Go Bottom Go Bottom

Dual Exhaust Cat Back

View my Photos
RRagent
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-05-01          128669

Ok, Lets see what this opens up, Just took delivery of 2006 GMC Pick-up 5.3 liter eng,Auto, 3:42 gears, 17' tires

What everybodys opinion about adding duel Exhaust, (Cat-Back)
Will it hurt gas mileage or help?
Thanks in advance
Terry

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Dual Exhaust Cat Back

View my Photos
AV8R
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-05-01          128697

Free flowing exhaust has been proven to help you fuel economy. :)

The problem lies with the cool sound when you really git on 'r. That's what will hurt the fuel economy. :( ....

Dual Exhaust Cat Back

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-05-01          128711

Oh you mean "dual" exhaust as in "two" (I couldn't picture exhausts dueling it out) ....

Dual Exhaust Cat Back

View my Photos
hardwood

2006-05-02          128723

I haven't kept up on things well enough to know what "cat back" means in dual exhaust terms, help me out. Frank. ....

Dual Exhaust Cat Back

View my Photos
AV8R

2006-05-02          128737

Cat back means everything from the cataletic converter to the tail pipe.

In most areas you cannot modify the exhaust system between the engine and cataletic converter. There are some approved components, but, usually the OEM cat must remain as installed by the factory. ....

Dual Exhaust Cat Back

View my Photos
Murf

2006-05-02          128738

"The problem lies with the cool sound when you really git on 'r."

You should hear what it does to a big block (diesel) with 18:1 compression .......

"In most areas you cannot modify the exhaust system between the engine and cataletic converter."

Another good reason to have a diesel rumbling away under the hood. LOL.

Best of luck. ....

Dual Exhaust Cat Back

View my Photos
AV8R

2006-05-02          128743

4" pipe coming off the turbo, right out the back, no cat, muffler, resonator, nuthin'. BHAF, silencer ring -ectomy, custom plate, ... 359 cubic inch, P7100 motivated six-in-a-row.

I do love the sound of a diesel in the morning.

Dual Exhaust Cat Back

View my Photos
Murf

2006-05-02          128744

I gave in my meeesus' suggestion that I tone my monster down a little, especially since I'm known to leave the house for the airport or snow playing (err, I mean plowing) at a very early hour.

I had a 4" stainless open pipe from the turbo back, ending in a 6" dump behind the passenger side back wheel, great for teaching kids in Honda's the meaning of respect, and "decibel" too, LOL.

So I added a 4" stainless resonator about 4' from the dump point. Now it performs every bit as good as it did, but it sounds a whole bunch quieter below 2,500 RPM.

Above that point it's still 'disconcerting' to those I pass by...... ;-}

Best of luck. ....

Dual Exhaust Cat Back

View my Photos
AV8R

2006-05-02          128745

I really wanna go full redneck with a pair of BullHaulers, but, the wife say absolutely no and I'd have to loose the topper. :( ....

Dual Exhaust Cat Back

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-05-02          128746

I tried to sell my wife on a new exhaust for my truck. But I went for the better mileage route. It didn't pay for the exhaust over the time period alloted. Dang!!

Maybe she'll let me put a supercharger on her SUV... ....

Dual Exhaust Cat Back

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-05-02          128752

I would think the exhaust would have no problem "DUELING" with a couple of pistols.

DENNIS I NEED SPELL CHECK and Grammer.

Iowa, LOL but have you ever won a case with your wife? (I mean really won, not that she let you think you did.) If so are you keeping it from us? Maybe you need a new calculator?

This site sure cost less than the uppers some people pay for and IT IS LEGAL and MORAL! ....

Dual Exhaust Cat Back

View my Photos
Murf

2006-05-02          128756

Kenneth, I don't know about your grandmother, but spell check is easy, see the link below.

As for moral I'll leave that to each ones judgement, but it certainly is legal.....

Best of luck. ....

Link:   ie Spell

Dual Exhaust Cat Back

View my Photos
Peters

2006-05-02          128760

I went looking for my red neck dictonairy but all I could find is a list of old Murf quotes. I bet you didn't even know someone was collecting them Murf.

*If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.
*A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking.
*Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
*For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism.
*He who hesitates is probably right.
*Never do card tricks for the group you play poker with.
*No one is listening until you make a mistake.
*Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.
*The colder the X-ray table, the more of your body is required to press on it.
*The hardness of the butter is proportional to the softness of the bread.
*To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research.
*To succeed in politics, it is often necessary to rise above your principles.
*Two wrongs are only the beginning.
*Work is accomplished by those employees who are still striving to reach their level of incompetence.
*You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.
(The corollary is: You never learn to pray until your kids learn to drive!)
*The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
*Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life.
*The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up. (Project Management at its best).

On the dual exhaust side. If it is cat back it will not give the tone desired. I would think to gain anything you need to have 2 pipes out of the converter like the stock systems. If you only Y the system after the converter all you have is the look of dual exhaust. ....

