Go Bottom Go Bottom

Poll cutter width short and sweet

View my Photos
brokenarrow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-03-19          80422

We can keep this short and sweet. My new tc40 is 61.3" at the rear wide. I have a fel and manual trany. I have decided to e-mail my dealer and have him include a Woods rotary cutter (tomarroo) My mowing will be pretty much field/flat work around 12 acres to begin with a few times a year, (and I will have plenty of time on weekends to play)I wont have to get close to anything with the cutter and will only brush hog a few trails that have small sapplings on them maybe once then it would be all clean hogging for the most part.

The poll question is:
6 footer (72")
OR
5 Footer (60")
My vote is for the 5 footer (but I dont count) LOL.
Thanks guys, remember Power/weight/heavy grasses.
price difference is $895 vs $1125. the smaller one has a shear pin and a 50hp gear box the larger has a slip clutch and a 65hp gear box. Also my wife (CEO of finances here at the ranch) likes the look of an uncut field!!!!LMAO

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-19          80424

The 6 footer will save you an hour when cutting your 12 acres but these things can be cumbersome to hook up and they take a lot of storage space. I'd vote for the five footer since seat time is good. ....

View my Photos
BillMullens
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-19          80425

Two of my buddies and I had a brush-hogging event last summer. One of them has a standard tranny TC40; all of us used 5' cutters (The other was a MF 135; me on a TC29) The TC40 got slowed quite a bit in a couple of places in some heavy, fine grass. This was a meadow that hadn't been mowed that year; probably knee to waist tall grass. I had to hit low range in those same spots. The Massey flew through like it was mowing a yard.
I'd say you'd be better off sticking with the 5' as long as you don't have to get near any fences, etc.
Have fun,
Bill ....

View my Photos
Zippy-Do-Da
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-04-19          83653

BillMullens How did you get so stuck? That stuff looks like Manitoba Gumbo! ....

View my Photos
BillMullens

2004-04-20          83738

Well.

I had hoped when I got the new tractor that I could straddle that ditchline and mow over it with my 3 point hitch finish mower.

I got the tractor home and immediately took a spin around the yard. When I got to the ditch, I tried out my idea. It looked relatively dry (this was in October) and after I had gone 100' or so, I thought that instead of backing up all of that way, I would just cut across.

It didn't work.

Luckily, my wife was standing by with the camera, and a neighbor had his old Ferguson handy to pull me out.

It had been home for about 10 minutes.

Bill ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login