Go Bottom Go Bottom

Corn Shucker OOOOKKKKAAAAAYYYY

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-09-21          174119

I'm not yippin yellin fan of the TV show Pawn Stars, but I guess for lack of anything much better on our 250 Dish Network 250 channels of mostly garbage I did watch them a night or two ago.
This older gent wes tring to sell Rick a "Corn Shucker".
It was a one hole hand cranked "Corn Sheller", not a corn shucker that the old gent was running corn not mature enough to be roasting ears thru just grinding them to mush.
I and most every farm kid here my age spent an hour or so after school shelling corn thru one of those old things. They shelled the kernels from the cob of a dry ear of corn with the shucks already stripped from on the ear, the shucks just plugged the thing up if you left them on. The shelled corn came out the bottom into a bucket and the cobs came out the front side into a pile. He said the pigs ate the cobs, ever try to get a pig to eat a corn cob?
They won't.
They also worked good for shelling popcorn and walnuts. I never saw one like the old dude had on the show, most all the ones in our neighborhood were International Harvester or John Deere. My Father did finally hook up an electric motor to ours, things went faster then.
I sure hope thye city folks watching the show don't think we old farmers were that dumb to grind up wet corn with a "Corn Shucker".
Frank.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-09-21          174120

We watch that some and it is amazing what kind of stuff they have brought in there. Never knew anyone could have some many friends who are "experts" as he does. ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-09-21          174121

Frank, how about Pickers? They are from Iowa if memory is correct. I don't know I would want my business all over the tv like either of these businesses do. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-09-21          174126

Our oldest son went to a business convention this summer in LV, but didn't have time to look around much. He was curious as to whether the Pawn Stars place was for real or just a TV show, but he came back without having time to find out. I too find this amazing that Rick can have an expert at hand on any item that may show up. My father used to say that an expert is anyone far enough from home that nobody knows him/her.
The Pickers guys supposedly are from Iowa, I can't remember the name of the town but it's on the Mississippi somewhere above the Quad Cities. My kids have suggested that I contact them about all the junk I have but I doubt I would have enough to get them all excited. My "Junk" is mostly oriented toward old Farmall parts that one person in five million might recognize or even want anyway.
Summing up all this rambiling I think the Pickers is just as fake as the Pawn stars show. If they do show up unannounced I doubt they or any intruders would get past my alarm system. I won't say much more but it isn't a screen door but it does go "BANG"
I think the kids plan is to have as little junk to deal with when the time comes as is possible.
Frank. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2010-09-24          174150

Hey, KT (Ken is it?), since you're on this thread let me thank you for something.

You suggested a belt sander for blade sharpening. Never thought of that, and I've been sharpening rotary blades with grinding wheels on and off the mower for 40 years.

Clamped a 3X21 sander upside down to the bench and gave it a try. Sharpened way more evenly in way less time. Made a jig to hold the blade at the right angle, and in five seconds it looks professionally sharpened. Huh! ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-09-24          174151

Auerbach, Ken is great. The first time I tried the belt sander was surprised myself for same reasons. To me it is not as noisy as a grinding wheel or maybe a different pitch. Thanks for the feed back. KT ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-09-24          174152

Guys;
I've never did that either just always use a regular grinder, but it sounds like a good idea. What type of grit and what size grit size did you find worked best? I've got several random orbit, detail, and palm sanders, etc., air and electric left from the wood shop business, and an ancient belt sander. I seldom used the belt sander, it was too agressive for most furniture work, I think the belt size was 4 X 21 3/4, probably an odd ball that nobody stocks anymore. So mauybe if I can find a belt for it the old sander will prove to have a purpose after all. There are all kinds of places I used to order sander belts, discs, sheets, kinda whatever you my needed to special size order, but not likely an order of one. If I remember correctly mine sounded like the siren on Barney Fife's squad car.
Frank. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-09-24          174156

Frank best I remember it is about an 80 I am using. Have to get some more. I have a 6 inch by something stand sander that I like to use, a Craftsman model. I have used the 8 inch disc on the side of it that has an tilt table but like the belt better. For me I get a straighter edge than with a grinder.

View my Photos
auerbach

2010-09-24          174157

There was a worn 36-grit on it (looked like a new 80 or so) -- all I used, Frank.

With a grinder you keep it moving across the blade (or vice versa) to not overheat any spot. With a sander you hold the blade steady on it, which is what makes the sharpening so even. But you want to keep the pressure light, so the exact grit might not matter much. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-09-24          174158

KT and Auer;
Yup, I at one time had two of the Sears 6 x 48 stationary belt sanders with an 8 inch disc on the side, I later sold them. The two stationary widebelt sanders I have left from the furniture business use 15 and 37 inch wide belts, and a vertical edge sander that uses a 6 X 84 inch belt. With those and three or four Bosch random orbits, a Bosch detail sander or two and some old palm sanders I'm about sander poor, but they all earned their keep in our furniture and cabinet days.
Frank. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-09-24          174159

Frank, Today might be so but a lot of tools are sold on ebay. Have a friend who has pawn shop and said he sells a lot to the New England area as the prices were so much lower than there. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-09-24          174162

KT;
I really haven't tried to sell any tools or shop equipment yet. Probably got 15 - 18K bd. ft. of hardwood lumber, red and white oaks, cherry, walnut, maple, and other minor specie left over too. I'm still reeling from the tax reaming that Uncle Sam gave us after the farm equipment and land auctions in three separate years that I just aint ready to give him another tidy sum to PXXX away.
Frank.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login