Go Bottom Go Bottom

Opinions on JD MX5 mower

View my Photos
Tim Snellgrove
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-05-14          38587

Looking for opinions or anybodies experience with a JD MX5 rotary mowers.

Thanks

Tim S.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Opinions on JD MX5 mower

View my Photos
pbenven

2002-05-14          38599

I'm pretty sure that Woods makes those for JD. ....

Opinions on JD MX5 mower

View my Photos
MRETHICS

2002-05-14          38601

To my knoledge.....the mx5s are made by john deere in welland, ontario, canada.

In my experience, we have had very good luck with these machines. They are tough, and leave a very fine cut for a rotary cutter.

I even had one customer who sold his grooming mower becauese the mx did a good enough job on his large back lot he didnt need it anymore.

he mows the front lot just like he always did, with his GT235. so I don't think I would call an mx5 a lawn mower.

I think you will be happy with it.

Be advised: The MX5 takes a little more HP than a 513. ....

Opinions on JD MX5 mower

View my Photos
JimMc

2002-06-18          39669

The MX Series cutters in our area, although expensive, do a fine job. The design allows very little buildup on the deck and the blade tip speed is significantly higher than most rotary cutter designs yielding a good cut. ....

Opinions on JD MX5 mower

View my Photos
Tim Snellgrove

2002-06-19          39688

Thanks for all the replies. The mower was on a used 4300 that I purchased. It has cut everything from hood tall grass, to saplings, blackberries, you name it. The only issue that I have had with it is weight. The 4300 is two wheel drive and even with 4 of the JD suitcase weights on the front it still is light on the front. Have had a couple of scares trying to turn and nothing happens. Looks like I need some more weights or a FEL, but that is another (expensive) story. ....

Opinions on JD MX5 mower

View my Photos
DavidJ

2002-06-19          39692

If you can swing it, you won't be sorry of getting an FEL. The use you'll get from it will amaze you once you have it. It will definitly be of more use than more suitcase weights. ....

Opinions on JD MX5 mower

View my Photos
mav7768

2004-04-02          81897

I'm in the market for a used MX5...any thoughts on where to look?

Mark ....

Opinions on JD MX5 mower

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-04-02          81900

JimMc
I was looking at the blade tip speed on the mx 5 (60")and it does not look to be any higher than a woods or King kutter? If I am wrong or not looking at Apples and Aplles, I wish someone would correct me. I am new to rotary cutters and just bought a woods 60". Maybe I am not looking at the correct numbers? Or is this just a misconception that the MX5 has a higher bts than its competitors? I do see it has a hefty 2" dia. cutting cap. which is huge! ....

Opinions on JD MX5 mower

View my Photos
JimMc

2004-04-02          81905

JD quotes the MX5 tip speed at 14,347 fps. The 60"KK is under 12,000(PTO RPM 540 x gearbox ratio 1.47 x cutting diameter 57" x pi 3.14 / 12" per foot = 11,840 fps.) Not sure which Woods mower you got, they use differing gear ratios on some models) ....

Link:   

Click Here

Opinions on JD MX5 mower

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-02          81910

I can't speak to other brands, but my MX5 continues to impress the heck out of me. I mow down 2" saplings and there is almost no visible debris left behind. Built like a tank. It's a spendy but very high quality cutter. ....

Opinions on JD MX5 mower

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-04-02          81935

Woods 14,355 bts. (KK L-60-60-HD,is the right comparison 60 hp gear box) That is where I was saying you need to compare apples/apples.
Understood, KK is not John Deere and never will be, Looks like the HD model on some of the other brands are closer to the standard JD models. From what I have heard from all of you here, JD makes a awesome cutter and it sounds like nobody that has one is disapointed, money well spent. ....

Opinions on JD MX5 mower

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-04-03          81955

I thought it was a little pricey when I bought mine last spring, but it is one tough machine, I think a better dollar value than the lighter duty models, with proper care I doubt that an MX5 would ever actually wear out. I had it on the 4310 with the loader on and it seemed to be a well ballanced rig. Onec in a while i would get into some wheel high stuff that would tax the 4310 some so I would cut it about a foot high then wait a day till the fresh cut clippings had dried out then go back a second time to cut it shorter. I did'nt check out a lot of other brands, but the ones I did check looked pretty limp compared to the Deere, but really were'nt enough less money to make them attractive. Frank. ....

