Go Bottom Go Bottom

Cub Cadet 7265 Tractor hard cold start below 50 degrees

View my Photos
blueridge
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2014-02-28          189319

Bought a 1999 cub model 7265 with a new grill but no lights/covers and no screen or whatever goes under the lights, Would like to buy used, but where? Also, cannot get the cub to start when temps go below 50 degrees. I put all new glow plugs, relays, battery, etc. I'm on top of the Blueridge mountains at 3000 feet so it gets cold temps. Any suggestions would help, thanks.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
paulmo

2014-02-28          189322

Does your tractor have a block heater? If it does your in luck just plug it in for at least one hour, I usually leave my own pluged on a bit longer when it's cold.

If you don't have a block heater you can try leaving a trouble light on during the night near the oil pan, that
helps if it's in out of the wind. also check your fuel filter for waxing and use a good anti gel diesel additive during the winter, and a good one for summer too!

Good luck ! ....

View my Photos
chashm

2014-03-01          189331

If the engine is turning over and just won't get running but almost starts or starts and then quits in a few minutes or under load, it's probably the fuel.

I'd consider draining your tank and putting in fresh diesel while it's still cold out. Chances are you have 'summer mix' - pretty much straight #2 diesel - which doesn't work too well when it's cold. Even if the fuel filter doesn't wax up (it will look white in the bowl) it still may not run right. I had a tank-full of lousy diesel last summer that took me a month to figure out was the problem.

I can't say for your area, but most likely most stations will have a 'winter mix' of some mix of #2 diesel and #1 diesel (aka kerosene) that will work better in cold weather. Alternatively you can mix, say, 1 part kerosene to 3 parts diesel to get the fuel's cold properties to be decent.

Any old fuel will burn just fine in a oil furnace.
----------------
As far as replacement grille parts, good luck! Cub Cadets aren't the most popular tractors and I doubt there are many in junk yards. A couple of hours on the internet may turn up somebody who can find them for you. That screen under the light grille is pretty flimsy - mine is now shot after 10 years - so unless you're dealing with a lot of flying loose stuff it's probably not worth the trouble. Just clean the radiator screen regularly. ....

View my Photos
blueridge

2014-03-01          189336

Thanks for the response, the tractor came from Florida so it has no block heater. I drained the fuel tank a put in new fuel in November and shows no waxing. I'm looking for a pan heater to try, but I'll also try a light. ....

View my Photos
blueridge

2014-03-01          189337

Thanks for the info. I'm going to try and warm the oil pan. I keep the tractor in a garage so I can try light and heaters. I've been all over the internet looking for a dead 7265 in a salvage yard but not having any luck. ....

View my Photos
chashm

2014-03-01          189340

If you keep the tractor in a garage and the outside temps aren't very cold (say 20 or more) and you're using a multiweight oil (eg. 10W30) or synthetic oil you shouldn't really need an oil pan heater. Mine is outside & it's frequently 10 out when I need to plow.

That said, I got a small glue-on pan heater from PartsAmerica.com back in '03, but they're out of business. It's a Kat's Heaters PN 24050, currently available from Amazon. ....

View my Photos
blueridge

2014-03-01          189342

Thanks for the tip. Are you using a synthetic oil or 10/30? Do your glow plugs stay on for 3-4 seconds and then fire up? Its amazing how at 50 degrees mine starts in about two seconds. ....

View my Photos
chashm

2014-03-01          189346

I've never timed the glow plugs, but it's about 5 seconds and the time doesn't seem to be temperature-dependent. When it's 20 or below it takes maybe 10 seconds of cranking before the engine runs by itself. Above 40 or 50, it'll start within a turn or two.

Right now, I'm using 10W30 semi-synthetic, but I've used full synthetic in the past. My owner's manual (I have a 7305; manual covers 7260,7265&7300 as well) says 10W30 CD(or better) is correct for -4 to 86 F. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login