Go Bottom Go Bottom

My Cutter Ain t Level

View my Photos
Bob A.
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-06-18          17306

Can't figure out what happened. Shop set my cutter for 3". Worked fine. Took the cutter off and put it back on a few times and now it just ain't right. When I adjust the top link to get the rear-wheel (on cutter) to touch the ground, the cutter metal skirting digs in. When I adjust to make the cutter level, the cutter rear wheel is off the gound 3 inches. It's as if the rear wheel has somehow risen a couple of inches and that's just not possible. It hasn't been touched. Any ideas? (the tractor is a KU L3010). Thanks,Bob A.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

My Cutter Ain t Level

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-06-19          17312

Bob, the most likely culprit is the third (upper) link on the 3pth. If you have moved the 3rd link to a lower hole on the tractor end it will do exactly what you are describing. If the areas you are cutting are anything but flat & level you will be much happier with the results if you replace the upper link with a piece of chain just slightly longer than the link-bar is, this will still allow you to pick the mower up if needed, but will also allow it to follow the ground better because it is able to 'flex' up & down as the ground surface changes. Best of luck. ....

My Cutter Ain t Level

View my Photos
RickB.

2000-06-19          17325

Murf's suggestion to replace the toplink with chain is potentially damaging to the equipment, and dangerous to the operator. If the front corner(s) of the cutter dig into the ground,or strike a fixed rock, the whole cutter may rotate up vertically on the lower links, damaging the PTO shaft, and perhaps striking the operator in the back of the head. Most rotary cutters have a flex link or other provisions for some fore/aft float, if yours doesn't; another brand's method can probably be adapted. Use equipment safely, mistakes can last a lifetime. ....

My Cutter Ain t Level

View my Photos
JerryGoucher

2000-06-19          17329

Lets see, 100 hp,4' brush hog and 20 mph!!!!! maybe ....

My Cutter Ain t Level

View my Photos
Glenn

2000-06-20          17335

I have a John Deere 670 with a 4 ft. Bush Hog finish mower and I can attest to the fact that it can be dangerous. Even though I drive slowly and try to be careful, a few times the left front wheel on the mower has hit an armadillo hole or a low stump and that sucker jumps right up in the air!! Scares the living daylights out of you!! A good upper link is very important to protect yourself. ....

My Cutter Ain t Level

View my Photos
Ed

2000-06-20          17341

Woods, Bush hog, king kutter and others ALL recommend a chain top link ($25 from central tractor) for thier rotary cutters if you are gonna be using it on non-level or non-cleared land. Its the only way the stump hopper will work (on the blade mount the better units use a turtle shell shaped pan that will allow the rotating mass to hop up over a stump instead of destroying the gearbox.)

Its up to you, but I find destroyed gearboxes a real drag. And even if you COULD hit something so violently that the hog will jump up vertical, the tower will strike the pto/axle long before if ever gets near you. ....

My Cutter Ain t Level

View my Photos
Ed

2000-06-20          17343

Bob - re leveling rotary cutters. Typically you use the adjustable rear wheel mount to set the 'never go below' blade height. then hook up to your bottom links and raise the deck until its level then add the top link a little loose. This will allow a bit of raising on the bottom links b4 the cutter lifts (note this is using a chain top link)

It sounds to me that one or more of the following is true:

a) you have a multipositional top link and did not use the same position

b) you need to open the valve for the bottom link range (I know on my cub that I have an additional valve to open up to allow the bottom links to drop further than the 'level' setting)

Note that like my previous append I am stressing the use of a chain top link, on something long like a hog, you will go over some terrain that is concave and something will bend. And Im betting that something is expensive. ....

My Cutter Ain t Level

View my Photos
RickB.

2000-06-20          17347

Ed, please direct me to the specific written recommendations for the use of a chain in place of the tractor's toplink. I would especially like to see those from Woods & Bush Hog. For all you others that scoff at my concerns for your safety, I hope you do not learn the hard way. ....

My Cutter Ain t Level

View my Photos
Ed

2000-06-20          17352

I'll do ya one better. My research on the woods/king models came from a dealer. But in terms of bush hog....try www.bushhog.com and send em an email - they actually called me back.

