Go Bottom Go Bottom

BIgger BushHogs Tractors

View my Photos
Todd Wilson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-06-22          39742

Well my Lot & Field mowing business is doing very well this year. We have had lots of rain. I have missed out on a few BIG jobs. Had a guy call tonight an wanted 65 acres mowed. The JD 950 and 5 foot hog would take forever or actually would cost him more then he is willing to pay.

I have thought about maybe adding on to the fleet and need advice on what size bushhogs are out there and what is required to turn them?! I was thinking this is a good excuse to buy a nice old 4020 and a gooseneck trailer but what are the options for bigger mowers. I see some of those bat wing mowers the highway department uses. I did see a guy cutting a small field with kind of older JD (maybe a 4020 style) and what appeared to be at least a 12 foot hog. We are having a PGA golf tournament here in town in 2 weeks and the golf people have brought in some big boys to slick things up and have leased many fields outside of town (which is around the golf course) for parking for the tournament. I have lost out on a few of those jobs becuase I just could not handle it or my price was way to high.

What is out there
Whats the price new and what are used big hogs going for? How many PTO HP is required and what do they weigh.

I have one of the last old heavy weight Dodge pickups with a 440 and 4.10 rear end so the truck is covered but will need a bigger trailer.

Is this a setup that could be pulled on and backed off a gooseneck easily or is it time for a bigger truck/trailer setup.

Todd

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

BIgger BushHogs Tractors

View my Photos
JJT

2002-06-22          39744

Todd,

Check out http://forty-twenty.com for all the info you ever wanted on the JD4020.

I think you're going to find this rig cannot be pulled by your Dodge pickup, (at least not safely and legally).

JT ....

BIgger BushHogs Tractors

View my Photos
Haras Lucero

2002-07-01          39966

I have a 14 foot batwing that I use to maintain approximately 100 acres of pasture. I pull it with a MF261. The model I have is one of the lightest mowers, but still takes a minimum of 50hp. The 261 goes off at about 55 hp. I can negotiate all the East TN hills I have but one without difficulty. That "one" requires some planning! :-)

I have a batwing (vice a wide non-articulated bushhog) due to the hills and creek banks that must be regularly mowed. The non-articulating units are much less expensive than the batwings.

IMO if you are mowing large areas the batwing is the way to go. It is DRAMATICALLY faster than the 8 footer I replaced and slopes are much easier to maintain.

The length of the combination is pretty dramatic, but could be safely pulled behind a one ton pickup.

Hope this helps!

Bill Kambic

BIgger BushHogs Tractors

View my Photos
Todd Wilson

2002-07-01          39967

Thanks a lot there Bill for the info!

Todd

BIgger BushHogs Tractors

View my Photos
Haney1

2002-12-12          46056

Todd,
I don't know alot about tractors (just getting started), but I do know Mopar Trucks. If that 440 is half way tuned up and is setting in a 3/4 ton truck, with the 4.10's you will have no problem towing anything you want if you can feed it gas fast enough..... ....

BIgger BushHogs Tractors

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-12-12          46064

Todd;
I have a MF 65 and a 7ft BH. I mow my irregular and steep field at about 2 acres an hour. On flat ground I am sure I could go much faster. The 287 BH requires 55 HP PTO. The dual wheels at the back help prevent scalping etc. You would need at least a 20 ft trailer to haul. My 3500 Dodge has no problem.
I just sold my compact and am interested in parting with the MF as I am looking to get a little heavier compact that I can field mow with a 6ft and mow the lawn too. I am tired of trying to up keep two tractors.
Peters ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login