Go Bottom Go Bottom

Rotary Cutter or Flail Mower

View my Photos
Markus Dammermann
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-03-16          36409

I currently own a Rhino SE5 rotary cutter for field mowing of approx. 8 acres of terraced land with a MF 1240. When it comes to replacing the rotary cutter, I am tempted to try a 72" Landpride FLAIL MOWER because it would take up much less space in the barn. Apart from the size advantage, has anybody had experience with both types of mowers regarding productivity, quality of cut, power requirement etc? What are the advantages or disadvantages of one type over the other? Are there certain types of work for which a flail mower is better suited than a rotary cutter? Thanks for your advise. Markus

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
JimTn

2002-03-17          36432

I just bought Kubota B2410 HSD with Befco H40-060 flail mower, mostly to mow my lawn. Rediculous ? Probably, but I have reasons. In my youth, about 1953, my dad bought a Cub Lo-boy and Mott flail mower to keep our pasture field in shape. That replaced a two wheel garden 'tractor' with 36" sicle bar mower that I had been walking behind. The flail mower worked great in tall grass, weeds and small brush.
I bought the new one all these years later partly because of nostalgia and partly because I like my grass cut 3 to 4 inches high and don't like the windrow results from side discharge mower. The flail tends to chop up the grass/weeds into mulch. Sometimes requires slowing ground speed, but I have found that a rotary lawn mower requires slower ground speeds at times.
Some people will say a flail mower is 'high maintenance' for mower. I do not remember such problems. Any machine that is abused will require more maintenance. Also, a little preventative maintenance and lubrication will give any machine extended useful life.
Never used a rotary mower in the pasture, so can't make real comparrison there.
LandPride has good reputation, as do several other brands. Alamo Industrial, in Texas, bought the Mott Company (I think Elmer Mott invented the flail mower). Befco is made in Italy - company is located in Rocky Mount, NC. I did considerable research before buying, and I think either of the above three brands would do a good job. Consider the knife/blade options of the mowers which you consider, and which you think will do best for you.
Good luck. ....

View my Photos
Rubintropfen

2002-03-17          36440

I know somebody with a flail mower. The cut quality is a little better than my rotary cutter, but not nearly as good as a finish mower. I guess he could get a better cut if he would replace/sharpen all the knives.

In general, in my area the only people who buy flail mowers are the DOT and town government parks depts. because they don't want to risk throwing anything from the mower.

View my Photos
JimTN

2002-03-17          36444

In previous post regarding different brands, I forgot to mention compare the number of knives on different mowers of the same cutting width. The type of knife/blade and the amount of overlap determines the quality of cut. It is correct that DOTs and municipalities use most of the flail mowers for the reasons stated in the above post.
I bought the BEFCO because it has a 'fine cut' blade option, has more knives/blades for the width of cut, weighs slightly less and cost considerably less. Get the facts on each machine and decide for yourself.
I have mowed my lawn once (just got the machine this week). The grass had not grown much but it did have a little to cut. I am happy with the quality of cut, but then I like my grass cut a little longer than most people.
If you like you can e-mail me jwitt@tds.net ....

View my Photos
Tom F

2002-03-18          36451

I have a 96" finish mower and a 72" flail but no rotary mower. The flail has around 170 blades in it and gives a very clean cut, almost as good as the finish mower. Not mentioned - the flail has a guage roller, is better on uneven terrain than a rotary.

The reason I have the flail is to pick up debris.

Link:   Mathews Flail "Lawn Genie"

View my Photos
Ken Butner

2002-03-18          36461

Tom, out of curiosity, how many PTO hp does the tractor have that your turning your 96" finish mower? I been considering buying a larger finish mower. Thanks, Ken ....

View my Photos
JonB

2002-03-19          36484

Markus, I use a flail shredder/mower, which uses hammer knives to cut/shred/mulch just about everything it cuts. The cut isn't as fine as a finish mower, but almost as nice. The biggest advantage is it cuts heavier material (branches from pruning the orchard), and leaves an even layer of mulch behind the mower. I also wanted to reduce the danger of throwing rocks and reduce danger to kids (although there is still an occassional rock). I decided on the flail hoping to eliminate the need to cut the field twice -- once with a rotary to knock down the 4 foot weeds, and again with a finish mower so we could play football. After buying it, I've read others say a finish mower can cut the tall weeds just fine, but the finish mower won't shred and mulch branches. I've had no maintenance problems. Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
fieldmower

2002-03-19          36495

i have been using a flail mower for 7 years, and i think it is the only way to get a 'groomed' look to the fields, pasture or lawn.
they are pricy, but they do the job better.
i have a tc40d w/ a 918h flail mower, it weights about 1000 lbs. but is built like a tank, industructable ( sp?)
i have a brush hog, 7' and it is for BRUSH, not field mowing.
you need to try a flail mower to get comfortable, then YOU decide... ....

View my Photos
Tom F

2002-03-19          36502

Ken:

I have a Ford 641 (33 HP +-). My 96" groomer is a Lastec (5 decks). The documentation for it says use 3-6 hp per deck, but I wouldn't try it with 3hp per deck.

Link:   My Lastec gang mower

View my Photos
Jim on Timberridge

2002-03-21          36589

I've used JD413 and JD516 rotaries, plus finish mowers JD272 w/side discharge and Landpride FDR-84 rear discharge.
Will be selling the 413, 516, 272, and replacing with a JD25A flail or the landpride mentioned in the first message.
The rotaries will chop up just about anything you feel comfortable driving over with the tractor -- anything that might damage the underside will probably be too big to cut. For grass, they half-cut/half knock down, and create windrows too.
I will use the flail to mow logging trails and other less frequent areas. State crews using flails on roadsides tell me they are very reliable and can withstand hitting rocks, other debris. They have capability to be off-set so you can mow under trees, overhangs, or over the edge of a hill. They also make short work of ant hills and other uneven spots.
jim ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login