Go Bottom Go Bottom

Cub Cadet 5254 Tractor Review

View my Photos
bluesky
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-03-08          79257

We just purchased 11 acres - small horse farm with 4 board fencing. Need a compact tractor to mow 1 1/2 - 2 acres, some bush-hogging, dragging/grading round pen, out door arena, snow removal, etc. Looking at the Cub Cadet 5254 4wd with pull behind finishing mowere, box scraper, etc. Price quoted new with two implements is $10,000. Does this sound right and is this enough tractor?

Thanks!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
tmwjrj5

2004-03-28          81369

The price is good...but it's alot of tractor for 1-1 1/2 acres....might look at something smaller with a tough carrage if you don't need the size of the big one. (2000 series is a good line) ....

View my Photos
Lynn

2004-04-04          82107

Hi...I am a mechanic for a cub cadet dealer and trust me you want to stay away from any c.c compacts. they are truly junk and cost way to much to maintain...I would recomnend that you go with a kubota in the 30 hp range with a finishing mower (first choice brand) and a 6" bush hog brand rotary cutter. and if you decide to add a loader wich you will surely need dealing with horses kubota offer the very best in speed and easy removal ....

View my Photos
Ducati996
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-04          82112

Lynn,

Are we really suppose to take you seriously? sound just a little disgruntled...
Plenty of happy folks with Cub Compacts out there to prove you wrong...

Duc ....

View my Photos
bluesky

2004-04-05          82187

Glad to hear the positive note now that delivery is scheduled for this week! Will let you know how it works out! ....

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-05          82191

I can't speak for that model but can say that my Cub 7275 has been a good machine. The only problems in about 9 years has been the hydraulic lines have rubbed as well as the fuel lines. I had to change the hydraulic filter at about 400 hrs. It does have a slight problem with interlock switch when starting and I need to readjust it.

Hope you enjoy your tractor! ....

View my Photos
jkinney

2004-04-06          82338

Yooperpete:
Is there an adjustment on the switch. I pulled the two wires off the switch about two years ago and connected them together, I know I defeated the system But I dont hear anymore selenoid clicking, just the starter turning over.
Love My 27 hp cub ....

View my Photos
LSDuBiel

2004-04-21          83898

I am a parts manager at a Cub dealership (We are also Gehl euipment and have been there # 1 world wide dealer a couple years ago). Anyway, we sell quite a few of the CC compacts and have very low maintenance problems with them. I personally own a 7360ss and it is one tough unit. It will pull 3-14 3-pt plow in 4 wheel drive. My main gripe with it is that the headlights are located in the grill and with a loader on, they get blocked. We advice overhead halogens.
My 2 cents worth ...

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-04-22          83917

jkinney:
My dealer's service technician said their is an adjustment for the switches. Mine has problems with the interlock at the rear PTO. I've never looked where the switch is. It is getting worse, so I need to do something soon.

I think there are several interlocks, another at the shifter to insure you are in neutral.

For safety reasons, I wouldn't disconnect the rear PTO safety switch. I have a farm upbringing and can remember allot of old guys in the neighborhood with missing arms and fingers from tangleing with PTO shafts. ....

View my Photos
bparran

2004-05-08          85571

Bluesky,

I bought a 5252 with a midmount mower and loader a couple months ago. Have since added rear blade and tiller. I have put about 80 hours on it already doing a lot of grass cutting, earth moving, gravel moving, excavated a 22X38 ft ingroud pool down to about 3.5ft. Is that tough enough or what?? I have had 2 issues: a finnicky interlock switch and a lost cotter pin on the loader joystick. Neither one a real problem. So far I couldn't be happier with the tractor. ....

View my Photos
hwongusa

2004-05-15          86110

I also looked at a new Cub Cadet 5254 25hp (gas engine) with Loader asking for $10,700.

My question is how does the gas engine compare to diesel engine?

What is the kubota or Deere equivalent (not just horsepower, but actual ability to do work - torque, hydraulics)? ....

View my Photos
Ducati996

2004-05-16          86142

It would appear the diesel version is only a few dollars more over the gas ($500 -$700)...overall the prices seem pretty good. The loader lift is around 600 lbs, and the PTO is 17...thats in the area of the JD 2110-JD 4050...and it can hanle a back hoe...

Duc ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-05-16          86144

Gas engines just don't run in the same ball park as diesels. The clue is in numbers.

A 24 horse diesel will sustain 20 HP at the PTO. Many 25 horse gas engines will only produce 17 HP at the PTO. That is where the work is done so that is the number that counts.

Not only do gas engines produce less real power, but they burn significantly more fuel to do it. ....

View my Photos
bparran

2004-05-16          86170

The diesel is a few hundred more but without the mower deck which will probably be about $1500 additonal. No question that the diesel engine is stronger, longer lived etc but it costs more, diesel fuel stinks, starting in cold weather may be harder. I went with the gas version simply because it was such a bargain. $7300 with a 60" deck. I also got the loader. Gas or Diesel I can't imagine you would be dissatisfied. ....

View my Photos
Ducati996

2004-05-19          86383

bparran,

No doubt we are Cub fans ! I think the 5000 offers a lot for the money...when I got my 3204 last year, these units were not out yet...if I was shopping again and was looking at the 3000 series, I would be looking more at the 5000 series instead...they are really price effective compared to
an "X" series or some other makes...

Got any pictures??

Duc

View my Photos
ozpoolaud

2012-06-25          184036

Oz Pool Supplies are your online pool supplies and equipment store. Pool pumps, pool cleaners, pool accessories and more. ....

Link:   Oz Pool Supplies

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login