Go Bottom Go Bottom

New Business Venture

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2015-02-18          192142

Hello friends,

Just thought I'd write to provide an update of what's going on in my little corner of the world here as of late.

Most of you know me as being a guy who harvests firewood, both for my own use, as well as offering it for sale to the local community. Well, business is picking up for me around here. I've been asked to remove a few trees in town, as I'm one of the most experienced fellers in the area. This has led to a whole new business venture for me.

Some 30 years ago, while stationed in Augusta Georgia with the U.S. Army, I took on a part-time job of removing large trees that posed a threat to nearby homes, buildings, people, etc. That job led to other jobs in the area, the largest of which involved clear cutting a 10 acre spot in the Georgia forest to make room for a new commercial building. It was while clearing that large forested area that I got my first taste of Kubota tractors. I was impressed with the capabilities of that little B-6000 that we used to drag those large trees around.

Over the past many years I often relied on my tree working skills to help provide heat for my own home, as well as helping friends and neighbors remove dangerous trees from their own yards and farms.

Late last Fall I began work on a large tree project here in town. I was asked to take down 7 large trees in order to make room for a fenced area at the local daycare center. The trees in question were in poor condition and would pose a serious hazard to the children playing below, due to dangling limbs and other overhead threats. I tackled those trees one at a time, using climbing gear and rigging tackle to take down trees and limbs that were overhanging the buildings and storage areas.

Well, it's a small town. Word gets around right quick-like. I now do tree work and can take down trees hanging over homes and garages. The calls started coming in. I'm booked solid for the entire upcoming summer. As of right now I have over 40 trees lined up to take down. The largest is a dead Elm tree on Main Street here in Cando. The circumference at the base is well over 20 feet. This one is going to require a much bigger saw.......so I upgraded my Husqvarna 395XP chainsaw with a 60" bar.

The new business is doing very well. I have the equipment and the skills needed to perform even the most difficult trimming and removal jobs. My climbing and rigging gear is slowing being upgraded to include some of latest and greatest gadgets available. I hope to be able to provide pictures and tales of some of these monster tree jobs as we get to them in the coming months.

Joel

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

New Business Venture

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2015-02-18          192143

A few years ago I watched a crew remove a tree leaning over a family owned house. Looked like monkeys in the tree. They only used ropes and such rigging along with man power. Had plenty of room to use equipment had they wanted to but said they rather do it this way. Wish had recorded it.

Me I want long cable, heavy tractor, no buildings and know then I am safe to cut it. LOL Still remember brushing my Mama's house with the very tip of a large tree as it took my small then Datsun pickup and pulled it sideways. I really do admire those who are talented at felling trees. There is more to read there than many think.

Joel, do be careful, we had experienced person get killed her two years ago as his bucket failed while rather high. I think it fell apart due to previous damage. Not sure now what caused it to happen when it did. kt ....

New Business Venture

View my Photos
candoarms

2015-02-18          192150

KT,

I'll be taking down a large Elm at the top of the highest hill in Minot North Dakota on April 1st. I'd like to climb that tree to set my rigging lines, then take a picture overlooking the city for you. I'll be about 1/2 mile above the city, looking down on the entire town.

Yes.....safety first. We've spent a great deal of time learning the physics of rigging down trees. I attended a training class in Minot last summer and we've been working hard ever since. I'd much rather use ropes than cables. So much easier to work with, and far lighter when attempting to rig up a tree.

I'll post a few pictures here, provided Dennis will allow for it. Of course....we'll also be using the tractor for most of the ground work, so that will be directly related to the tractor discussions.

It's 23 degrees below zero here this morning. No power in town. No heat in the city houses. No gas stations operating as of now. Could be a very long day for us around here.

Joel ....

New Business Venture

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2015-02-18          192152

Quote:
Originally Posted by candoarms | view 192150
...I'll post a few pictures here, provided Dennis will allow for it.....

Please post all the pictures you want. Love to see them! Send me a video as well and I will put that up also :) ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login