Go Bottom Go Bottom

Adapting to a Backward Setup

View my Photos
yocsr1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2015-10-06          193824

My nieghbor has a hay field ( I should say HAD a hay field) and the guy hasn't shown up for the second year. The field is ruined! There are 4ft. saplings growing in it now. I took my Foton over and couldn't hook up to his brush hog as his setup is backwards and his is made to pin. I used his old 8n about three years ago - not enough power. I had to double cut it and it bunched up between the mower and tractor - took me an hour to dig it all out, packed in tighter than all get out. His old 8n is a 1 1/8 pto and mine is a 1 3/8. I couldn't find a 1 3/8 female quick hitch with 1 1/8 male. I don't want to drill my pto. I did find at Blain Farm & Fleet a 1 3/8 female with 1 3/8 male quick hitch and a 1 3/8 female sleeve with a 1 1/8 male at Rural King. This adds 7 inches to the length. I measured 20 inches from my pto to lift arm pins on my Foton, and 16 inches on his 8n so I get back 4 inches here. I'm thinking if I use my quick attachment I can gain back the additional 3 inches. Any one have a better Idea!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2015-10-06          193836

Try searching the internet for that adapter. I found several listings for one or think I did. How about the pto shaft, you happen to have one that will fit the gear box for your tractor?

Now to the hay field, his hay field grows 4 foot tall trees in just two years? Wow Think he needs to realize the guy was not cutting his field longer back than he thinks.

View my Photos
yocsr1

2015-10-07          193839

I can't even use my slip tubes as his is on the equipment not the tractor. He needs to bust the universals loose and swap on the yokes, but he won't. Isearched everywhere I know for a 1 3/8 female 6 slpine to 1 1/8 male 6 spline quick attach and can't find one. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2015-10-08          193843

I hope have all the specs correct but look here:

http://www.agrisupply.com/pto-adapter-spline-male-spline-female/p/11973/

http://www.doublehh.com/linkage-parts/pto-adapter

If I had the specs correct there are others on line. I do a good bit with Agri Supply and great people. If you are not happy good refund policy also. They have stores in NC SC and GA but not your area but do ship. ....

View my Photos
yocsr1

2015-10-09          193849

Double H was the only quick adapt I could find, but they only have 1 3/8 female to 1 3/8 male. I ordered it and ordered a sleeve that adapts 1 3/8 female to 1 1/8 male. It will extend the length 7 inches. I measured from my pto shaft to lift arm pins and I'm 4 inches longer than his so I'll only be losing 3 inches. Hopefully I'll have enough on the slip tube that 3 inches won't be a problem. We'll see when the parts get here. I've ordered several things from Agri-Supply and have never had a problem. ....

View my Photos
yocsr1

2015-10-12          193861

The parts came this morning from Agri-supply. I couldn't use the quick hitch because he had welded the support arm bolt. I got lucky when I hooked it all up I had enough on the slip tube even after losing three inches. I got his field mowed. I was shocked. The whole north side was covered with 5ft. saplings. In just two years. It's done and he's happy. Now I'll be able to hook up to his brush hog and keep it mowed. Around here it's surprisingly hard to anyone willing to cut and bail fields. They don't want to do it anymore. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2015-10-13          193862

Somethings make a lot of sense in crops to how they vary across this country but hay would seem to be about the same to me. Hay is a decent cash crop here and we have shipped to Texas two years or was it three ago with their drought. That followed drought here a few years earlier and hay shipped here from out west.

Congratulations on getting it taken care of. kt ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login