Go Bottom Go Bottom

Setting up A 30 Gallon Drum for Diesel Storage

View my Photos
lbrown59
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-07-09          131923

Setting up A 30 Gallon Drum for Diesel Storage:

I just bought a 30 galloon plastic drum and have some questions on setting it up.

1*What do I need to prevent air compressor water from entering the drum?
2*How do I drain any water that accumulates in the bottom of the drum?
3*Does the fuel filter go on the inlet or outlet side of a 12 volt pump?
4*How do I vent it?
5*What are the Pros and Cons of using liquid VS Air pumps?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-07-10          131933

I'll try to answer some of your questions. The numbers here relate to those of youre questions.

1) A water separator for the outlet line of your compressor, they are only a few dollars, and you should have one anyways to protect air tools, etc., from moisture.

2) You shouldn't get any, but for extra safety, don't have your pickup tube right at the bottom, raise it up an inch or so, and pickup a water absorbant cartridge for the tank. It is a small plastic mesh tube filled with a special chemical which absorbs water, but not fuel, they are available anywhere they sell snowmobile supplies, or online. You tie a string to it, and tie the other end to the inside of the cap. Periodically have a peek, if it has water in it the chemical changes colour from white (clean) to pink or red (dirty) to show you.

3) Filter should be on the outlet side, so as not to starve the pump. If you use a good quality filtering funnel there is no need of a further filter IMHO.

4) Either buy a vented cap, or istall a small pipe with a 180° bend in it. Just be sure if you are going to use air to pump fuel, that you have a way of closing the vent, and that you remember to open it afterwards.

5) Mechanical pumps are either manually operated, or electric, if you are fueling without assistance, a hand pump can be a PITA. If you do not have electricity nearby (12 volts or 120 volts) an electric pump is no good to you. Although not much concern with diesel, static sparks are a concern with electric pumps. Air requires at the very least a tank charged with air to operate. On the other hand, without air nobody can steal your fuel either.

The third option you have is to merely make a stand high enough that you can lay the tank down on the stand and have it gravity feed the tractors fuel tank. The one issue some people have with this is the potential for leakage or vandalism in an unprotected area, if fuel is allowed to leak, it will continue until the tank is empty.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-07-10          131962

I have seen air pressure used to push fuel from tank. If you are planning on doing that be sure the pressure is very well controlled. A busted tank would not be much fun. You would need a nozzle on the hose if you apply pressure to the tank as you can not stop the air in time to prevent fuel from running over. You would also want to be sure the hose used to pressurized the tank is not in the fuel or it would feed backwards when you need to let off pressure.I suspect you are talking about the pumps that have an air driven action. I have never seen one of those used on fuel.

I use a filter with clear plastic case on my pump. It is easy to tell if there is water in it. The filter cartiridge is suppose to capture a certain amount of water but it has a drain cock.

The gravity feed tank works well but how are you filling it? I suspect a 30 gallon tank means you are hauling it. So then how would you get it back up there? If you are using a manual pump it will have stop and go movement, this will put a strain on the threads. Even on my steel tank I hold the pump with one hand while pumping with the other. Enough flex and any material fails. Don't use the same port for the pump and filling as you will wear them out.

Don't forget fuel treatment for stored fuel. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2006-07-10          131964

Kenneth, some time back we had a rather long thread on what people use to fill their machines.

Some use pumps on tanks, some the trusty old climb up and pour from a 5 gallon can.

I described how we use both, we use a $5 air regulator on an air tank or compressor to pressurize a tank, be it 5 gallon or 500 gallon, with just enough air to push the diesel up into the machine.

I believe it is this process LBrown is asking about, but you also make some excellent points too.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-07-10          131967

Murf,

There is one thing I learned the hard way regardless of what method you use to fill your equipment tank...put the cap where you will remember to replace it. Like the seat of the equipment. Found out I was not the only person that had that same issue.

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-07-12          132068

lbrown,

Last night looking for sprayer tank and notice all the plastic tanks I was looking at had a big do not use for petroleum product storage. Made me wonder if some plastic tanks are approved for that?