So my tally is thus: 3 equipment dealers (keys in clarion pa, keystone power in state college pa and ginst (sp) in frederick md), 1 equipment manufacturer (bush hog) and just shy of a dozen owners who never met each other who say the same thing. A couple of the owners had experienced failures - of the cutters frame or the tower from the bending forces of approaching even a slight grade. And as I said before, without said toplink (which btw is advertised in central tractors catalog as preventing rotary cutter damage..hmmmmmm) the cutter will no longer 'stump hop' and therefore will destroy the gearbox. Do many owners ignore the sage advice and run a solid toplink? Yep. And the parts aisles of the dealers are stock full of gear boxes next to the blades....... ....

My Cutter Ain t Level

View my Photos
Rob Munach

2000-06-21          17356

My Bushog SQ600 rotary cutter came with a rigid toplink but has a sliding linkage mechanism where it attaches to the cutter. This allows the cutter raise up significantly when it hits a stump and also allows it to work well on VERY concave surfaces. I couldn't imagine using one with totally rigid top link, but I also would not want to use one with a chain for safety reasons. ....

My Cutter Ain t Level

View my Photos
David Paul

2000-06-21          17357

I am a Bush Hog dealer and am very familiar with their products, No where in their owners manuals have I ever seen a recommendation for a chain toplink. A chain toplink defeats the purpose of a 3pt hitch and is very dangerous. Most all compact tractors have no down pressure on the 3pt hitch and the lower arms and what ever is attached will raise up if a obstruction such as a stump is hit anyway. All Bush Hogs have a linkage built into them that allows a reasonable amount of deck float. We have sold hundreds of Bush Hogs (Bush Hog brand) and don't sell many gearboxes. So few in fact, that we don't stock them. Most gearbox failures are caused by lack of oil in the box. Most compact tractors under 30hp will stall the engine before damaging the cutter if a severe impact is made. In addition to the stump jumper all cutters also have either a shear bolt or slip clutch for driveline and tractor protection. A 3pt chain toplink is a accident waiting to happen. Almost all the deck float systems built into a rotary cutter will not funtion if a standard toplink is not used. We load tractors with cutters attached all the time on trailers that force the cutter to use its built in float system and I know it works, otherwise the cutter would lift the rear tractor wheels off the ground when loading on ramps. ....

My Cutter Ain t Level

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-06-21          17365

I will try to find the 'printed' data which states that a chain upper link is by far the SAFEST way to do it, this info., if I remember correctly, was from a farm safety group. Again, if memory serves, the theory is that if the implement can move more the chances are that it will 'float' over an obstacle that otherwise would 'snag' & stop the machine, the concern of the implement coming up & striking the operator is NOTHING compared to the danger of rolling the machine over backwards by 'tethering' it. In twenty years of personal experience as a 'landscaper' (primarily building and maintaining golf courses) and as a ninth generation farmer, I have seen many instances where the chain was a great help, never once where it was a problem. ....

My Cutter Ain t Level

View my Photos
Ed

2000-06-21          17368

Im confused, would someone show me exactly WHAT part of the bush hog tower linkage is adjustable? unless you are rear fast with a few socket wrenches and a welder, there is not one single moving part on the 3ph linkage, bush hog side.

And how does a chain top link defeat the purpose??? the top link is ONLY needed if you intend to LIFT the implement in which case the stress on it is tension, NOT loading therefore a chain is just as good as a bar.

As for 3ph power down, I know of no cat 0/1 tractors that have 3ph power down, but all the brands Id buy (cub, kub, jd, nh) have hydraulic lock, meaning once you lower it to that point, you can jack the rear of the tractor by the down arms. Trust me, I have a woods 7500 hanging off the back and if the 3ph arms were able to raise, each time I set the stabilizer legs Id raise up, instead I power down the loader and set the legs and lift all the drive wheels off the ground - as you are supposed to.

But since there seems to be so much dissent, why doesnt anyone just call selma ala? I emailed them and they called me back within 24 hrs. ....

My Cutter Ain t Level

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-06-21          17381

I've just been reading this thread because I'm not sure I understand all of it. But in 1995, I bought a new Bush Hog Squealer (SQ48) and it had a chain from the top of the 3-point tower to the rear of the mower (but you used the normal top link on the tractor). This past Winter my cousin bought a new SQ600 and it has a rigid metal arm instead, as does the Bush Hog finish mower I bought last August. Of course, they have the "swivel" or "swinging" connector at the top. I guess I just don't entirely understand the hazard that either one could present. ....

My Cutter Ain t Level

View my Photos
RickB.

