Go Bottom Go Bottom

Synthetic Oil

View my Photos
Terry
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-01-20          12121

Hate to open an old thread but does anyone know anything about AMSOIL I understand that its been around sence the earily 70s and one of the first to make it, most all the race car in my area use this brand. I was thinking of using it in my 4400 but seems to very costly, thanks for any input.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Synthetic Oil

View my Photos
Bill

2000-01-20          12132

Terry, At the risk of causing all hell to break loose here again, Amsoil is a good product. It is expensive, but I feel the benefits outway the costs. I have used this in an F250 International Navistar for 7 years now. Changed the oil once. This is because I use a special system that cleans the oil to under one micron. I would immagine that this could be addapted to your JD 4400, as long as you have place for the filter. I use oil analysis along with this too. Cold starts are not dry starts with this oil, and if you live where it's been very cold lately, she'll turn over much more easily ta boot.And my tractor has it in all the sumps too As long as the SAE grade and API rating are correct, this oil is guaranteed not to screw up your motor, as long as it was sound to begin with. There are gonna be some who tell ya here that it ain't worth it to use this, or any synthetic, but if your interested already, it can't hurt. There are some synthetics which I would not use, but this one has worked for me very nicely. If you want more info, email me direct and I would be happy to try to help. I just don't want a big hullabalue like the last time I answered one of these threads like this. There is another thread, extremely long, under fuel and lub, I think the name was synthetic vs petro and filter quality, unless the webmaster changed it again. Lots of opinions there, worth the read, and some good laughs, that's if they were not all censored, anyway. Hope I helped. Bill ....

Synthetic Oil

View my Photos
Terry

2000-01-21          12138

Bill thanks for the insite, Iv'e found the website for AMSOIL on the internet, there seems to be severals diesel oils. I was thinking of going with the 3000 series 5w30 oil, witch do you use and they also have some diesel fuel additive do you use any of these. Thanks again Tery ....

Synthetic Oil

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

2000-01-21          12142

Terry,
I have experience "USING" about 6 different synthetic oils. For various reasons I feel AMSOIL provides the most bang for the buck. I also feel its the Least expensive to use over the life of the product, although it generally carries a bit higher purchase price than some. A few synthetic brands I've used, I could not find or see even 1 benefit to its higher price tag over a good quality petro product. My next oil change in my 98' Cummins will use the series 3000 5-30, so I cannot personally comment on it performance charactoristics. But I do know a few who have and rave about it. To be honest...it should be wonderful...Its even more expensive than Synthetic 15-40. If you want additional info, feel free to e-mail me directly, because this will be my only post under this thread.
Otherwise, your question will end up similar to a presidential debate over a $315 toilet seat. ....

Synthetic Oil

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

2000-01-21          12143

Terry,
Since you appear interested, I'm including a link you may find interesting to read. Obviously it has potential for Bias, due to the fact that many lines are stated by AMSOIL. Therefore, take it as you wish.

www.oil-tech.com/extended.htm ....

Link:   

Click Here

Synthetic Oil

View my Photos
Ed C In Vt

2000-01-21          12144

Where does someone go to buy AMSOIL? I understand it is not sold in stores. Is that true? After reading all of the threads about synthetic oils on this forum and on others, I'm ready to try it. If someone can help me, please send me an e-mail. Thanks in advance. ....

Synthetic Oil

View my Photos
RCH

2000-01-21          12145

I've just re-worked my millennium count-down clock to see how long it takes Mark Chalkley to enter the fray re synthetic oil!

Synthetic Oil

View my Photos
MChalkley

2000-01-21          12147

RCH, you could've used a stopwatch. (You talked me into it.) Ed, it depends on the store. Several of the NAPA stores in my area carry it. But a number of dealers I know sell it for less. Some of them (like me) even sell it at cost. BTW, RCH, what did you expect me to say? ;>) ....

Synthetic Oil

View my Photos
Ed C In Vt

2000-01-25          12226

Hi guys. I received several e-mails recommending what AMSOIL products to use for my tractor and other vehicles, and instructions on how to purchase it. When they are due their next oil changes, I plan to make the switch. I've never used synthetics before, and will share with you my experiences afterwards. Thanks to all that took the time to send me the info I was looking for. I really appreciate it! ....

