Go Bottom Go Bottom

Chinese drywall outgassing sulfur compounds

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-03-26          161429

Just saw a report on national TV that drywall made in China and used in the south mainly in Florida right after the past few hurricanes is outgassing sulfur compounds. This is causing oxidation to occur on anything metallic like wiring, electronic/electrical contacts, AC lines, plumbing, etc.. It is also making many sick.

Anyone used this product? And if so, are the claims against it true? How did you get rid of it?

(In my area of southernmost SE Michigan we have a similar situation with our well water. We call it the "black plague". The source of ours is bit different in that it's the bacteria poop making the gas/smell. But the results are the same. 7% peroxide is injected in the water supply is used to sanitize the water.)

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-03-27          161452

Jeff, have not heard anything about this in our local news which I normally catch each day.

Is there anything which we do not import from China? Built a toy box for a grandchild and had problem with some warpage, our cabinet grade plywood is not made in China? ....

View my Photos
Murf

2009-03-27          161458

I'm more than a little skeptical.

If you search by "drywall off-gassing sulphur" you can see a bunch of media reports.

A lot of it doesn't make sense. Black corrosion on Copper pipe is indicative of mould growth, not corrosion, when copper corrodes it goes green, like seen on roofs or statues.

Besides, corrosion can't occur in dry areas very well, and if it's in an area moist enough to cause corrosion, it will grow mould and metal will corrode anyways.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2009-03-27          161464

Copper Oxidation - from 2 separate sources:
1):
Cu metal atoms react with oxygen to form the pink oxide, cuprite, Cu2O, which has Cu+1 cations. This oxidizes further to the black oxide, tenorite, CuO, with Cu+2 ions. The black sulfide CuS also sometimes forms. In the presence of moisture, the blackish layer slowly reacts with sulfur dioxide and carbon dioxide from the air to eventually form patina, which is a mixture of 3 minerals:

brochantite, a green, hydrated copper sulfate, Cu4SO4(OH)6
malachite, the green, hydrated copper carbonate Cu2CO3(OH)3
azurite, the blue, hydrated copper carbonate Cu3(CO3)2(OH)2

In these compounds, copper atoms from the metal surface have been fully oxidized into Cu+2 (cupric) ions.

2):
A black layer of copper sulfide forms on copper metal exposed to hydrogen sulfide (emitted from the drywall). This layer is replaced by the green coating of basic copper sulfate (patina - CuSO4.3Cu(OH)2. Both such layers of corrosion seriously impair the function of copper contacts on electrical equipment. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-03-27          161471

So Ann is here a way to stop the reaction or neutralize the emissions? I wonder if the remediation of the emssions could be a growth-industry---besides the obvious: lawyers. ....

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2009-04-01          161594

Not that I know of - you have problematic compounds in close proximity. The usual response is to remove one of them. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login