2000-06-21          17385

Well, Ed didn't provide any written recommendations, as I specifically asked him to provide, and we have heard from another dealer (I work for a Woods/Bush Hog dealer). I side with Dave, NO CHAIN TOPLINKS! A chain from the toplink mast to the tailwheel area IS a stock item on some machines, IS acceptable & safe. Any 'real' rotary cutter has some provision for fore/aft flex WITHOUT replacing the tractor's toplink with a piece of chain. ....

My Cutter Ain t Level

View my Photos
David Paul

2000-06-21          17389

After an extensive discussion with our Bush Hog factory Rep. today the factory answer on toplink chains is a definate NO except in one special case described below. Our factory rep has been a Bush Hog salesman (rep) for over 30 years and his daddy was one of the orignal Bush Hog salesmen in the 1950's when the company was founded. Needless to say he has seen it all. The only recommmended factory application for a chain toplink is on a the model 4XX series which are the very heavest cutters Bush Hog makes. This is a Right of way machine that would never be used on a compact tractor. Generally only right of way clearing companies, highway depts, and governments buy this model cutter. The chain top link is only used when the cutter will be used in high (tall) stump areas or for cutting down 6" trees or larger (this is a very severe application and requires a minimum of 100 hp tractor). All other Bush Hog brand cutters are designed to be used with a standard toplink period. Hope this clears this up.

David Paul

Affordable Equipment Inc.
600 Ross Ave
Easley, SC 29640

864-859-2623 ....

My Cutter Ain t Level

View my Photos
Ed

2000-06-21          17393

In other words rick, bush hog does not make a 'real' rotary cutter. Like I said, the MANUFACTURER told me what to do. I take their words over any dealer especially if the dealer is like where I got the machine - thier knowledge of the machine stops at whats in the published brochure and the price tag.

This is the crap I have complained about. 2 years ago I didnt know squat about tractors of any type until I got mine 1.5 yrs ago. 4 weeks ago I didnt even own a rotary cutter which I have already disassembled which is far beyond the service bay capabilities of most dealers. There is nowhere out there for a person to pick up the info, except from manufacturers in the rare case when they get back to you, forums (compact tractor faq board is a good one, has a few thousand pages of do's and donts) and other owners. Please note that the 2 dissenters here have identified themselves as dealers, not actual owners or users, which I am afraid gives more creedence to what 'farmer bob' down the road tells me.....

So I ask you, if the original advice which was given in the 2nd post of this thread, and backed up how many times is so wrong, why does EVERY tractor supply house, INCLUDING your own dealership sell chain toplinks that are labelled for use with rotary cutters? Interesting contradiction no? ....

My Cutter Ain t Level

View my Photos
Greg Harrison

2000-06-22          17397

The confusions continues and I am about to buy a bush hog and dont know what ot do. I have used tractors and bush hogs all my life and never seen one from the factory with the chain. If any has written info from the factory and not advise from so called experts please post same. Both sides seems to provide good arguments. But written instructions from a mfgr. would the most reliable info.

thanks in advance ....

My Cutter Ain t Level

View my Photos
David Paul

2000-06-22          17398

Ed,
In addition to being a dealer, I have used Bush Hog equipment on my own farm for over fifteen years. I know from experience what works and what doesn't because I've been there and done it. In addition I have a professional engineering license from the state of South Carolina so I think am qualified to evaluate the physics of the situation. In addition to compact tractors, we sell rotary cutters to right of way cutters, local and state government agencies, if I didn't know what I was talking about I don't think these people would buy from us. By your own admission your tractor experience is very limited. Anyone can sell anything in this country, that doesn't make it safe,right or legal. You will not find chain toplinks for sale in our dealership. If you think a chain is better by all means use it, but you are aware of the potential safety and equipment problems involved. Unfortunately even after a warning alot of people still sue when accidents happen or expect warranty repairs when their equipment is damaged due to their own negligence. If you have a statement in writing from Bush Hog on this I'd like to see it published. ....

My Cutter Ain t Level

View my Photos
Art White

2000-06-22          17399

Ed the chains I believe you are refering to are called check chains. They go from the top link mount on the tractor and go to the mower on the lower link pins. They in no way are meant to replace the top link. Any three point machine with a tail wheel will ride on the two lower links without any trouble but that is not the way it's meant to be hooked up. The check chains will hold the front of the mower up to a preset height by adjusting the links on the chain. What might have happened in this case is there normally is a flexible link on the top of the mower that allows some movement for the rear for lift over obstuctions this piece might have flipped over causing the problem. ....