Opinions on JD MX5 mower

View my Photos
headhog
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-03          82001

i'am loolking to buy a new mower for my 4310, my jd dealer
was telling me that all i would need is a lx5. could
someone tell me the advanages of mx5 over the lx5,maybe
the pro's and con's of each would be helpful to my
decision. thanks ....

Opinions on JD MX5 mower

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-04-03          82006

The MX5 is heavier all around, with thicker metal, stronger hitch, and 90 hp gearbox. It has a double-deck design, smoother underside and higher blade tip speed that shreds stuff really well. It is rated for material up to 2" thick and it works well at that thickness. The only downside to the MX5 is price. And it's a five foot cutter.

If you go with the LX cutter you can get it in a six foot model for the 4310. It's a lighter duty cutter, with thinner single deck design, lighter gearbox, slower blade tip speed, and it isn't rated for 2" material (not sure exactly what it's rated for). It's also less money.

If you have mostly field grass and weeds to cut the LX cutter should be fine. ....

Opinions on JD MX5 mower

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-04-03          82015

When you see the rating on the gear box IE: 50hp, 60hp, 90hp, What exactly does that imply? (The way I) Interpret it (I dont know for sure, this is a question) Is that so you dont use a higher rated hp tractor on it and damage the gear box??? Or does it generate more power (the higher the gear box)? With no practical experiance it may be a stupid question. Seems like blade tip speed would be important in grass and power behind it would be important for thicker brush, but that is just my novice thoughts. Am I close or way off with that kind of thinking?
Roughly how much is a MX5 going for new?
Everytime I buy top of the line (In power tools) I never have been disapointed and well worth the money. Cost is a big factor when you are trying to build up your impliments (from nothing ) all in the same year along with buying the tractor. I had bought the Woods rotary cutter thinking it is a fine choice between the TOP TOP of the line and the lesser products. The landscape rake, box blade, 3 point seeder, sprayer and disk all need to fall into a tighter budget so what is took away from one can be added to anouther. I plan on keeping my impliments out of the elements except when using (of course) so I am hoping this will increase the longevity of some of the cheaper tools I am buying.? ....

Opinions on JD MX5 mower

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-04-03          82032

I believe the gearbox rating is the maximum pto hp that should drive the cutter. Obviously the more power the gearbox can handle the stronger it is.

I paid $1825 for my MX5 as part of my tractor package, but I've seen them for less. midlawns dot com lists them for $1699, but of course you have to add shipping to that unless you live nearby. ....

Opinions on JD MX5 mower

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-04-03          82041

kwschumm
Thats not that bad! I was thinkin you guys were talking over 2k. If all I had to buy this year was a brush cutter, I would consider a heavier cutter, but as you know, I dont have that luxery this year.
Have you always had JD tractors or have you been recenty converted? I know around my property JD still has a strong foot hold (bred into from generations of JD owners) Not many blue tractors or orange but the red is gaining ground from 15 years ago.
I hope I dont cause any crashes on the HY that runs by my fields when they see some blue funny looking thing cuttin the fields! LOL> IMHO, I dont think I have ever saw a blue tractor within 20 miles of me, except for the older fords. ....

Opinions on JD MX5 mower

View my Photos
hared1112

2004-04-03          82042

I paid $1000 for my one year used MX5. It works great and is very well built. Before buying, I went to the dealer and looked at the LX and MX mowers side by side (they were standin g on end so I could see under them). No comparison in strength when viewed that way. MX5 is way stronger and heavier. I don't like mowing with the FEL installed, so I use 6 of the 42 pound suitcase weights and they really made a difference. ....

Opinions on JD MX5 mower

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-04-03          82045

BrokenArrow, this JD is my first tractor. Around here JD rules, and I have to say it's probably because of the good dealers. I looked at orange and blue also (and Branson, but they didn't have a hydro). The nearest Kubota dealer was awful and the closest good one was 75 miles away so that and the fact that I didn't care for orange ergonomics put them at the bottom of my list. It came down to blue vs. green for me. I liked the TC33D quite a bit but the 7308 loader was a little weak and there were things I wanted that NH didn't offer (top-and-tilt, spark arrestor). Since the JD dealer was superb I went green. No complaints at all, but I'm sure I would have been happy with NH as well. ....

