Go Bottom Go Bottom

New twist on aid for Iraq U S seeks donations

View my Photos
ScooterMagee
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-09-22          116759

Anyone else see this story? Wha-da-ya think?

Link:   New twist on aid for Iraq: U.S. seeks donations

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
beagle
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-09-22          116770

Here's what I think..WTF? I make my contribution every April, without having a clue where it's going.

How about they use the profits from $68/brl oil to rebuild the place. ....

View my Photos
Billy

2005-09-22          116772

"a further stake in building a free and prosperous Iraq."

What a friggin joke. Those people over there have been fighting since time began. They will be fighting long after we are gone.

View my Photos
Peters

2005-09-22          116774

I guess I think of this as a pennies on the dollar proposition like the worst run charities. Why has the rebuild cost been increased so much? How many of the consulting and contractors are just brass plate fronts? I am not even convinced Halliburton isn't. It certainly has its share of exCIA and government types. It is interesting thought to have a political party talk free enterprise and then funnel billions into a government front.

View my Photos
grinder

2005-09-24          116831

Beagle
Don't you remember? The oil revenues will pay for everything,
and they will greet us in the street with open arms and flowers.
The Bush supporters seem a little quiet? ....

View my Photos
Peters

2005-09-24          116836

I warned my friends in the 877th before it started that it was a bit like banging a bees nest with a large stick and expecting good results. To attack a large nest you need to be prepared, be properly protected and use proper stratagy. Winning their confidence and smoking out the problem bees. Naturally they chose to believe the Bush propaganda. ....

View my Photos
beagle

2005-09-24          116842

If you are a citizen of the United Arab Emerates, you get a government issued salary every year, a govenment built home, and food, just for being a citizen. No Citizen of the UAE works. All labor, of any kind, is done by foreighners, who work for nothing. I don't know for sure, but I believe Kuwait and Saudi Arabia have similar set-ups. Right now, it costs about $4/brl to pump and tank crude oil. It's selling for $65-$68/brl. We're all over here fighting to keep our jobs, and that part of the world doesn't even have to work for a living because they are so busy counting all their American dollars.

Someone's got a hell of a lot of nerve looking to "working" Americans for help. There's $64/brl out there to work with..... Put it to work. In the mean time, let's talk about re-building America. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-09-24          116848

With regard to Iraqi oil the administration can't win. If they use Iraqi oil revenues to repay the USA for the war and rebuilding Iraq they would be accused of running a "blood for oil" scam. If they don't use the oil revenues they are accused of milking the American worker. Heck, they're being accused of both now. I think they should say hell with it and commandeer the oil revenue to pay for the war and rebuilding, but either way they're screwed propaganda wise. FWIW, I support the strategy of planting democracy in Iraq. Whether the Iraqi's can keep it is another story. The odds are against it I think. ....

View my Photos
grinder

2005-09-25          116856

The problem is they are pumping less oil now than when Saddam the butcher was in power. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-09-25          116862

The numbers I've read put them at 98% of capacity. That comes from the media so those numbers may be wrong. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2005-09-25          116882

The stats I see state that Iraq never pumped more than 2.5 Mbarrels per day. Infrastructure would need to be increased to pump more (up to 6 million). If they used oil at the same rate as the US perperson that would leave about 300,000 barrels a day for export. Currently I think they have about 1.5 Mbarrels they could sell, but they have some 200,000 more people running around in thirsty tanks and trucks. ....

View my Photos
beagle

2005-09-25          116884

Leave Iraq out of the equation. We did what we had to do to help secure the "region". Let's have the people or governments of the "region" kick in to help the rebuilding effort. It was their security that was at risk, along with ours. Let's get some of the excess dollars from the region pumped in to help. UAE, Kuwait, and Saudi Arabia are a few neighbors that will benefit from Saddams fall. Let's get more participation from them. They have more dollars than they can count. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2005-09-25          116910

Great idea Beagle, but don't you think that Rummy and company should have planned this before not after the fact. Now it is a bit like the big tough kid on your block showing up on your door step with a shovel and telling you he has removed the dangerous snow from your walk and then demanding payment.
In engineering projects 1/3 of the time for the project is to be spent in planning. Haste makes waste. The problem here is that the lives wasted are not the politician's or the elite's sons and daughters. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login