My Cutter Ain t Level

View my Photos
Ed

2000-06-22          17407

No, the chain I am referring to is thus: (quoting the catalog) >>>Flexible toplink for use on category 1 tractors and on 4'-6' cutters. Allows free movement of tower. Prevents bending when tractor/mower is raised on high ground<<< part number 14099063, in stock, $24.99 from central tractor. Or you can call david pauls shop and they will get you one for a few dollars more.

It has on both ends, proper top link bushings and accepts the std 5/8 pin on both ends. The chain appears to have a 1100-1200lb working limit or more. I.e. not light duty dog chain.

I also have in my garage your std adjustable toplink I was fully prepared to use until everyone and thier brother told me to get a chain.

I know what you mean about the check chains, you set the height you want and lower the arms until they take up the stress (items like my woods hoe use solid metal bars) and they guard against dropping the implement should the hydraulic seals fail. ....

My Cutter Ain t Level

View my Photos
Murf

2000-06-22          17409

It seems lots of people are claiming how dangerous this can be, I have yet to see someone logically EXPLAIN HOW it can be dangerous to replace a rigid upper link with a piece of chain. ....

My Cutter Ain t Level

View my Photos
Bob A.

2000-06-22          17410

I tried the suggestions here and from my dealer (Carver who's been very helpful) but no matter how I adjust the links when the cutter is level the tail wheel is at least 2 inches off the ground. The only solution appears to be to lower the wheel which would put it on the lowest setting. What happens if this happens again? There are no lower settings after that.

I'm pretty sure the problem originates from a ravine that I have to cross frequently even though I'm careful to lift the cutter. However, I just cannot see anything that's bent or out of place (of course this is the only cutter I've ever looked at closely so I wouldn't really know). I'm think of taking the lock nuts off of some bolts to check if they're bent. Must be something I'm missing.

Art's post was interesting but I have to admit I don't really understand.

Thanks for all the help,

Bob A. ....

My Cutter Ain t Level

View my Photos
Ed

2000-06-23          17423

bob again I say look under the seat or somewhere else for a valve or lever that controls how far the 3ph can drop.....my cub has it (located center front under my seat) The purpose of this is to be a 'memory' for how low you want the arms to go, and of course, you can always lift, but you want it to go down only to the level setting.

You didnt say what kind of tractor you have, post that and perhaps someone with a similar model can help. ....

My Cutter Ain t Level

View my Photos
Bob A.

2000-06-23          17429

I have a kubota L3010. I'm aware of the memory that you are referring to. My tractor has a little adjustable thumb screw that the lever hits against to set the height of the lower links. It's the rear of the cutter that drags not the front. When I adjust the toplink to bring the rear up, the tail wheel is off the ground. When I lower the rear to get the wheel to touch, it drags. Something had to bend or something has moved. Driving me nuts.

THanks,

Bob A. ....

My Cutter Ain t Level

View my Photos
Darryl Gesner

2000-06-23          17433

Bob - I don't know if this will help you, but here is how I adjust my rotary cutter. On level ground, of course, I adjust the height of the 3 point so that the front of the cutter is at the height I want it. Then I adjust my solid toplink so that the rear of the cutter is at the height I want it (I run it about 1/2 inch higher in back than in front-things don't seem to fly out as much that way). Then I adjust the rear wheel to support the cutter at that height. Then I loosen the toplink a tad so that the rear of the cutter can go a little further down when I crest hills and to take some of the stress of the toplink. This takes only about 5 minutes. Of course you will probably need to adjust one of your arms so that it also level side-to-side. Maybe give this a try and see if it works. My hitch (stock on a JD 855) also has a couple of tabs I can turn out to get a little vertical float -turn them in to lock.

Darryl ....

My Cutter Ain t Level

View my Photos
george pacheco

2000-06-24          17452

I am having a hard time getting a handle on this thread. As far as the top link on the hog goes, this is my take on it. If you have a cutter with NO short pivot arm on the tower then a CHAIN instead of a rigid center link would give you the flex needed between tractor & hog for uneven ground. However, there is no point in adding a chain to a cutter tower that already has a pivot arm since each would give the same flex noted above. The safety advantage (if any) of the pivot arm over the chain is that it would limit flip up towards tractor where as the chain would not. I agree with Murph that having the hog flip up all the way to the tractor, while not impossible, would be highly unlikely. Hope this post doesn't add to the confusion.

