Go Bottom Go Bottom

Memorial Day just thanks folks

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-05-28          183659

I would ask that each person stop and think about this day as more than just a day off work, to enjoy a long weekend with family and loved ones.

(to borrow from another source)

It was first widely observed on May 30, 1868, to commemorate the sacrifices of Civil War soldiers, by proclamation of Gen. John A. Logan of the Grand Army of the Republic, an organization of former sailors and soldiers.

On May 5, 1868, Logan, in his capacity as commander in chief of the Grand Army of the Republic, declared in General Order No. 11 : “The 30th of May, 1868, is designated for the purpose of strewing with flowers, or otherwise decorating the graves of comrades who died in defense of their Country during the late rebellion, and whose bodies now lie in almost every city, village, and hamlet churchyard in the land. In this observance no form of ceremony is prescribed, but posts and comrades will in their own way arrange such fitting services and testimonials of respect as circumstances may permit.”

To all who have served, thank you.

To my brothers & sisters in arms who are currently serving, may the good Lord above keep you safe from harm and deliver you home safe to your family when you task is completed.

To the families of those who never made it home, my thoughts and prayers are with you, now and forever.

Semper Fi.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-05-28          183660

I put in over 20 years myself, but today I'm honoring the nearly 21 years my wife served. She's now dying of cancer, but is facing it with the kind of equanimity and fortitude that is seldom acquired outside continuing military service.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2012-05-28          183661

Beautiful post Murf.

Thanks to all who have given so much of your lives and selves for our freedoms. May our efforts to maintain them be worthy of your sacrifices.

View my Photos
kwschumm

2012-05-28          183662

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_g | view 183660
I put in over 20 years myself, but today I'm honoring the nearly 21 years my wife served. She's now dying of cancer, but is facing it with the kind of equanimity and fortitude that is seldom acquired outside continuing military service. //greg//

I am very sorry to hear of your wife Greg. We'll keep both of you in our prayers. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2012-05-30          183682

I was away from computer till late yesterday and missed this post. There is no human way to repay what some have given. It is only in respecting their lives and memories and being the best citizen possible we may even begin.

Greg, will also join with Ken in remembering your wife and you. Is there anything we can do? My older sister fought that war eight years ago, it is a whole family war. KT ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login