Dual Exhaust Cat Back

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-05-03          128783

Peters,

Thank you.

Murf,

Thank you.

Dual Exhaust Cat Back

View my Photos
RRagent

2006-05-03          128795

I put a set of Flowmasters on last GMC, Sounded good,
Not harsh sound just deep rumble. Can't remember if duel or
dual, Oh Well
Thanks for responce, I figured this would open can of worms. ....

Dual Exhaust Cat Back

View my Photos
Murf

2006-05-03          128803

Eric, I had seen some of those before, but there were certainly some new ones in there.

They are like the "Laws" that I hve posted in my office, two of my favourites are;

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

Law of Probability: The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

That and my employees will tell you, I am known for two, commonly given, tidbits of wisdom;

1) When it comes to things you don't know about, it's better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you're dumb, than it is to open your mouth and prove them right.

2) A journey of a thousand miles usually begins with a broken fan belt and a leaky tire, so plan ahead.

Best of luck.

Dual Exhaust Cat Back

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-05-03          128811

KT - I do occasionally win a case with my wife. Sometimes she just chooses to ignore my clear victory. She is a woman after all despite her engineering degree. She is very smart, but she is a woman. Like the time I told her to put the registration in her vehicle. Her response was "I've never done that before." Naturally, I was dumbfounded into silence. Seriously, the first words out a cop's mouth when he pulls you over is "License and registration." It's in real life and every single tv show.

I do win more than you think. Like the JD4310 in the shop. The 65" widescreen HDTV. The new stereo receiver, etc. I can usually find a way. But I didn't on the exhaust. I gave up because I wanted some else more. The old slight of hand trick. I give in on this, not because you won, but because I really wanted this more. ....

Dual Exhaust Cat Back

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-05-04          128857

Iowafun,

There is a part of me that wants to say job well done on these cases. But must ask you to reread my line "(I mean really won, not that she let you think you did.)" LOL .

If true, You just might be poster husband of the year! Lessons?

Dual Exhaust Cat Back

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-05-04          128872

Well, I'd call the 4310 tractor a clear victory. Especially after she mowed with it the first time. After that first time, she strongly prefered to mow with only it. Actually, thinking back, I don't think she mowed using anything else afterward...

With some work and planning, I can usually get what I want within reason. I have to be reasonable about it and it takes time and effort. A Porsche 911 Turbo doesn't fall into the reasonable category no matter how much I want one. I don't think a new truck falls in there either. Sigh... ....

Dual Exhaust Cat Back

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-05-04          128873

Forgot to mention that it's not that much skill on my part, but more of a reflection of how tolerant my wife is. That and she likes technology too. ....

Dual Exhaust Cat Back

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-05-04          128874

Iowafun,

In reading your two replies it is very obvious your wife is a very fine and crafty lady. She likes...but allows you to get...for yourself? She is very smooth.... LOL

It would be real funny except, most of us happy married men have been there and done that and never realized she wanted the TV or tractor.

Then there is the real probability we each very much realized and we realized we do care and love... Sadly I remember someone posting here just about 6 weeks ago how his wife had passed very sudden. Let us laugh, kid, hug and kiss and be sure they know we love them. (same for children)

Boy something that started out just kidding you sure turned real.

I sat in a divorce hearing about 2 weeks ago. It was sad to hear how little time was spent there to end a marriage where there are two children age 10 and 8 who will now seldom see their Daddy and or family when attention to each other by the husband and wife was all that was needed. Sure made me appreciate what I am blessed with.

Don't forget Mothers Day is soon. Now doesn't she want that sports car? I thought so!

Dual Exhaust Cat Back

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-05-05          128914

She misses the Mustang GT Convertible she had. But when the kid showed up, the car had to go since it wasn't all paid for yet and we couldn't afford to have that and a real vehicle for a baby.

That Mustang was a fun car. We'll get another one someday assuming gas isn't $10 a gallon. ....

Dual Exhaust Cat Back

View my Photos
chessiesndux

2006-07-05          131725

I Have an 05 Z71 5.3 with flowmaster cat back and just the k&n filter and it has brought the hp from 310 to 345 and increased fuel economy from 15.1 avg to 15.9 i also increased the tire size from the 265/70/17 to 285/70/17 discover sst's cranked the tbars up so it does not take the nose dive anymore and added rancho 9000 shocks... The truck still rides like a caddy with alot more power... the exhaust is all stainless including the tips.. ....

Dual Exhaust Cat Back

View my Photos
JAZAK5

2006-07-05          131728

IF you plan on keeping the truck I would recomend the BORLA stainless single 3 inch cat back with the LIFE TIME 1 million mile warranty, it would pay for itself in replacement costs and flows just as well as a "dual" and better "torque" numbers where a truck really needs it any way top it off with a K&N air charger system. You may not get better gas milage but bigger numbers for the same fuel consumption. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login