Go Bottom Go Bottom

KingKutter 6ft Brushhog

View my Photos
david48cub
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2014-07-08          190659

I was recently given the subject brushhog. On the gearbox it says "40 hp". Does that mean it requires a 40 hp tractor to operate it or that it is adequate to handle the torque delivered to it by a 40 hp PTO? Will my 23 hp (pto) New Holland 1620HST handle it?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

KingKutter 6ft Brushhog

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2014-07-09          190667

That is the max rated HP for it. Now will your tractor be large enough, will really depend on a few things: what are you cutting, how fast will you be driving and how wide you are cutting.

The hp of your tractor will NOT handle 6 foot cut if heavy or thick material is being cut nor at fast speed. If you try using it and having issues with lack of hp for the cutter then slow down and take narrow cut width. A four foot cutter would be about what you would probably find match hp rating for your tractor. BE sure you are running your tractor at the recommend rpm to get full 540 PTO rpm for your cutter. kt ....

KingKutter 6ft Brushhog

View my Photos
treeman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2014-07-09          190672

I had a 6ft Behlen cutter on my TC33D and I would have liked to have a larger tractor. I did not attach the upper link as I had no reason to raise the whole cutter off the ground. I had ok power to cut with it but a 6ft cutter is lots to swing around behind the tractor. The neighbors 5ft cutter is MUCH better. ....

KingKutter 6ft Brushhog

View my Photos
kthompson

2014-07-14          190694

Treeman, I used a cutter once without the top link and regretted it. A friend suggested leaving it off for the cutter to follow the ground better and it did, as it pushed the pto shaft into the rear end jamming a gear in the transmission/rear end. I did that backing up a slope. The only good part was it jammed the front pto which I do not used so was fortunate there. ....

KingKutter 6ft Brushhog

View my Photos
treeman

2014-07-17          190719

And how would having the top link installed help you? It sounds like you would have broke something anyways. ....

KingKutter 6ft Brushhog

View my Photos
kthompson

2014-07-24          190766

It will prevent how far up the cutter tilts. As the cutter tilts up it pushes the pto shaft towards or even into the rear end of the tractor. Will have same result as using too long a pto shaft.

Well it does on my implements. Now if there is a chain in the third arm linkage it probably would not. kt

KingKutter 6ft Brushhog

View my Photos
yocsr1

2014-08-31          191014

KT's reply is dead on about hp and cut width. I use a solid toplink, but my nieghbor uses a chain because he has some gullies that caused him to wedge up with a solid link. He's never had a problem with pto using the chain. Larry.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login