Go Bottom Go Bottom

Best Mid Range Cutter

View my Photos
Tomahog
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-05-20          86426

I am looking for a new 6' cutter. I don't want the low end and probably don't need (& can't afford) the upper end units. I like a good quality unit for cutting a 7 acre pasture & in between rows of pines, old roadways ect. Moderate brush but no 3" type stuff. I guess I'd want a stump jumper, slip clutch ect. Not sure what hp rated gear box to shoot for ect. I use a Kubota 3830 GST which is 32 hp at the pto. Any suggestions, thoughts ect would be appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Best Mid Range Cutter

View my Photos
trbomax

2004-05-20          86428

I like my King Kutter. Mid -priced, and bullet proof so far. I mow 8 a of pretty rough and nasty stuff in northern mi with it. ....

Best Mid Range Cutter

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-05-20          86432

I consider the King Cutter as being low end. We also mow in Northern Michigan with our 5' King Cutter. It's been mowing grass and light brush for 5 years now. Our property is located near East Tawas in the Tuttle Marsh. Many times the grass on the diked trails is a foot to two foot tall and partially under water, so we mow through water and anything else. We use a Yanmar with Rice patty tires. Got to say it has held up. It stays outside year round with a tarp cover. KC's aren't known for having a nice paint job. I consider the Land Pride as being several steps up as well as the Wood's. ....

Best Mid Range Cutter

View my Photos
trbomax

2004-05-24          86679

I would have to agree about the paint. We are at Starvation Lake [Mancelona]. Mine is in a car port, but still outside.They dont prep or prime before painting,but mechanically,its pretty tough, so I can power wash it to death and repaint every 2 years ! We have a lot of logging furrows,very uneven with small rocks, but I havent hurt it so far.My project this summer is to till and backblade some of the ruts out, after a new tractor barn is built. BTW, what are "rice paddy tires"? ....

Best Mid Range Cutter

View my Photos
Blueman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-05-24          86682

Tomahog, My TC45D has about 38 PTO HP. I recently bought a 6' Bush Hog 286. This is considered their "medium duty" unit, and it is supposed to have a minimum of 40HP to run it, so I am probably on the low end, and can't imagine running this unit with any less HP than what I have. If you want a medium duty cutter to do medium cutter work, you might consider a 5' unit. Also consider the weight of the cutter. I don't have a FEL yet, and had to add quite a bit of front ballast for my hilly terrain. ....

Best Mid Range Cutter

View my Photos
Tomahog

2004-05-24          86683

Heck, I was told that 32 pto hp would pull a 6' cutter....
I really need 6' to cover the tire tracks, especially when its wet. I have a fel so the weight shouldn't be a problem. I'm cutting mostly pasture & light brush....I may need to consider a lighter duty unit.... ....

Best Mid Range Cutter

View my Photos
Blueman

2004-05-24          86685

I was in the same boat with the tire tracks, but I knew that I would get into some heavy stuff, and wanted to buy one cutter that would last me the rest of my life...a lighter duty cutter sounds like it will do exactly what you need, and you won't worry about HP if you get into some heavier stuff. If you mow a little more often, you'll be able to keep your ground speed up too. Until I decided on this Bush Hog, I was considering a KK, Land Pride, or a Woods lighter duty unit. I think the best considerations of these cutters are weight of the unit (direct correlation to gauge of the deck), gear box rating (mine is rated at 110 HP, "OVERKILL", and a slip clutch. I paid $1650 for my Bush Hog, and you can get a lighter duty unit for 1/2 of that. ....

Best Mid Range Cutter

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-05-24          86690

trbomax
The Yanmar is a gray market tractor that was brought over as used. It is used in rice patties which are flooded. The tire tread is kinda like an agriculture R-1 but the bars are narrower and the bars are like 2 1/2-3" tall. You get traction but rip the yard up pretty bad. Things are pretty rough, tough and rugged at hunting camp. When the beaver are working, its not uncommon to have 4-6" of water on the diked trails. Our camp borders on State wetlands that is so rugged, man has never been through in some places.

Our neighbor has about an 8 acre lake. Earlier this spring when the ice was breaking up, I watched a big eagle swoop down and pick up about a 25"-30" carp. Afterward I got near the area and found several more carp skulls laying around. The eagle dines out often. Last year we had a bear cruise through and some sandhill cranes. We have good deer, turkey and coyote hunting. I've gotten turkeys three years in a row. This spring on April 19th, he had an 8" beard and weighed 18 lbs. Was a nice fella! I got a small 6 point last Nov. 15th.

Mancelona is a nice area of the state. ....

Best Mid Range Cutter

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-05-24          86710

Last Friday I bought a 5' King Kutter and used it over the weekend. It was $500 without the slip clutch. It seems to be strong enough. I took it through some new trails that I was making and it had to go through some pretty nasty stuff. I guess if I was to do it over I would get the slip clutch. I've already replaced the shear bolt 4-5 times.
Dave ....

Best Mid Range Cutter

View my Photos
DK35vince

2004-05-24          86741

Dave,
You can still add a slip clutch, availible from Tractor Supply for around $95.
My 6' King Kutter came with sheer bolts. I added the slip clutch. I did need to shorten the driveshaft slightly when I added the clutch. ....

Best Mid Range Cutter

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-05-25          86777

DK35, Thanks, I guessed that it would cost about $100 and I think it will be worth it.
Dave ....

Best Mid Range Cutter

View my Photos
DK35vince

2004-05-25          86842

Its worth it.
I hate sheer bolts.
Getting the clutch set up to slip just right takes a little time, but once set up its much better. ....

Best Mid Range Cutter

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-05-26          86891

One more thought on a 5' vs 6' cutter. The 5' just fits inside a pickup box. This may or may not be an issue.
Dave ....

Best Mid Range Cutter

View my Photos
Tomahog

2004-05-27          87050

Well I went with the Woods 6' Standard Duty cutter. I used it for a couple of hours this afternoon and am very pleased with it. I compared the specs on it versus some other Medium duty cutters (Bush Hog Squeeler) & they were exactly the same....11 gague deck, 65 hp gearbox, slip clutch and stump jumper, ect. Got it for $1,175, same as the Bush Hog Brand.

Thanks for all your help. Now, if I could just get a tiller & box blade, I'll be all set. (& broke) :) ....

Best Mid Range Cutter

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-05-28          87087

"I'll be all set. (& broke) :)"

Who cares about money when you're getting seat time? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login