Go Bottom Go Bottom

Storing cutter

View my Photos
F350Lawman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-21          69301

I have an LX-5 cutter w/ slip clutch that I need to store outside. It was just taking up TOO much space in the garage. No other option as the shed is full and I am not int eh market for astorage building right now.

I have it ouside now up on 4" x 4"s so it is not resting on the ground. It is covered with the a tarp and I greased up the exposed end of the PTO shaft.

Should I loosen the plates on the slip clutch. What about removing the PTO shaft. How do you guys who store stuff outside do it?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Storing cutter

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-21          69304

Another good trick to prevent rust on any exposed metal or wearing areas is to paint them with lineseed oil. It dries to a clear protective finish coating and wears off once you start using it again. It would be a good idea to remove as much of the pto and other items like chains etc. to minimize the rust. Try not to let the water build up on the tarp. You can also use some T-9 Boeshield corrosion preventive compound. (CPC) It is a bit more pricey but works really good. Just spray a light coat on everything. It washes off easy. It leaves a kind of waxy protective finish. I use something like it on my trailers. ....

Storing cutter

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-11-21          69319

I,ve got it covered pretty well. I will spray it and remove the PTO.

I have read something about loosening up the slip plates on the clutch to stop it from binding while stored? ....

Storing cutter

View my Photos
harvey

2003-11-22          69325

Biggest problem with tarping out side is moisture. Make sure air can move around and under the tarp.

Loosening the clutch slip system is a good idea as long as you have the right torque specs when you adjust in the spring.

Maybe better just to pull that assembly off and store that indoors.

Lots of talk in years past about blocking clutch pedals for storage. Personally I've never seen it done. ....

Storing cutter

View my Photos
Murf

2003-11-24          69463

Why not just remove the pto shaft completely, unbolt the 3pth tower, fold it flat against the hosing and then just stand it on end against the wall for the winter?

Then it only takes up a foot of space and is protected from the elements till spring.

Best of luck. ....

Storing cutter

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-11-24          69484

"Why not just remove the pto shaft completely, unbolt the 3pth tower, fold it flat against the hosing and then just stand it on end against the wall for the winter?

Then it only takes up a foot of space and is protected from the elements till spring."

I thought about it but I don't have a real good way of securing it. I could rif something. Even though I am USUALLY the only one in the garage, I would hate to think of a 500-6000lbs cutter falling on my wife or kids.

I may still do it the problem is there are cabinets on the only open wall and it's tough to get to the beams for anchors.

Storing cutter

View my Photos
Murf

2003-11-24          69494

If you're handy with a welder, or have access to someone who is, you could make up a base plate with an upright to which the tail wheel bracket could be chained.

For that matter you could make a wooden crate from 2x4's which it could be kept in for the winter.

I agree, a few hundred pounds of anything would not be the safest thing to just lean against a wall without adequate restraints.

Best of luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login