My Cutter Ain t Level

View my Photos
Jack in IL

2000-06-25          17453

George, your explanation is correct. A friend of mine who does contract landscape and mowing work experienced an accident in which the flex pivot link on his rotary cutter saved his bacon. He was mowing a field of tall weeds that he had never been in before. The center of the front edge of the cutter struck a large diameter stump hidden in the weeds that the tractor had just passed over. The tail of the cutter rose up until the short flex pivot straightened out. Then the front edge of the cutter was bent and the PTO shaft was bent before the forward motion stopped. There was no damage to the tractor and, of course, the operator was safe. If there had been a chain instead of a top link and a short pivot link, the cutter could have rotated on forward even further potentially causing a far greater problem. This is a true incident that illustrates why pivot links are used on rotary cutters. ....

My Cutter Ain t Level

View my Photos
Murf

2000-06-26          17470

Jack, while that is an interesting story you fail to mention one thing, just how could the operator have been hurt? I have never seen anyone cutting commercially with anything LESS than a 5' bush-hog (we use a 7' HD model). I do not know of any tractor in production with a ROPS that is greater than 5' wide, even if the bush-hog could get that high. On my Kubotas the lowest point the operator is exposed at is about 54" above ground level, and about 34" AHEAD of the 3pth, this means the bush-hog would have to rotate PAST vertical (which for you non-engineer types is not possible since it would require 'rebound' to do it not constant pressure like a 'snag'). I suspect it may be possible in the once in a billion fluke, however I also suspect the odds are greater that an airplane would crash into you first. Oh my gosh....I gotta go beef up all my rops quick.... LOL Best of luck. ....

My Cutter Ain t Level

View my Photos
JerryGoucher

2000-06-26          17472

Murf,,,, "Well said"......JerryG ....

My Cutter Ain t Level

View my Photos
grader40

2000-06-26          17479

Murf, I have seen a rear mower flip on a stump. While the whole deck did not make it through the ROPS (partially vindicating your position) the single wheel did and made a really good welt on the operators head and hurt his neck,only because he saw it coming and moved a little.

Your tone is incredibly acerbic. I am glad you are an engingeer and that you have your business and that you are Canadian and blah, blah, blah. You are the kind of guy that sends the help out to do the $#!^ work and then tells everybody how smart you are for sending them and telling them how safe their job is because blah blah bah.

I will however say this, I look for your posts to see what great feat of engineering you have come up with for us today. I know you always have figures to back up what you say, but like we say down south, "Figures lie, and liars figure." ....

My Cutter Ain t Level

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-06-26          17482

grader40, when that mower hit a stump and flipped all the way up, just how fast was that tractor going? ....

My Cutter Ain t Level

View my Photos
Ed

2000-06-26          17483

I dont know where you buy hogs, but my 'squealer' is 7' 6" long and is mounted on links that are never lower than 6" above the ground, hence my wheel would be 8' above the ground should it ever get flipped up (more on that later), the top of my rops is about the same height as competing kub and jd models at 7'6" and my head is lower than that. Plus, rotarly cutters typically have the wheel on the ground side of the cutter, not air side, so in your example, the operator got hit in the head with something else - it was not the wheel.

Now lets go back to flipping up, maybe on an 8n or something similar you can flip one up, but verily I say unto you, if the bottom links remain attached, the tower , when using a chain top link) will strike the tractor about 2.5 ft before it can even attempt to hit you.

this would have to happen: mower flips up, tower hits tractor, bends and fails, mower continues thru vertical, striking rops, rops fails and then the mower gets ya, at a minimum of 30* past the vertical. In other words, the force required to do such feat would kill you from the dissipated energy long before the mower got to you (to lift a 500lb implement with such force that it bends itself and the rops, the shockwave would likely break your neck and or back)

Engineering. Pure and simple.

and furthermore, I dont know what you are using for solid toplinks, probably 'unobtanium', because the force required to stand up a mower will ALSO bend the toplink like the will of a slut.

What probably happened was thus: the mower struck a stump, the stump hopper (at most a 45* sheild, rode up the stump and the implement hopped, made a loud noise and some shredded bark ricocheted from the front. The loud noise was scary.

And since the shield is 45*, the power, which is ONLY supplied by the motor, at the blades is cut in half in terms of its vertical deflective strength. If you have a 500 pto hp tractor, mebbe, 50, no way.

