Go Bottom Go Bottom

cold weather fuel

View my Photos
grinder
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-12-04          120356

Looking for the latest, greatest fuel additive for cold
weather. -30 or more? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

cold weather fuel

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-12-04          120358

Kerosene 60/40(60 diesel 40 kero). Not a new discovery but tried and tested in the construction industry. Lighten the mix as the weather warms.

Add a centain booster if you desire but it is not needed. ....

cold weather fuel

View my Photos
grinder

2005-12-04          120381

Thanks Harvey
I planned on going with a 50/50 mix. I ran straight k-1
last year until Art commented that was not a good idea.
I remember a post discussing additives, I am not familiar
with them and thought I would ask. I want to make sure I am properly lubricating the engine. If I remember right it was
a concern of Art's and other's using just K-1.
I guess motocycle season is really over? ....

cold weather fuel

View my Photos
dsg

2005-12-04          120384

Go to your local Napa and get Power Service, a good anti-gel and booster.

David ....

cold weather fuel

View my Photos
Chief

2005-12-04          120386

You can run straight K-1 but it should have a lubricant added to it. Usually about 1-2 quarts of oil per 5 gallons works well. The military run most of its diesel equipment off of straight JP-8 which is much more refined and has a lower lubricity than K-1. 50/50 K-1 & #2 diesel works and is much cheaper. Power Service in the white bottle is cheap insurance too. ....

cold weather fuel

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-12-05          120437

Most of the diesel pumps I use have a pre-mixed winter blend of 30-50% #1. So using that has resulted in no issues to date in either my pickup or my tractors. I've started to add the Powerservice as extra insurance. ....

cold weather fuel

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-12-06          120503

As a follow-up, I put PowerService in the pickup yesterday morning before my drive to work. Really cold day as the truck satin the parking lot (no sun, wind, single digits) and it fired up much better than it had been. By much better, I mean no surging, no groaning, less vibration and noise. It behaved. I'm sticking to powerservice the rest of the winter! ....

cold weather fuel

View my Photos
cthonestguy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-12-06          120553

When you go to Wal-mart look on the BOTTOM shelf of the automotive fluids section. They have at least 2 types of the Powerservice there on the bottom shelf and it's cheap.

Definitly good stuff. I run it in all my stuff and never had an issue. Put that in the fuel and 1 hour before I plan on using the machine I slap the magnetic heater on the bottom of the pan and it fires up at any temp. I even dump it in my Freightliner at work.

cold weather fuel

View my Photos
JiminMaine

2005-12-06          120555

I'm glad to hear all the good reviews of Powerservice in the white bottle. My brother-in-law who operates heavy equipment recomended it and I've been using it year 'round in our tractors. I mix it at the extra strentgh ratio. I figure it's cheap insurance. ....

cold weather fuel

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-12-07          120585

OK. Anybody know what the difference is between Powerservice in the white bottle and same in the silver bottles ?? ....

cold weather fuel

View my Photos
cthonestguy

2005-12-07          120587

I have the two bottles in front of me. ( I use it instead of milk on my Frosted Flakes).

White:
Prevents gelling to -40
equals performance of a 50/50 blens #1 and #2 diesel fuel
lowers cold filter plugging as much as 36 degrees
boosts cetane 4 points
contains anti icing additive

Silver:
Boosts cetane 6 points
cleans injectors(white does to)
reduces emmissions 50%
Boosts power (white too)
improves fuel economy p to 5%
protects against low sulfer diesel (white too)
prevents thermal breakdown (summer additive?)
prevents corrosion
has a fuel stabilizer
does not contain alcohol (neither does white)
neither will void your warranty

looks like the cetane number, the anti gell and the thermal break down are the biggest difference. Either way I think it's good stuff when it gets cold. 2 years ago I'd go through the glow plug cycle about 6-8 times before it would finally stay running. Now- 10 seconds on the glow plugs and a click of the key and the bx is running like a charm on those days in the teens.

cold weather fuel

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-12-07          120588

Hmmm..... I might be using the wrong stuff.... but I do store fuel for several months at a time so the silver bottle might be best.... but I do need cold weather protection too.......

I might have to use both! ....

cold weather fuel

View my Photos
cthonestguy

2005-12-07          120589

I usually end up mixing the 2 of them. More of the white in the winter and I throw a splash of the silver in there.

I actually was having problems with a dark slime in my fuel filters. Someone told me on this site a while ago I may have had bad fuel and had some critters living in my fuel system. I chenged the filters and used the silver and the problem is gone with about 70 hours.

There aren't may products I swear by and actually do what they claim but the diference is clear with he way my machines all start with the white powerservice. It works as good as 2 Imodium A-D's after a bad serving of Chinese food! ....

cold weather fuel

View my Photos
Murf

2005-12-07          120591

Mark, we run just the stuff in the silver bottle, "Diesel Kleen® +Cetane Boost®" year round in our fleet. If we get a fill up (on-site or on the road) of junk fuel we put some PS 911 in as needed only.

Never had a fuel related problem yet, summer or winter.

Best of luck. ....

cold weather fuel

View my Photos
lbrown59

2006-01-02          122131

I use 3 Oz. of PS from the white bottle to 5 Gal of diesel fuel the year around.
I took a baby bottle and marked the 3 6 and 9 ounce marks with a black sharpie pen.
Using the baby bottle and marking it like this saved me from ever having to use a measuring cup or funnel again. Let me tell you I don't miss having to clean up a funnel and a measuring cup every time I go to add 3 ounces of PS to the 5 gallon can when I take it to get it filled.

cold weather fuel

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-01-05          122282

Like LBrown says, find something handy to use as a common measuring device for the Powerservice. I use a laundry detergent filler cap that I cleaned out. I consider it environmentally friendly since it wound up in my shop instead of the landfill. ....

cold weather fuel

View my Photos

2006-01-05          122288

Grinder,
I would say it depends on what you are using and doing. If you are using a vehical on the road it would differ from my approach. Here in N. Wisc. on most years we will get some 30-40 below weather. The last couple years havent had as much. I use a 50-50 blend of #1 and #2 diesel fuel which I get in 6 gallon cans. Also, my 2 tractors are in my wood shed, which is always about 10-20 degrees warmer.
I also rarely would have a reason to use my tractors when that cold. If I do, I run my salamander heater for a couple hours before starting. Have never put any additive in, but I dont need to use them(only rarely).
Your situation is probably different, but just wanted to give you my approach.
doc ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login