Go Bottom Go Bottom

Synthetic oil

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-12-22          121549

In following some other threads on synthetic hyd. oil and getting lost.

May I ask if anyone has used synthetic motor oil in their tractor and if they notice any improvement(s).

Please no commercials.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Synthetic oil

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-12-22          121551

I purchased a 55 gallon barrel of John Deere 15W-40 Plus 50 awhile back which is a synthetic blend (so Deere says) that I use in my 4410 and my Cummins. I have tried Shell 5W-40 Rotella T synthetic and the only difference I noticed was that the Cummins did not make as much oil pressure with the Rotella on cold start ups during cold weather which is an indicator that the Deere oil is probably much thicker or viscous when cold. I have not way to tell on the 4410. Both oils seem to hold up well and the Deere oil was much cheaper. (the Deere oil came to about $1.28 per quart vs around $3.00 per quart for the Rotella)

Personally, I think I would use the Rotella or a full synthetic oil if I lived in an extreme cold area. ....

Synthetic oil

View my Photos
dsg

2005-12-22          121573

Delvac 1, made by Mobil is the best full synthetic oil for diesels. (IMHO)

David ....

Synthetic oil

View my Photos
kthompson

2005-12-23          121604

dsg,

Where do you find that oil? I don't know I have ever seen it.

Thank each of you.
kt ....

Synthetic oil

View my Photos
Peters

2005-12-23          121614

I have run the regular Delvac in the truck and think it stands up better than the regular Rotella. I have not run the synthetic Delvac 1. I also have trouble finding it. With the name game that is going on I am not sure from Mobile literature (MSDS and Specifications) that it is synthesized ethylene chains or converted (hydrotreated) regular oil like Rotella T Synthetic. From the specifications I would think the shell Rotella Synthetic is a better low temperature, cold start oil and Mobile 1 is a better high temperature oil. The Rotella has better flow at low temperatures and the Delvac has slightly better high temperature oxidation resistance.
Has Murf run the Petro Canada Duron Synthetic? It has better low temperature and high temperature viscosity numbers. I am not sure about high temperature oxidation resistance. ....

Synthetic oil

View my Photos
Murf

2005-12-23          121618

You rang??? LOL

"Has Murf run the Petro Canada Duron Synthetic?"

I have but not in anything but the genset. I wanted something that would stay stable over long periods and allow easier cold-weather starts.

That and my next door neighbour drives a fuel delivery truck for a Petro Can. distributor. ;->

I haven't so much as pulled the dipstick out since it was put in there, so I can't say much more than that.

Best of luck. ....

Synthetic oil

View my Photos
dsg

2005-12-23          121623

kt, I buy the Delvac at my local Napa. Most of the construction/heavy equipment outfits in this area run Delvac in their diesels, especially in the winter.

David ....

Synthetic oil

View my Photos
kthompson

2005-12-23          121639

David,
Thanks, have not purchased oil from NAPA in long time. Had been buying Rotella from another parts dealer and other oils from another.
kt ....

Synthetic oil

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-12-23          121646

You can buy Delvac on the internet.

Straight Mobil 1 carries a very high diesel rating..CF or CG. I have used it in a couple of diesel engines. When I put it in my RTV 900 the fixed idle speed jumped about 100 RPM just from the reduced friction.

I have no doubts that Delvac is a better true diesel oil and I may look into it.

Link:   

Click Here

Synthetic oil

View my Photos
Peters

2005-12-24          121651

Rankin; If you look at the specifications for both they are identical for the 5W-40 weights. The Delvac 1 has the Cummins and other engine manufactures approvals. Probably badge engineering.

The Mobile 1 5W-30 does not have as high a rating only CF and CD and I personally would not use it, in a diesel. It has been a long time ago but I believe I tested the 5W-30 in my JD 750 in the winter. The first year I had it. I had to change oil early as I burn a quart before 25 hours. ....

Synthetic oil

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-12-24          121656

Whatever Mobil 1 rates at, I remember it met the exact specs in the RTV manual. That said, it is a lot smarter to use a diesel specific oil.

And now a technical question for Peters: You have said that Rotella Syn is derived from natural oil base stock.

After they do what they do to it, is it as good as an oil derived from a pure synthetic base stock?

Thanks......

Synthetic oil

View my Photos
kthompson

2005-12-24          121664

Is this where we compare full syn to 100% syn? I sure hope this does not go the way of the syn hyd oil. But I hope there is a simple answer to is one as good as the other. I for one like simple.

Synthetic oil

View my Photos
dsg

2005-12-24          121666

Simple is like common sense, not much of it around now days:))

David ....

Synthetic oil

View my Photos
Peters

2005-12-24          121671

Thanks for the vote of confidence guys. I looked at this earlier and can not find a objective review on the web.
To put it simply I don't think the main difference is between the base stocks. A linear ethylene chain (100% synthetic) has slightly better high temperature stability, if the chain ends are effectively capped. A severely hydrotreated mineral base stock (fully synthetic) may have slightly better flow characteristics. At this point the differences are so slight who cares.
Now for the kick in the head, as a chemist there is no such thing as a 100% synthetic oil or a fully synthetic oil. All the oils have surfactants to suspend the dirt, carbon and sludge that get into the oil. Some of the linear ethylene chain oils use 5-15% mineral oil to mix in the surfactants. All the oils have antioxidants and chemicals to reduce the build up of acids. Additionally they normally have chemical components added or reacted to the oils to increase the film strengths.
The main differences in the synthetic oils are these additives. Just as the abilities of regular mineral oils are constantly being improved through additives the abilities of the synthetic are also being improved. For example: in previous post we brought to light the fact that Mobil 1 had improved their package a few months ago.
What might be the best this year, may be second best next year, although the oil company may not tell you they are changing their formulation of their oils. These minor components are not listed on the MSDS or spec sheets. ....

Synthetic oil

View my Photos
kthompson

2005-12-26          121741

Those that have used the synthetic oils, did you use the oil change recommendations of the oil? I "assume" syn diesel oil has longer change periods.

Synthetic oil

View my Photos
dsg

2005-12-27          121808

I do not extend the oil change interval. If I can, whats the sense, I'm using this (more expensive/better quality oil) to make my engine last as long as I can, Not to squeeze every penny out of the increased cost. (IMHO)

David ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login