Go Bottom Go Bottom

Hand Tool Treatment

View my Photos
Billy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-01-23          139087

To start out with I keep my hand tools in an open barn. Whatever the humidity is outside, it's the same inside.

My question is... What's the best rust preventive you all use? Is there some magical oil that will adhere to metal better than XYZ?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Hand Tool Treatment

View my Photos
dsg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-01-23          139088

Marvel Mystery Oil has always worked for my tools.

David ....

Hand Tool Treatment

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-01-23          139089

Some guys here on the Gulf Coast where the air is salty were telling me they use a product made by AmsOil fr keeping aluminum boat motors fresh looking. Haven't seen it myself, but AmsOil in general is good stuff.

I use whatever is on hand to spray my tools. PB Blaster I feel is a bunch of hype. WD-40 which gets is name sake from "water displacing formula number 40" is as good as any IMHO. ....

Hand Tool Treatment

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2007-01-23          139090

something that has worked for me in the past is to fill an old 5 gallon plastic bucket 3/4 full with sand and pour a couple of quarts of motor oil in and stir it up. when you finish with a tool or just before storing dip it up and down in the sand. It will get cleaned and oiled at the same time. keep the sand bucket under cover so it will not fill up with water and cause a mess. As for the wooden handles I sand, stain, and clear coat every so often. Lowes here has a great selectionl of wooden handles real cheap that is some time the way to go. If I paint it is with RustOlem (SP) ....

Hand Tool Treatment

View my Photos
Murf

2007-01-23          139091

I don't have the website info. handy, but look up something called "Rust Reaper" on Google.

I've never seen anything that works like it does.

Best of luck. ....

Hand Tool Treatment

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-01-23          139093

Murf might you be thinking of Rust Mort? It's a chemical that changes rust to a primer used in automotive applications like in door and quarter panels. ....

Hand Tool Treatment

View my Photos
Chief

2007-01-23          139110

A VERY good and cost effective steel preservative for shovels, picks, axes, etc. is to coat the steel with Lineseed oil after you have cleaned them up and they have dried. Keeps them looking like new until the next time you need them. ....

Hand Tool Treatment

View my Photos
bvance

2007-01-23          139112

Here in the Great Pacific NorthWet, I do what SG does, but with a bit different twist. I just leave the tools in the oil treated sand in a bucket in the shop all year round.

Works great! ....

Hand Tool Treatment

View my Photos
Billy

2007-01-23          139113

I should have made myself a little clearer from the start. When I said hand tools, I was talking about sockets, wrenches and such. Sorry about that.

Maybe just an old oily rag would work as good as anything? I'm just looking for something that has some staying power.

Thanks guys
Billy ....

Hand Tool Treatment

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-01-23          139114

As I'm reading the replies I couldn't help but chuckle to myself that once upon a time I used to take care of my tools. I mean, I've been a contractor for the past 8 years. I used to buy the top-of-the-line stuff. Then I realized that theives like the same high-quality stuff too! Whodathunk? So after having about $30,000-$40,000 in tools stolen I buy the cheapest (but most reliable) stuff I can. I found theives won't steal Ryobi stuff or Black and Decker or even some Craftsman. So guess what I buy?

And what's funnier if I were to show up on a job where the tools looked good, they'd think I never used them. Perception is everything?

Recently I had a young contractor tell me that I should not have a nice looking truck with new-looking (they're 4 years old) signage on it because it looks like I went out and just started the biz recently and nobody will trust me! (His truck is 10 years old and beat up so maybe he's jealous??) ....

Hand Tool Treatment

View my Photos
kwschumm

2007-01-24          139120

Aren't your sockets and wrenches chrome plated? :) ....

Hand Tool Treatment

View my Photos
oneace

2007-01-24          139123

All I use is the rag at the end of the day. My tools get SOAKED,!!! as well as me when it rains. Some of my older stuff has a little bit of rust but not thing that really concerns me, and they still do the job. Now MY joints on the other hand are really rusty and hardly want to move some time that is a story for another time.

For the life of me I just can't convince my customers to build me a shop in the middle of there corn field or job site. I would(n't) do for them. ....

Hand Tool Treatment

View my Photos
Murf

2007-01-24          139126

Nope, I meant "Rust Reaper", killer stuff.

I've seen it break rusty bolts loose that I was sure were going to need the gas wrench. ;)

Best of luck. ....

Link:   Rust Reaper

Hand Tool Treatment

View my Photos
dsg

2007-01-24          139129

Billy, thats what I was talking about, Hand tools. I have a couple rags laying around that have MM-oil on them (not soaked) but lightly oiled and when I get done using a tool I just quickly wipe it down. The thing that seems to rust hand tools the quickest is the salt in your hands/skin.

David ....

Hand Tool Treatment

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2007-01-24          139142

Use the tool more and that will knock the rust off.:-) ....

Hand Tool Treatment

View my Photos
Billy

2007-01-24          139143

Yes, Ken, they are all chrome plated. I was just trying to get that extra protection. Kind of like insurance you hopefully won't need :) ....

Hand Tool Treatment

View my Photos
Billy

2007-01-24          139145

SG, funny you should mention that. To make a long story short, I had all my tools stolen. I gotta have tools so I go buy another set. The stolen set comes home ;) ....

Hand Tool Treatment

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-01-24          139148

Billy, in moving a few year back stored my hand tools in barn with dirt floor...still upset about the amount of rust on even some of the crome tools. Guess I should have oiled them down first.

It probably is not worth the cost of special cabinet and such but you could do that and install a little heater like used in pianos and gun cabinets.

Hand Tool Treatment

View my Photos
Iowafun

2007-01-25          139169

i haven't had to worry too much about rust. Mine seem to gather enough oil/grease during use. I wipe them and then put them back in place. But there seems to be a thin film left after I wipe them. But moisture does take their toll on them in the long run. ....

Hand Tool Treatment

View my Photos
Oposite of softwood.
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-01-25          139173

Thought I'd try to post this way, the TP website doesn't recognize me as a member, I no longer have a profile page, can someone else check to se of my profile shows up for them. Thanks, Frank. ....

Hand Tool Treatment

View my Photos
kwschumm

2007-01-26          139181

Hardwood, your profile is still there. Try deleting the browser cookies and cache and try again. If you're using IE go to Tools|Internet Options and click 'delete cookies' and 'delete files'. ....

Hand Tool Treatment

View my Photos
Oposite of softwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-01-26          139182

KW, Thank you for the response with the suggestions on curing my problem, Murf E-mailed me too amd said the profile came up fine. First of all I must again confess of my lack of computer skills. No. 3 son is coming by this weekend to help me pick out a new laptop. Other friends with whom I E-mail on a regular basis have called wondering why I don't answer, I never got them. So soon as No. 3 gets me fixed up I'll let him read your suggestions. Thanks again, I sure do miss not being able to post. Frank. P.S. The wireless did'nt work out. The man from their company came to the house, climbed on the roof with a gizmo of some kind and said he could find two of their antennas but neither had a strong enough signal to be satisfactory. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login