meets their specs., i.e., CF, etc. But to be a "special" break-in oil, I doubt it. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2007-12-03          148924

First off, there is a HUGE difference between a gas & diesel engine.

If you look at the 'myths' page of Mobil (amongst others) website you will see a list of vehicles that come from the factory with Mobil 1 synthetic in them.

However, if you look at the list, there is neither a diesel, nor a vehicle in there with a cat. 1 3pth, nor capable of pulling much of a trailer. I really don't care about what oil comes in an Aston Martin, a Porsche, a Mercedes SLR or a Viper SRT-10.

I do however want my diesel to last as long, and run as well as possible.

Interestingly enough, the Cummins shop manuals still to this day lay out a 'proper' break-in schedule for ALL Cummins products.

I think I'd listen to the people that designed & built the engine before I took someone elses word for it.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2007-12-03          148925

From John Deere's Product Support people.....

"John Deere Break-In Oil (from John Deere product support).

The first 100 hours of operation are critical to the life and performance of an engine. During the first hours of operation, the rings and liners must seat (establish a pattern) for proper performance. If this does not occur, the life of the engine can be adversely affected.

John Deere Engine Break-In Oil (part number TY22057) is a special-blend oil developed to be used in rebuilt or remanufactured engines and new John Deere engines during the break-in period.

This unique oil is formulated with special additives to allow the power cylinder components (pistons and liners) to "wear-in" while protecting other engine components (valve train and gears) from abnormal wear. These additives control piston and liner seating without scuffing. This oil also provides excellent piston deposit control. As a result, piston rings and liners establish a good wear pattern for maximum performance and extended engine life.

High-quality premium engine oils should not be used as a break-in oil. The superior anti-wear characteristics of premium oils will inhibit the proper matching of components which could result in excessive oil consumption.

New John Deere engines are filled at the factory with John Deere Engine Break-In Oil. During the break-in period, add John Deere Engine Break-In Oil (part number TY22057) as needed to maintain the specified oil level.

Important: Do not use PLUS-50 oil or engine oils meeting API CH-4, API CG4, API CF4, ACEA E3, or ACEA E2 performance levels during the first 100 hours of operation of a new or rebuilt engine. These oils will not allow the engine to break-in properly."

Of course they could be wrong too.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
randywatson

2007-12-03          148926

I'm with Murf,
go by what the manufacturer on the equip says, specially on new from the factory equipment, their engineers know what needs to be done to secure good life of their equipment.

I run kubota oil in my kubota, motorcraft in my ford, even though the Kubota is freshly rebuilt by yours truely, I used kubota parts, therefore kubota oil...and filters.

Any slight savings in the price of cheaper oil/filter will be offset in cost of future repairs... ....

View my Photos
bialecki

2007-12-03          148927

I see your point, however, if you note my first response on page one, I called the Kubota rep out in Ohio and asked them about the oil, they specifically stated that Shell's Rotella "T" is recommended. Now the technical rep did not indicate that Kubota has a special break-in oil like John Deere. I doubt that Shell's Rotella "T" would cause any adverse affects if used during the break-in of any diesel engine. If it did Kubota would not recommend it. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-12-03          148928

Bialecki; Do believe Murf about the adverse affects of going to any oil other than the breakin oil before the first change is recommended. At the risk of stirring up the Amzoil folks I'll relate a true story. This likely would have happened with any synthetic oil, I'm only using the Amzoil example because it was the brand involved. A friend of mine bought a new IH 1086 farm tractor in whatever years they were produced. It was delivered to him during the winter, so it was parked in the shed without any use. An Amzoil salesperson came along, convinced my friend to drain the factory oil with maybe one or two engine hours and replace it with Amzoil. By about the third season of use with less than 1000 engine hours this engine was using oil so bad that he couldn't afford the Amzoil to keep it full. Needless to say he and the Amzoil folks went round and round over who was going to pay for the overhaul. I really don't think the Amzoil was to blame, but the salesperson who recommended him to dump the breakin oil was more responsible than anyone else. I think I would contact someone farther up the ladder than the person who never heard of Kubota breakin oil. Frank. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-12-03          148929

Maybe Just a bit of history on breakin oils, Back in the late fiftys and sixties, before diesel engines became popular in farm tractors, we usually overhauled "H" and "M" Farmalls ourselves, they were a pretty simple engine to work on. I don't remember any oil specificaly called breakin oil, but #10 non detergent was always used as the breakin oil for the first change period even in hot weather when #30 was normally used. Frank. ....

View my Photos
bloggins

2007-12-03          148930

The rule-of-thumb for engine builders is too break-in an engine using regular run-of-the-mill oil, nothing fancy with modifiers or moly, as you want "wear" to occur. It's said that a new car doesn't see its peak power until after about 10,000 Km's (Hmmm: 6350 miles) as the engine has to loosen up so to speak (it's built tight). It may be that high-perf gas engines are better built to exacting tolerences so they can run synthetics from day 1 (hence Mobil 1's claim). ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login