Synthetic Oil

View my Photos
Gary Anderson

2000-11-21          21682

I could not help see the posts on Amzoil, I have used this oil for 15 years in boats, tractors, aircraft, snowmobiles, race cars, differentials, transmissions, aircommpressors, motorcycles and boats and it is good oil. One thing you must remember is to not put it in for 50-100 hours or 3-5K on a automobile. It is so slippery that the rings will not seat in. When I have 100hrs on my 4200 JD it will get Amzoil. The thing I like about it is the cold cranking of an engine up here where it gets to -40 below, they start like it was 60 above, and even in the hydrostatic, they do not get stiff. And as far as automatic trans and engine will take 500 degree more heat without breaking down. gary ....

Synthetic Oil

View my Photos
Rob Munach

2000-11-22          21697

I too use Amsoil for everything - EXCEPT I don't use their gear oil in manual transmissions (not that this applies to most tractors). I've tried it in two vehicles and in both cases, the shifting performance declined because the synchronizers would not "grab" as well. I switched to Redline MTL synthetic and have been extremely happy. ....

Synthetic Oil

View my Photos
richard james allen

2000-11-22          21702

Terry, I am in the same boat as you. After questioning the tractor boards, reviewing the web sites of the major synthetic mfgs, contacting the Kohler, Briggs&Stratton, Scagg, and Kubota service centers, and even getting a subscription to Consumer reports, I have concluded (for me) that;
1. Synthetic is better than the Pet. oils. (newer engines only).
2. Extended drain times work only if you have special filtering in play.
3. Additional additives are crap and can cause problems.
4. Due to the cost and availability of the synthetic oils, I have started to use Mobil 1 tri synthetic. (I am sticking close to the manufactures recommended oil change intervals).
It will probably take half of a year to see if my conclusions are valid.

Good Luck. Rich ....

Synthetic Oil

View my Photos
cutter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-11-22          21706

Gary, Is that brand synthetic oil acceptable for use in the hydraulics and transmission of newer tractors? I have a tc29d and it calls for a hydro change at 500hrs. I may do it sooner if it corrects the noise that increases porportionately with the drop in temp. here. I don't want to void the warranty. When I inquired at the dealer, they said N/H makes a "semi" synthetic oil. Never heard of such a thing, have you? ....

Synthetic Oil

View my Photos
Chris

2000-11-22          21708

Cutter, your owners manual should recommend changing pretty much everything after the first 50hrs. I just performed the 50hr service on my TC25D in october and replaced the engine oil and hydraulic fluid with AMSOIL. I feel it has made a huge difference in the cold Minnesota temps. ....

Synthetic Oil

View my Photos
cutter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-11-22          21709

Chris, I will check it again, but if I recall correctly it says filter at 50 and oil at 500. My J/D was the same requirement per the manual. I believe the hydraulics and hydro transmission are different sumps, at least there are two different filters. Is it wise to use the synthetic in the hydro trans? I will change it all if that is the case. Thanks. ....

Synthetic Oil

View my Photos
Gary Anderson

2000-11-22          21710

Cutter, The answer to your questionis yes it works great in the hydostatic, contact a dealer and find out what grade for the temp you run. And I think you are rite on the 500 hours on the hydraluic, I have the 4200 and that is what it also says, If I am not mistaken they use the same oil. Not sure what tractor you have. Chris, I see you also live in Mn. Where about? I live near Minneapolis. As far as Companies not honoring warentees with sny oil, I have been through all this before and they have to, its the law. The only place I have had a problem with sny,is a wet starter clutch slippage problem but contribute it to a worn clutch, as soon as put conventional oil back in curred it. gary ....

Synthetic Oil

View my Photos
cutter

2000-11-22          21711

Yes Gary, I tend to agree with you on the synthetic oil. I just checked the manual again and the N/H is 300hrs for the change, two filters but only one sump. I remember the 500hr. interval from my J/D. I still am not sure if that N/H oil the dealer claims is "semi-Synthetic", is any different than their regular 134 oil. I will do some checking on that. ....

Synthetic Oil

View my Photos
MChalkley

2000-11-22          21715

Cutter - I've used Amsoil ATH in a number of Kubota tractors, with excellent results, including my current L4310HST with, obviously, an HST transmission. Switching to the Amsoil lowered the transmission temperatures and made the transmission a lot quieter, particularly in cold weather. Others have told me they noticed similar results.

MarkC ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login