Go Bottom Go Bottom

6 rotary cutter too big

View my Photos
Chris
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-05-11          16172

I have the opportunity to pick up a 6' rotary cutter for little to nothing, but I am curious if my 25hp NH is too small to handle it. Any advice would be appreaciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

6 rotary cutter too big

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-05-11          16174

Chris, a 6' rotary cutter would be bigger than "recommended" for a 25hp tractor, but there are several factors you might consider. What is the weight of the one you're looking at? Is it too heavy for your 3-point hitch to pick up? And if not, is it heavy enough that you would have to put weight on the front of the tractor to keep the front wheels on the ground when you pick up the cutter with the 3-point. And what are you going to be cutting? Just weeds and grass or thick brush. It may, or may not, need more PTO power than you have. In other words, you can probably use it, but you may, or may not, like it. ....

6 rotary cutter too big

View my Photos
Chris

2000-05-11          16177

I'm not sure about the weight of the cutter, but I plan to use it for grass and weeds mostly. ....

6 rotary cutter too big

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-05-11          16191

Chris, this is not a situation of "can or can't" it's more like "how much time do you have". A 25hp machine will certainly run a 6' bush-hog, but depending on how tall/thick the 'crop' is you may not be travelling very fast at all. We run 6' cutters on small machines all the time, but unless the grass is very short/dry travel speed is 3mph MAXIMUM. Check the blades are sharp and go slow. As for lifting, a higher tail-wheel setting and NO upper link, or a hydraulicaly adjustable tail wheel will allow you raise the deck straight up rather than tilting it on to the 3pth, a great thing with a small machine. Best of luck. ....

6 rotary cutter too big

View my Photos
JimBinMI

2000-05-12          16199

Chris,

I own a TC18 and have my brochure in front of me which shows your TC25 also.
Your tractor is indeed rated for a 6' rotary cutter! Your 3 pt. is rated to lift 1635 lbs. at 24" behind the hitch so I don't think weight should be a problem.

Good Luck, JimBinMI

6 rotary cutter too big

View my Photos
TomG

2000-05-12          16201

A 6' cutter is almost certainly a mismatch for the tractor. As Murf noted, it will probably will work OK for very light material. I'd just keep in mind that with a smaller cutter, you'd have the option of cutting heavier material that you wouldn't have with the 6'.

I'd also make sure the grade of shear pin in the PTO shaft is appropriate for your PTO. ....

6 rotary cutter too big

View my Photos
JimBinMI

2000-05-12          16210

Manufacturers don't say it's rated for 6' unless it is!
If anything they under rate the equipment toward the safe side.

You own a mean lean BLUE machine, it'll handle the 6' without pussyfooting around!

Nuff Said, JimBinMI ....

6 rotary cutter too big

View my Photos
TomG

2000-05-13          16226

Um. I guess if the tractor manufacture says a machine is rated for a 6' cutter, they probably mean their cutter. Their cutter may be rated for light duty. I'd pay more attention to what an implement manufacturer says about HP requirements. Cutters come in all sorts of duty ratings.

I don't know, but I think if a 6' heavy duty cutter (rated for 3" material) is actually used to cut 3" material, a 25HP tractor isn't going to get far. ....

6 rotary cutter too big

View my Photos
Rob Munach

2000-05-13          16237

My Bushhog SQ600, 5 ft rotary cutter is rated as light duty with a 1" cutting capacity. We use it on a 25 pto HP JD 790. The construction is definitely much heavier duty than a Howse or similar. Bushhog's specs recommend 25 HP min. We have cut some 2" stuff with it but it bogs the engine down (and sounds like it is gonna break the cutter). Cutting tall thick grass at a fast pace will also bog the motor down. I think it is about perfect size for my tractor. 6 ft. sounds too big for your HP unless you like taking your time. I also thought it may be too heavy for my 850lb rated 3 pt hitch, but it does not seem to have a problem picking it up. ....

6 rotary cutter too big

View my Photos
JimBinMI

2000-05-14          16280

After careful reading, here is what the brochure lists.
The TC25 is rated for a New Holland 951B 72" Rotary Cutter.
Since my dealer is long distance, I'll leave it up to someone else to call a New Holland dealer and find out what a 951B is, duty rating, cutting ability.
Good Luck, JimBinMI ....

6 rotary cutter too big

View my Photos
smiller9

2003-03-07          50724

Chris, I have a NH TC29D A 5' is about all it can take in tall grass...tall weeds are a little easyier. After the hydo-drive you are about 20hp at pto on mine. Worst case you have to make one more pass. ....

6 rotary cutter too big

View my Photos
maintenance

2003-03-07          50730

Chris, sounds like the price is right but the 6 ft cut is a lot for the HP. It will most likely work fine if the cutting is light and dry, but a heavy cut will require some patience. I have a 24 hp JD that when I bought it, it came with a 6 ft finish mower, I realize finish mowing is a walk in the park compared to traditional rotary cutting but for a comparison, if the grass is wet at all, my mowing speed has to drop considerably to prevent bogging out. I use my tractor for a side buisness and mowing a wet ball field can get frustrating. Just my experience. Good luck in whatever you choose.
Peter-NH ....

6 rotary cutter too big

View my Photos
Marty23

2003-03-07          50731

I hope he's gotten his cutter by now. The original post was from 3 years ago! ....

6 rotary cutter too big

View my Photos
maintenance

2003-03-08          50780

Wow, next time I'll pay more attention to the date before I waste a good thought. These days their tough to come by. ....

6 rotary cutter too big

View my Photos
Gary in Indiana

2003-05-05          54336

He probably has. I, on the other hand, haven't yet and found the information helpful today. I'm thinking my JD 4200 might be better off with a 5' rotary mower. I've got around 28 HP overall but a little less at the PTO, especially with the hydro transmission. ....

6 rotary cutter too big

View my Photos
Billy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-05-05          54338

Gary, you are Right. A 5' will be perfect for you. Most people want to over load their cutter, which I can understand but you seem to know what is going on. Go for it, you want be disappointed.

Billy ....

6 rotary cutter too big

View my Photos
smiller9

2003-05-06          54408

WOW I'm glad my post was of some help to someone...I guess I learned to read the dates of the post or not to drink so much beer on the computer.... Good luck with the cutter... ....

6 rotary cutter too big

View my Photos
st

2004-01-13          73905

You have MUCH more cutter than tractor. I use a 6ft. behind
a 45 HP and 65 HP. A 4 ft would be advisable. Been using these for many years--Downsize!! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login