Go Bottom Go Bottom

WOW Blade came through side of brushhog

View my Photos
nosteiner4me
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-07-25          144015

My brother inlaw was brush hogging in southern ohio with a 6ft brushhog and one of the blades broke apart and came through the side of the mower and flew out 10 ft and dug itself into the ground. Luckily now one was injured. Think it was an old International brand and was kinda rusty. It cut a large slit out of the metal deck and he tryed to pound it back closed but the metal was too thick to pound back. Must have been lotsa momentum to get all the way thru the metal deck.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-07-25          144017

The potential energy is unbelievable, I've seen just debris hit by the blade do some pretty spectacular damage, never mind the blade itself.

One memorable instance was a piece of gravel, between the size of a marble and a golf ball, I suspect it was a chip off a rock that was struck, it went through a car door, breaking the window which was down, and then through the inner skin and stopping on the outer skin of the opposite door, but not before making a dimple deep enough in the metal to start tearing it open. If not for the glass in the way I'm sure it would have passed through all 4 layers of steel and kept going.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
nosteiner4me

2007-07-25          144018

It really reminded me of a previous post on deck thickness and did the thickness of a mowing deck,brush hog deck really matter much. I guess in this kinda situation it does. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2007-07-25          144019

Actually in a situation like this the thickness of the deck would only affect how far the blade continued to go AFTER it went throguh the deck.

A section of bush hog blade IS going to go through the deck, regardless of how thick the deck is.

As an example, with a 5' bush hog, the circumference of the cutting path is 15.707963', so if the blades are spinning at 810 rpm (a standard gearbox is a 1:1.5 ratio step up) then the tip of each blade is moving about 12,725' per minute or 145 mph.

Any sort of mass moving at 145 mph is going to impact with some pretty scary force.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-07-25          144020

Any sort of mass moving at 145 mph is going to impact with some pretty scary force

That is a Cat 4 in Hurricane ratings. Which is very much a MAJOR one. Just to give you an comparision. ....

View my Photos
kleinchris
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-07-25          144024

About two months ago a contractor working for the county ran over my backflow device which checks the water coming into my property... little tiny brass shrapnal was every where. Because I am such a fantastic person, I said I would install a new one and bill him... no labor, just parts. Guess what? No check and he's not returning my calls. I hope my valve got the better of his brush hog. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2007-07-26          144061

Send the bill to the county! ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-07-27          144068

Don't just send a bill to the county, get on the phone or in person with your elected rep, as the contractor may not be there long. His lack of action to you should be noted as it may be a pattern with others. The county should be able to influence contractors to do the right thing. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login