Go Bottom Go Bottom

Cub cadet 7305 no start

View my Photos
Joshm33
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2017-04-27          196613

Hi guys so my grandma in law owns a club cadet 7305 3 cylinder tractor that the handy man uses. So yesterday he was driving it up a hill when it suddenly died. He said he replaced the battery, fuel filter ( because he said he wasn't getting fuel) tried bleeding the lines and doesn't know what to do. I asked him if he had ran out of gas he said no but I'm suspicious because the gas tank is full now. Anyway first thing I checked was for power to the fuel pump which is good and I can hear it, getting gas up to the injector pump. I'm getting gas out of the injectors when I crack the lines and crank it but it's dribbling out and not spraying. My question is shouldn't it be high pressure?

I checked for power and signal to the solenoid that's attached to the injector pump, it's a three wire plug. One pin I'm getting 12v with key on, one pin 12v when cranking and one has continuity. I'm not feeling any clicking or anything from it when trying to start and to my understanding that's what kills the engine when you turn the key off. Sooo I'm going to go mess with things on it but was wondering if there are any other ways to test this sole our before condemning it and or injector pump thanks.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Cub cadet 7305 no start

View my Photos
boltboss

2017-04-27          196615

To be sure, we are talking about a diesel engine here, right? You keep referring to gas.

If it is a diesel (I'm sure it is) and it ran out of fuel the injector lines may be air locked and need to be bled. To do this you need to loosen the injector line fittings at the nozzles and crank the engine until air is bled from the lines. Be very sure to wrap the loosened fittings with a rag since spraying high pressure fuel is dangerous.

Assuming that the engine is cranking fast enough and it is getting fuel through the injectors it should start. ....

Cub cadet 7305 no start

View my Photos
Joshm33

2017-04-27          196617

Yes diesel sorry out of habit, I've done this about 4 times now but the fuel dribbles out it doesn't spray. Has new battery and I have a charger going to it as well. ....

Cub cadet 7305 no start

View my Photos
boltboss

2017-04-27          196619

Excluding some catastrophic internal mechanical failure a diesel engine is pretty straight forward. If it is getting fuel from the injectors and cranking fast enough it should fire. Injection pumps often have a bleed port or prime pump built in but I can't speak for your particular model.

As you know, the electric shut-off should be preventing fuel from bypassing to the tank. If it is allowing fuel to bypass when the engine is cranking that is another possible issue. You have tested it electrically, but is it perhaps stuck open?

I am not familiar with your particular model so hopefully someone that is will jump in here and have better suggestions on bleeding or priming your injection system.

Good luck and let us know what you find out. ....

Cub cadet 7305 no start

View my Photos
Joshm33

2017-04-27          196620

Thank you, I did not find anywhere to bleed it from other than the lines coming out and the single line going in which I did. I know it has compression, I'm sold that it's either the pump or the solenoid. I don't have a power probe at home or I would try and energize it to see if anything can Be heard. My old charger quit on me so at this point I can't do anything but bench test until I can pick another one up or go get the battery charged and hope I can get it going before it dies again ....

Cub cadet 7305 no start

View my Photos
Joshm33

2017-04-27          196623

No luck I've been messing around with it for a while now, pressure won't ever build enough to spray out when trying to bleed. ....

Cub cadet 7305 no start

View my Photos
chashm

2017-04-27          196626

I have a CC 7305...
1) Make sure the electric pump (in the right rear wheel well forward of the fuel filter) is running. I think you've checked this already; you should be able to hear/feel it with the the ignition switch at ON.
2) Make sure fuel filter isn't clogged.
3) Make sure the fuel filter valve isn't turned off (handle down is ON; handle horizontal is OFF). (The tractor will run for a couple of minutes before running out of fuel if you have the valve off...)
4) Bleed any air in the fuel filter sump/bowl. This is the two phillips-head screws to the right of the fuel filter valve.The manual says to bleed the left one first. These bleed with just gravity feed from the fuel tank. If you bleed these thoroughly when you mess with filter sump, you should't have to bleed at the injector pump.
5) Bleed any air between the sump and the injector pump by cracking the the bleed screw on the injector pump where the fuel comes in from the fuel pump and turning the tractor to ON.

The easiest way to check all these is to 5); you should get a decent flow of fuel and hear the pump run. If there's any air in the line, let it bleed out. If there is any air upstream of the injector pump it basically won't work and the fuel-per-injection is so little that any air upstream takes 'forever' to purge, so thorough bleeding is essential. There's no need to crack any fittings on the high-pressure side of things (i.e. between the injector pump and the injectors) to get it purged.

The shutoff solenoid and injector pump are rigged so that NO fuel will make it through the injector pump if the solenoid isn't working - basically the solenoid 'permits' the injector pump cams to push against the pump plungers; no solenoid, no pumping. From your symptoms, this is not likely the problem. I doubt you had a catastrophic failure of the injector pump and because you're getting some flow when cranking the solenoid is working correctly.

It's possible you have low-cetane diesel: I had a devil of a time figuring this out once (which is why I know the fuel system so well...; who'd of thought bad fuel would knock the tractor out of commission). Drain the tank and give the fuel to somebody with oil heat and put in fresh fuel with a dose of cetane booster from your auto/truck supply store.

