Go Bottom Go Bottom

Woods BB60 brush mower Slip Clutch no Shear Pin

View my Photos
mdpinh
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2014-03-01          189338

Hi

Looking at a Woods brush mower BB60. It comes with a shear pin at the gear box. Could I mount a slip clutch on this model ? I think it would be better so I would not have stop and replace the pin.

Any thoughts would help.

Mark

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2014-03-01          189344

Mark,

Do you know if your mower's gearbox has a standard PTO input shaft? If so, this will be pretty easy for you.

If your mower's input shaft is nothing more than a round, steel shaft, I hope it has a keyway cut into it.

Here's what you need, provided your mower's gearbox has a 6T 1-3/8" standard 540 rpm PTO input shaft.

See link below.

Check for proper length and horsepower ratings.

This one is rated for 57 horses at 540 rpm. Length is adjustable from 28.188" to 48.5".

Hope this helps.

Joel ....

Link:   Slip Clutch PTO Shaft with 1-3/8" 6T connections.

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2014-03-01          189345

Mark,

If your mower has a gearbox with a 1" round, keyed input shaft, this is the fastest way to convert it.

I strongly recommend installing a roll pin through the adapter and the mower's input shaft, or simply put a tack weld on the PTO adapter to prevent it from falling off of the mower while under power at the tractor.

This adapter will shorten the distance between your mower and tractor, possibly requiring shortening of the PTO shaft.

See link below.

Joel ....

Link:   PTO Adapter 1" round keyed - to 1-3/8"6T 540 PTO.

View my Photos
Woodie

2014-03-01          189349

Mark- I also have the Woods BB60 with shearbolt -over the past 13 yrs i've sheared about 7 bolts and most were during the first two years I owned it (inexperince and hidden groundhog mounds).:-( lol. According to my owners manual a slipclutch unit is available. from what i can see the 'final' hub is 1 3/8" round bore. ....

View my Photos
mdpinh

2014-03-02          189357

Hi
Just want to say thanks for the input.
It Helps! ....

View my Photos
treeman

2014-03-06          189454

Just remember, a froze up PTO clutch offers no slip so make sure they are functional. ....

View my Photos
crunch

2014-03-11          189516

I have a slip clutch on my rotary cutter and I find it is very difficult to adjust. I loosened it up once and let it slip, then tightened it up a wee bit but now it seems to never slip.

I felt pretty good the other day when I sucked a piece of 2x6 into the 3pt snow blower and the PTO-shaft shear bolts broke. Working as Designed!

View my Photos
Art White

2014-03-11          189518

Neither system has been 100% on working when needed when they are not maintained. The slip clutch needs to be slipped which requires being loosened and run and the shear bolt needs to be removed and the shaft spun. We have seen gear box failures from both because of rust.

For the person that is going to be bush hogging his own property a shear bolt is fine. I find it rare that anyone would leave or ignore an obstacle that would do harm to a machine.

For those that go out and work the machine on different property, I highly recommend the slip clutch. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login