No more wives tales on this subject. This weekend I reassembled my hog and performed the test that convinces me, it cannot stand anywhere NEAR straight up. ....

My Cutter Ain t Level

View my Photos
RegL

2000-06-26          17484

I hope this isn't a stupid question,but not all rotery mowers are for 3pt hitch.Some are tag along.What keeps them from flipping up?I Dont think they even have a top link. ....

My Cutter Ain t Level

View my Photos
grader40

2000-06-26          17487

"Engineering. Pure and simple. and furthermore, I dont know what you are using for solid toplinks, probably 'unobtanium', because the force required to stand up a mower will ALSO bend the toplink like the will of a slut." Ed you just shot your self in the foot. Did you say solid toplink? I didn't mention chain toplink in the first post. I forgot. The cutter was a noname brand, ancient, and only about 6 ft long attached to a 1070 JD. I do stand corrected on the part that hit him. It was the arm the wheel attached to. He was haulling a$$, the front of the cutter was low. the tractor just cleared the stump and WHAM!!!!! Broke the shaft on the way over, the gearbox survived. You can keep thinking about this, but i believe my eyes. By the way I am not a dealer, and am no way associated with a manufacturer. I seen my opportunites and I took'em. ....

My Cutter Ain t Level

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

2000-06-27          17498

Damn, Wish I had a comment here...sounds like a good thread. I say.. sell your tractor and buy a new one.. Problem solved. Heh heh :) ....

My Cutter Ain t Level

View my Photos
Murf

2000-06-28          17513

ACERBIC, a big word for a fourth grader to be using, pretty impressive, I'm assuming then, that in true southern redneck fashion, this not your first year in the fourth grade? By the way, I don't sit behind a desk, I work 50 hrs a week in the field, then another 30+hrs clearing up paperwork, etc., I built this business by myself from nothing. I now provide a good job for 25 other people, not to mention the money that goes back into the economy in general. If you knew much about tractors (is all your experience with mules maybe) you would know that rolling the tractor over after 'snagging' it is a far more realistic danger than the bush-hog hitting the operator. Besides, we Canadians do our racing on tracks, not on tractors, just another example of the 'loose nut behind the wheel' being a very dangerous thing. ....

My Cutter Ain t Level

View my Photos
Andy

2000-06-28          17515

easy boys!!.......we're supposed to be ridin' tractors......not each other!*L ....

My Cutter Ain t Level

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-06-28          17517

I agree with you, Andy. We don't have to agree on things, but I don't see any point in being disagreeable. ....

My Cutter Ain t Level

View my Photos
Andy

2000-06-28          17518

yer an OK dood Bird.....even if ya do drive orange!*L ....

My Cutter Ain t Level

View my Photos
grader40

2000-06-28          17528

Oh yeah, well my dad killed a gopher with a stick!! How come everytime somebody disagrees with you, you attack. You made fun of the guy that said the thing flipped and now you come after me. Man, my fourth grade education has served me well. It didn't take me three days to think up this great comeback. I like the trailer I rent just fine. I rented all by myself. Now I am LOL. And since I started this attack on you I will hereby attest that I am done, you may fire another volley and we will call it truce. After all, my grandparents were both Canadian, you never know, maybe we're related and that is what makes me sarcastic (opps, another big word!) and you acerbic. Anyway, best wishes and hope you are not too worked up. ....

My Cutter Ain t Level

View my Photos
Murf

2000-06-28          17533

I don't get worked up, LOL, it's just that I'm single, so there's no wife to yell at on a bad day......So I'll buy everyone one of these extra-strength Canadian beers (as long as you're not drivin' the tractor home) for shootin' my mouth off again. The sarcasm is a result of the combination of 1) a worthless piece of paper on the wall, and 2) about 7,500 (total) machine hours per year. Ooopps, there I go again. Besides I doubt were related, you're not nearly stubborn enough to be.....LOL........ ....

My Cutter Ain t Level

View my Photos
Eddie Watkins

2000-06-28          17536

Murf, I will say as much as you know about tractors, you don't know about wives. I shutter think what would happen if I yelled at my wife everytime I had a bad day. Do keep helping us neophytes (how's that for a big word?) with our tractor problems. I certainly appreciate the advise I have received. I won't ask for help with my wife. ....

