Go Bottom Go Bottom

bleeding gear oil

View my Photos
BOBBYboy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2016-04-14          194976

I have a king kutter brushhog leaking gear oil bad. I saw in one post the idea of using grease from a grease gun . Is this a good idea ? I was on utube and it looks like quite the job to take these things apart. Any help an tips will be great. Thanks!!!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

bleeding gear oil

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2016-04-18          194993

Read the same advice on Corn Head, or 00 grease, and 50 50 grease oil. Might get you by for the time being but have to recheck frequently, and sub optimal compared to being in oil bath as gears will fling lube out as they spin. ....

bleeding gear oil

View my Photos
BOBBYboy

2016-04-18          194994

thanks, I trying to fix it the right way but having a hell of time getting the plate off so I can replace the seal,what is the secret to get the plate off??? ....

bleeding gear oil

View my Photos
BOBBYboy

2016-04-20          194997

I'm fighting a loosing battle trying to remove the stump jump plate from my kingkutter brushhog.When and there do you use heat ? do they make a gear puller big enough to pull the plate? 22'' side to side.Someone must have faught this battle before me. please send back up and HELP!!! ....

bleeding gear oil

View my Photos
charlieK

2016-04-20          194998

make a call to king kutter for customer assistance ....

bleeding gear oil

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2016-04-23          195022

Watch for wire being picked up and it cutting the bottom seal out of the gear box. Another way it can happen if you get the it way over filled and the vent is not able to allow it to seep out when it heats up can damage the seal.

Now the plate..it slips onto the spline shaft if I am right, correct? First I think you must get it where you can work on it and with the cutter being secure. If you must flip it upside down. Take a good penetrating oil and spray it and keep it wet for a day or two if possible. You may want to take a hammer and keep taping the sleeve that is on the gearbox shaft to help break the rust that is hold it on the spline. If you have torch you would heat the thick sleeve on the stump jumper that is sled on the gear box spline shaft.
You might be able to design a simple puller for this with say a piece of channel iron and large bolts. But heat can be a wonderful helper. kt ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login