View my Photos
lbrown59

2006-07-12          132073

Last night while looking for a sprayer tank I noticed all the plastic tanks I looked at had a big do not use for petroleum product storage label on them. It made me wonder if some plastic tanks are approved for that?
kthompson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's because of the seals and gaskets used on the sprayers not the tank itself.
I had this issue with a 15 gallon sprayer I got at TS so I took it back and got my money back.
MY First Car
http://chevy.tocmp.com/chevyscrapbook/files/kamp50.jpg

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-07-12          132074

lbrown59,

These was just the tank. No fittings.

View my Photos
lbrown59

2006-07-13          132098

1*how are you filling it? I suspect a 30 gallon tank means you are hauling it.
2*So then how would you get it back up there?
3*You would need a nozzle on the hose if you apply pressure to the tank as you can not stop the air in time to prevent fuel from running over.
k thompson
===============
1* Two distributors and a bulk plant will stop by and top off the 30 gallon drum whenever they are in my area.
2*In case I would have to haul it occasionally:
drum would be attached to a dolly and roll it right off my pickup onto a shelf the same height as the tailgate. This would also allow me to lift the drum off the truck with my bucket forks and place it on the shelf or on the floor or ground.
3*Was thinking about trying an air hose nozzle for that.

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-07-14          132137

lbrown,

The dealers here require at least 100 gals to make the stop.

Your number 3, are you saying you will pump the diesel fuel through an air hose nozzle? If so I don't beleive you will be pleased at best it sure would be slow. It might cause the fuel to foam up a lot.

Your number 2, if you only file it when your tractor is low (that is when I think fuel) and then fill your tractor is will make it lighter if you must move it. ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2006-07-14          132178

1*Your number 3, are you saying you will pump the diesel fuel through an air hose nozzle?
If so I don't believe you will be pleased at best it sure would be slow.
It might cause the fuel to foam up a lot.
3*The dealers here require at least 100 gals to make the stop.

kthompson ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1* I'm talking about one of those nozzles you use on the end of an air compressor hose to blow off things like work benches table tops your mower deck etc.
Just take the tip out of it or saw the end of it off.
One could also use any gas or water pipe shut off valve.
3*The 3 suppliers here require at least a 150 gal order for delivery but that only applies if they have to make an extra trip or a special delivery.
Lets say they are going to be in my area next Wednesday but I call wanting a delivery say on one of the other days of the week this would cause them an extra trip for the special delivery so I would have to order 150 gallons.
However If I tell them I need my drum filled Wednesday they will top it off then because it don't cost them another trip to do it cause they are already here in my neighborhood.

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-07-14          132183

You gotta make sure the drum is vented--my buddies left me three, 30 gallon drums with gas and diesel in them. They sat in the hot sun fully closed and they looked like Weebles ready to fall over the ends ballooned out.

30 gallons is really a drop in the bucket...errr...drum. Also, your local DOT may stop you if you are transporting it on the roadways since it is not certified as a fuel storage vessel. To get around being stopped or rather comply with the law, I found a new, 60-gal, take-off, school bus fuel tank complete with brazed-on USDOT- compliant certification label, and drain hole bungs. All I did was put a bung in it for the pump and install a hand-operated push-pull pump with a cartridge filter with a 6' hose ($100 for the tank and $120 for filter, fittings, pump and hose from TSC) It's all handily mounted on the front of my bobcat trailer, but can be removed with forks from under or a lifting lug on top (oh yeah, forgot to mention I made a raised platform with a basket handle lifting lug).

Also, in some localities at least where I'm from, it is illegal to have an elevated tank for fuel (the story goes too many were abandoned on farms in the area and/or toppled over for whatever reason). The Fire Marshall will cite you if he finds an elevated take in your possession. Even ground-level tanks must have an integrated reservoir around it equal to its volume. And a fire arresting enclosure atop the tank covering the reservoir. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login