Go Bottom Go Bottom

What happens to 30-day-trial air adj beds

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-06-23          131343

You've seen the ads on TV and heard them on the radio for air-adjustable beds. They're marketed by companies who sound like "Select" and "Posture". A few years ago I was solicited by one of those companies to buy one of their $2000 beds. They offered a 30 day (or 90 day) return policy on their bed. I asked them how many people actually return them. They put me in touch with the co. president who told me it was about 5-10 percent of yearly sales. So I asked him what happens to the beds that are returned. He says they are sold to employees at a discounted price. I did the math and told him that with the 30 or so employees (I forget the number) that after a few months based on their sales and returns, employees would have to buy a horrendous amount of used beds. He didn't like that. He said okay, we bring them back and rework them. "REWORK them?" I asked in toatl amazement. "Yes we strip the top layer that comes in contact with people and install new". "Sure you do" was my response. He finally admitted that if it didn't look too bad they would only replace what they felt was the minimum. I then asked that if that is the case, then I could potentially be geting a bed that has been bought and resold many, many times over. He knew I was right and quickly transferred my call to a lady sales rep. I ended the call without buying one.

Has anyone else thought about this or am I the only one? How is it that a company can sell something as "new" when in fact it has possibly been owned by several people possibly for many years whose hygiene may not be as good or better than your own (bed bugs, bed wetting etc.)?
Really, no one else should have had their butt on my bed to begin with.

Along that line, but with a different result I have been told that power tool mfg's. like DeWalt sell "refurbished" when in fact they are perfectly good tools that the company wants to get into the main stream of sales at a discounted price. (I know there are tools that are really refurbished i.e., used-and-abused returns and I don't have a problem with that---I buy them all the time).

What's your experience? (Mind if I use your bed for 30 days---I promise to return it---it'll be just like new)

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-06-24          131348

Companies I have worked for have also sold stuff as new that was previously used. It always bothers me when I see that.

Mattresses? I think about that every time I stay in a Hotel.

My experiences with refurbished products has been almost uniformly poor so I don't buy refurbs anymore. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-06-26          131368

It was my understanding if you sell used bedding it must be told it is used. Now, does the law consider returned the same as used?

Refurbished products to me vary to quality. If the orginial defect was very obivious it probably gets fixed. If not, it porbably does not. It is my impression a lot of returned merchandized to such as Wal Mart or Lowes then is sold as refurbished. But impressions are not always true. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-06-26          131370

KT: That's my point about getting past the law. I'm not so sure that anyone's really done any thinking about this.

Years ago I bought a nearly $50 1/2" ratchet from Sears. It was warranteed. I broke it (my buddy and I were standing on a 4' pipe with it for leverage). Brought it back and they gave me a much-used, completely different one that had been refurbished. I pitched a bitch and they finally gave me a new new one. Snap-On tools is a different story; you break it and get a brand new one (they figure you were raped on the last one so that's the LEAST they could do) (my very rich buddy was a Snap-On route dealer----3.2M gross a year for 13 years---his take: 30% of the gross) ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-06-26          131379

Sears uses to be very good on their guaranteed on the Craftsman label but they had not near as good on Sears Labelled products.

A few years ago Sears purchased Western Auto and was offering the local store the option to carry either line of tools the Craftsman or the Wizzard line. Not sure if htey still own Western Auto but they and K Mart are the same, do they offer their tools there now or Martha Stewart or such. ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-06-29          131551

Earthwrks
Dont they require you NOT to remove the 12mil plastic?
I think that is how they get away with re-selling the product as new. I think the "so-called" manager you talked to must not be with the program yet? LOL ....

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-06-29          131553

Earthwrks,

I did the same thing with sears. I had a brand new 1/2" ratchet for years never used it. The first time I had something big enough to use it on it broke. My wife took it back for replacement(wife mistake). They gave her an old piece of crap that some mechnic had been using for years that was refurbished. I raced back to sears danced on the counter and they were happy to give me a new one.
I never realy though about sleeping on someone else's farts.

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-06-29          131559

broken: Could you sleep on crunchy 12mil plastic to test it? But to address your question, they never mentioned anything about any covering---rather they went ot great pains to tell me what hey supposedly remove and replace. Unless they replace everything it ain't new---sort of like buying a "new" tire that's actually a recap. ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2006-06-29          131561

That is just real hard to believe that they would replace the "pillow tops" LOL
I dont know about the air mattresses but The (I think it was) Sealy came with a heavy plastic on. The place I bought it from had a 45 day trial and I was told that after I removed the plastic protector the return policy (trial period) will be void. I was assuming it would be the same for the rest of the manufacturers, but who knows? Maybe the Chineese make it so damm cheap that they can afford to do what they said they do and still make money :LOL ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-06-30          131569

It is my impression some of these matteress don't come with a plasctic cover over them as the traditional ones do. The shipping of the traditional ones required. There is at least one of these companies that give you the 30 day in home that ships in small boxes. Watch their tv commercial as the man and women eacht tote abox up stairs.

Mabye these spray it with roundup? There is a real possibility they do have a GAS chamber method to sterlized it. Remember, RIP.

God Bless ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2006-07-04          131677

KY
A DAH!!!! I just thought of something!!!. We are assumeing that they have a need to re-sell this mattress!
The damm thing may only cost them (like) $25. OR SO TO ACTUALLY MAKE IT AND MAYBE ANOUTHER $25 to ship it from CHINA. So all in all they are probably only out $50 if they scrap the whole thing! (LOL)
Yes I know which mattress your talking about. I was at a show (sales pitch) for one. A college kid says he takes his to and from the dorms with him, they are that easy to set up he say's ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2006-10-07          135781

I JUST GOY one in the mail! An add for these RE-FURBISHED BEDS! Yes there is a factory warehouse LOL. Guess they are full of used beds eh?
EEYuuuuu I just got the egee-weeBee's ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-10-07          135783

Souds like the states' Attorneys General finally put a stop to selling them as new! Grrrreat!

Now...(itch, itch, itch----swat, swat, swat) where did I leave that bedbug spray? No biggie--I'll call the company in the morning and have them come pick up this "bedbug incubator" formerly known as an air-adjustable bed...hahahahaha ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login