Not a likely issue now that it's gotten warm in most of the northern hemisphere, but are are the glow plugs working? The glow plug light should come on for 10 seconds or so when you initially switch the tractor to ON.
-----
War story: local kids dumped some dirt and leaves into the fuel tank of my neighbor's Kabota; we had to drain the tank and blow out the fuel lines before we got it clean enough to run - the fuel line was fully plugged with dirt. Fortunately none of this escaped past the fuel filter. ....

Cub cadet 7305 no start

View my Photos
infobiker
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2017-04-27          196627

just my two cents worth. I went through almost the very same thing last spring., trying nearly everything I read here. Finally discovered that the battery for some reason just wasn't turning the engine enough to start it. Put in a new battery and the engine started right up. ....

Cub cadet 7305 no start

View my Photos
Ej0606

2017-04-28          196638

If it ran out fuel and the user refilled w/gasoline instead o diesel that would explain problem/ happened to me as I lent mine out. ....

Cub cadet 7305 no start

View my Photos
Joshm33

2017-04-28          196642

Quote:
Originally Posted by chashm | view 196626
I have a CC 7305...1) Make sure the electric pump (in the right rear wheel well forward of the fuel filter) is running.I think you've checked this alr ...
I've done all those steps about 7 times now. I'm actually out of town for the weekend but when I get back maybe I'll drain the tank and put fresh fuel in. I work on gas engines for a living and what gets me is I get more pressure out of a gas fuel line than I'm getting out of the cracked injector line on this tractor, possibly due to pressure not building while cranking? I hate working on things after someone else has done things to it, I never get the full story. ....

Cub cadet 7305 no start

View my Photos
Joshm33

2017-04-28          196643

Quote:
Originally Posted by infobiker | view 196627
just my two cents worth.I went through almost the very same thing last spring., trying nearly everything I read here.Finally discovered that the batte ...
I actually read through your thread I found it on google haha, that could be part of the issue. The battery is new but unaware if the cold cranking amps are high enough, I had my ghetto charger on it while I was messing with it but it called it quits on me. I might just hook up my truck to it when I start messing with it again. The guy who put the battery in (handyman/operator) failed to clean the battery terminals that were pretty corroded. I cleaned them up and will try fixing this thing when I'm back from my trip. ....

Cub cadet 7305 no start

View my Photos
Joshm33

2017-04-28          196644

I would hope this guy isn't that dumb, he has been using the thing for years now but it makes sense. ....

Cub cadet 7305 no start

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2017-05-01          196655

Do not miss air intake system either. Diesels live and die on air.
If you want to by pass the fuel system remove air filter and with a helper cranking the engine spray shots of WD 40 into the air intake. If it is fuel it should crank. I have bleed a system doing this. If it cranks you can just keep giving it a shot until it does not try to stop between the shots.

Rats and wasp will build nest in the air intake system. Does not sound like a safety switch issue they normally prevent engine turning over. Do check the fuel in the tank to be sure diesel. You have had some very good points made.

Hey, does it have a manual pull to cut it off in emergency? No ides on your tractor but some tractors do. ....

Cub cadet 7305 no start

View my Photos
Cc7305

2019-05-12          198405

Mine starts well.
Runs great for 20 minutes then starts to cough I think due to fuel starvation.
Let it sit for a few minutes and repeat the process.
New fuel
New fuel filter
Bled lines. ....

Cub cadet 7305 no start

View my Photos
Hogslayer

2019-05-12          198406

Sounds like sediment in the fuel tank. After running for a few minutes it gets sucked into the fuel line and plugs it. When it stalls it drops back out into the tank. And repeats the cycle.

Suggest emptying the tank and back blow it. Wipe it out! Repeat, Put in a very small amount of fuel and wipe it out and absorb fuel plus crud. Does the tank have scalnin it? You may want to put in a new fuel filter and bleed again. ....

Cub cadet 7305 no start

View my Photos
Cc7305

2019-05-12          198409

I will try that.
Previously drained the tank, but no serious wipedown.
Drained the tank through the bottom screw, and flowage was initially a little slow.
Will let you know.

Cub cadet 7305 no start

View my Photos
Cc7305

2019-05-13          198411

Drained the tank again, saw some scale on the bottom. Blew out the lines I could. Bled the lines again.
Ran the tractor for over an hour. Ran great and then after about an hour it started to sputter a little, but not as bad as before.
Will keep at it for the time being.
Thanks for the recommendations. ....

Cub cadet 7305 no start

View my Photos
chashm

2019-05-14          198412

Try new fuel and add some cetane booster. Somewhere in the 7305 is some widget that messes with the fuel & intake systems when the engine gets warm; it'll run fine for a few minutes when cold then sputter/lose power/die with the widget kicks in. Kinda like an automatic choke on a carbureted gas engine, but I'm sure that's not how it's rigged.

I trust it's warm enough already in NH that your fuel isn't waxling up in in the fuel bowl? Usually a below-freezing issue... ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login