My Cutter Ain t Level

View my Photos
turfman

2000-06-28          17541

Wow, Murf, you and I had a disagreement a few months back and I never got a beer out of the deal! Hmmmmm, apologize......get beer........Hey man, I sure am sorry about that!!! Now if you had a wife this approach does not work, they brood for a while, then go shopping. Us guys just forgive and forget. Right? I'll have a strong micro-brewed stout, thank you very much. ....

My Cutter Ain t Level

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-06-29          17560

Whoa! It sounds like you guys are having a lot of fun here. So I've got to weigh in - and apologies if it has all been said before. When I'm out mowing a rough pasture or even the local town park with deep grass you had better believe that I want as sturdy of a top link as I can get. The top link connection on mine "hog" has a pivot so that it can accomodate maybe a foot of up and down movement at the trailing wheel. But if you run over something like an old 4" diam. fence post that someone has left in the grass then that mower will jump up and down like a wild thing. You can feel it slapping against the top link and even shaking the tractor. Similar things happen a dozen times a day when mowing 50 acres of rough stuff.
On the other hand, if I were doing something like a golf course where my main concern was scalping the turf and lumber lying around in the grass is rare, then I might take a look at giving the mower move vertical movement. Don't think I'd ever completely o away from some form of a rigid top link though. Whaat I'd probably do is extend the existing parallelogram geometry of top link connection - give it a longer range of motion. I figure that I'm a good enough engineer to draw that up some evening. ....

My Cutter Ain t Level

View my Photos
Darryl Gesner

2000-06-30          17575

Bob - Did you manage to get your cutter leveled out? If so, how and what was the problem.

Darryl ....

My Cutter Ain t Level

View my Photos
jim moore

2000-07-23          18196

Well guys, you know the old saying "Opinions are like assholes! Everybody has one!" And sometimes even assholes have opinions.
I have a 1980 Ford 1700 and a 5 ft. Howse bush hog. I use a chain toplink. I have never had any problems with the hog fliping up. I mow for hire and I have seen others run so fast that the grass is just kinda flogged real good and not cut at all. At the speed I travel while mowing my little Ford would stall out
before the mower would "stand straight up" JIM MOORE ....

My Cutter Ain t Level

View my Photos
Teddy

2002-05-24          38988

I've recently acquired a 5' rotary cutter for my 30hp tractor.

The support linkage that bolts to the sides of the cutter and connect to the lift arms of the tractor are bending and breaking at the bolt on points.

I'm guessing the problem is with the top bar connection - either too loose or connected to low on the tractor.

Any suggestions on this ? ....

My Cutter Ain t Level

View my Photos
Murf

2002-05-24          38992

Teddy, this problem is usually caused by one of two things, either:

1) the blades are out of balance (caused by repairing/sharpening after hitting debris)

2) the rigid upper link is not allowing the mower deck to follow the contour of the ground and too much force is being transferred to the brackets.

My money is on the second option since out of balance blades would not cause them to bend, it would only break the welds/bolts, or 'egg' out the holes. Try replacing the rigid upper third link with a stout piece of chain. Best of luck. ....

My Cutter Ain t Level

View my Photos
DavidJ

2002-05-24          38998

My Cutter Ain t Level

View my Photos
TomG

2002-05-25          39011

I assume the cutter has a tail wheel and no deck wheels. Other people know about alternatives to a rigid top-links so I'll keep my fingers shut. Some tractors (on newer JD's I think) have a control on the 3ph that enables or disables lateral float. I think that enabling lateral float would reduce stress on the lower link brackets. ....

My Cutter Ain t Level

View my Photos
Slamfire

2002-05-26          39064

I live in TN which my relatives in GA and MS tell me ain't in the south, so I understand them big words. Some poor soul asked about tag alongs and why they don't flip. The answer is they are too HEAVY to get off the ground. ;^) ....

My Cutter Ain t Level

View my Photos
lpdcac

2002-08-01          40916

Here's what I do with a 60" Howse rotary mower on a NH TC33D. First off, the fields we mow (our property) are cleared, destumped, and mostly free of exposed rocks. We support the mower deck on the lower lift arms and the rear tire. We run with the top, adjustable lift link disconnected to get the maximum float. Although the fields are clear they have some sharply rolling terrain that would otherwise bend something while mowing if the mower isn't raised.

In order to get the lowest cut possible without carving up the ground with the deck runners I've welded two struts to the front of the deck and use wheel assemblies from a finish mower to limit the down travel on the deck when the tractor lift arms sag while crossing the rutted areas. It all works well for us. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login