Opinions on JD MX5 mower

View my Photos
RRRRRR

2004-04-08          82479

You guys haven't Looked at Woods enought. I have a BB600, thats there "med. duty". It is awsome. Let me start by saying: gear box 120hp (mx5 90hp), Blade tip speed 15,525 (MX5 14,347), price $1,500 (MX5 $2,000 I was quoted)and there is a heavey duty BB6000 (I don't even want to go into). I've cut up to 3 and 4 inch pines and poplar with no problem without a dent in the deck and then cut the pasture like a lawn the same day.
I used to big a JD man, but in the last few years they have to cheep of a prouduct for the price. It was very hard to buy a Kubota instead of a Deere 2 years ago, but I'm glad I did. It kills me you can buy a Deere in Home depot. Don't get me wrong I still love Deere it just disapoints me the direction thier going. The MX5 is a good cutter. Just not as good as the Woods line, espessialy for the price. Sorry to be a downer on Deere, I just thought you all should look at Woods. I'm very happy with mine. ....

Opinions on JD MX5 mower

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-04-08          82491

The Woods sure looks like a good cutter with great specs. One thing the MX-5 has that the woods doesn't is the double-deck design (TWO 10-gauge decks, not one like the woods). JD makes a big deal about how much suction and mulching action is improved by the double deck design. I don't know how true that is, but I can tell you I'm blown away by how little visible debris is left behind after mowing down saplings and woody scotch broom (tough stuff). ....

Opinions on JD MX5 mower

View my Photos
Rick B

2004-04-08          82509

Kwschumm,
Are you sure both decks are 10 gauge? I tried to look it up on the JD site, but when you asked for specs it would post unavalible. I thought I remember reading that the two decks where diferant gauge, but together where thicker than the Woods 10. That was a couple years ago. Mabe they're making them even thicker now. My deck being 10 gauge is supper tough. I've chewed up big chunks of wood and hit big rocks that banged around inside (not just a few times) and not a dent can be seen. ....

Opinions on JD MX5 mower

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-04-08          82517

I'm looking at a JD rotary cutter brochure that has all the specs. Both decks are 3 mm thick, which I believe is 10 gauge or mighty close. The skirt is 1/4" just like the woods. ....

Opinions on JD MX5 mower

View my Photos
Chief

2004-10-20          98812

This are about one of the beefiest rotary cutters I have come across so far besides the OFAB cutters. They have 7 gauge decks and 1/4 inch side skirts. Blade tip speed is 14,995 fpm. It is a 6 ft. cutter but falls in close to the weight of the Land Pride RCR 2660 which is rated for the 4410 in Deere's comparisons.

Is anyone using an MX6 on their 4410? I had to turn down a sweet deal on a REAL nice John Deere 609 HD rotary cutter that was priced at $ 1,400. I almost got it but the weight was just too much at over 1,200 lbs. and minum 40 pto hp. rating.

Link:   Super Highway Special

Opinions on JD MX5 mower

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-10-20          98868

Cheif: I've been using an MX5 Deere cutter on the 4310 and the 4410. In heavy first growth ditch work in the late spring it's a real load for the 4310, but the 4410 seems to have enough extra to not overload it. I'm afraid the six footer might be a bit much unless you went real slow. The MX5 is the only piece of Deere 3pt. that I own, every thing else is Land Pride except my Deere 48 hoe. Frank. ....

Opinions on JD MX5 mower

View my Photos
Chief

2004-10-21          98898

Thanks for the reply Hardwood. It would seem that the rotary cutter width is the key issue with respect to tractor capacity and not the weight. (within reason) Steel prices have really pushed up costs lately. I wanted the heaviest duty possible rotary cutter. The best price I have found on an MX5 is $1600 locally. The Woods 6000 or the 600 Brush Bull as well as the Bush Hog 305 seems to be some good choices as well. I still have to get an up close look at them. I would imagain the Woods 6000 is over $2,000. I'll post more when I figure out what I decide to go with. ....

Opinions on JD MX5 mower

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-10-22          98990

Cheif: I'm assuming you're talking about a new MX5. That seems like an awfully good price to me. Woods does have good equipment, but I've never priced anything from them. Have a big day. Frank. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login