Go Bottom Go Bottom

1 2 in blade on Woods BB60

View my Photos
poomer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-12-02          137520

Does anyone know if you can put a 1/2 inch blade on a Woods BB60 brush cutter? The specs call for 3/8ths.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-12-02          137521

Dumb question: Why would you put something other than a spec'd item? The 1/2" blade is likely wider too, right? ....

View my Photos
poomer

2006-12-03          137529

I'm thinkin' the 3/8ths will not hold up as well; maybe bend or chip easier. I believe one can buy a 1/2"x3" blade which is the width of the standard blade. I think that is standard on the Bush Hog Squealer (not that one manuf. blades would work on another.)

But you raise an interesting question... would going to a 1/2"x4" blade work on that brush hog? ....

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-12-03          137532

Bumping up to 1/2" from 3/8"--providing they ARE the same 3" width---is a whopping 33% more weight. Now take the 4" wide x 1/2" blade--that's a 66% increase in blade material that the gear box, drive train and mower housing have to withstand. And more importantly, the bolts that hold the blades on. That said, there is likely a reason they use a thinner blade other than cost; gearbox bearings being the main issue in my mind---they might be at the design-limit already, so adding more stress might put them over the edge (pun intended). A half-ton pickup may last for 30 years or more if used as designed as a half-ton. BUT ask it to perform like a 3/4- or 1-ton; it can do it---maybe---but at what cost or risk (i.e, to personal injury if the blade comes off or something breaks)?

But, I'm jis' sayin' :) ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-12-03          137534

Another thought: let's say all things are equal in the drivetrain department that theoretically the thicker blade can be used. I know that on my rotary cutter the non-business end of the blade is captured in a yoke and held by a single flat head bolt and nut. The yoke-to-blade fitment is very close-tolerance, so that might be the determining factor on yours if the yoke won't open up another 1/8". And I have to think that if the yokes are opened up the chances of the top and bottom holes aligning is slim to none. In that case you'd have to drill them out and the result would be sloppy fit which will cause vibration and possibly rapid wear of the bolts and/or holes in the yokes depending on use. ....

View my Photos
poomer

2006-12-04          137546

Lots of good input. Thanks. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-12-04          137547

poomer,

Do they offer a 1/2 blade as well as the 3/8 or have you found a blade for another cutter you think would fit?

ew,
So you really think engineers do that carefull math? I'm just asking.

View my Photos
poomer

2006-12-04          137550

No they don't offer that blade. In talking to the Woods tech guy, he indicated there was a tolerance but that the bolt may not be long enough. I was thinking of a generic blade that might be compatible. Maybe it's not that big a deal. Do you have any experience with the either blade? I'm cutting multi-flora rose as well as overgrown, decent hayfield on medium slope.

In the 6ft. version, Woods steps up to a 1/2" blade. But it is 6" longer so won't work on the 5'. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-12-04          137554

poomer,
If that is all you are cutting I think the 3/8 would work very well and for a long time. Good time of year for such work, many bitting insects are down with the chill. ....

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2006-12-04          137557

Running a machine under conditions that exceed it's anticipated working stress loads will shorten machine life. ....

View my Photos
poomer

2006-12-04          137563

Are you saying that my intended use is not designed for the Woods BB60c? Could you clarify? Thanks. ....

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2006-12-04          137564

If they dont offer the 1/2" blade then you can suppose tha machine was designed to operate with the smaller blades. In general if a machine can use different options then manufacturers like to do so as a way of increasing revenue from "upgrades". From what others and yourself have inidcated I think it safe to assume that the larger blades would be "extra lable use" and would (in accordance with the law of averages) shorten machine life as a result. Your specific experience may differ of course. I would rather wear the smaller blades at a higher rate vs wearing the machine. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-12-04          137569

Kenny I know engineers in the automotive field don't do a lot of math. The misconception is engineers design the stuff you sue. Not so. A designer designs it, someone builds it and then maybe an engineer gets involved. I call it trial-and-error. I've been on both sides of the fence engineering-wise and 99% is left up to the testing department which typically are not professional engineers in the purest sense--typically they are on their way to being an engineeer or a highly qualified technician. The warranty departments are the result of when real-world testing fails. For example I had a former collegue who went to work for Ford. He got paid to go to the Arizona test flats to do forward-to-reverse slams to test durability. That said design and testing has come into it's own where they are actually simulating driving cars into barriers on computer. They do this many thousands of times on the tube but the Gov. still requires they do a reduced number to prove their theories. Each copy of a pre-production car can cost half to a million per car.

Anyone can call themselves an engineer--I was 18 when I had my first title as "Chief Product Design Engineer" for a Harley-Davidson parts supplier. The owner would joke that "he gave me a title in lieu of a raise"-- and boy was that true!

Hey Ken, I realize Dennis did your avatar for you, but what is the connection to the coast or to you? I see that same logo in various sizes and colors around here. To me it remembles a Moslem or Arabic`symbol. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-12-05          137591

Ole EW,
Short study in your American History. That is the flag of the great state of South Carolina, very rich in history and with many battle grounds both on our land and our waters. The symbols come from the Revolution War totally. The palmetto tree surprised many (engineers?) as it was soft and absorb the energy of the British guns, rather than splintering. There are those who say the crescent is a new moon and some who say it is not the moon.

Asked by the Revolutionary Council of Safety in the fall of 1775 to design a flag for the use of the South Carolina troops, Col. William Moultrie chose a blue which matched the color of their uniforms and a crescent which reproduced the silver emblem worn on the front of their caps. The palmetto tree was added later to represent Moultrie's heroic defense of the palmetto-log fort on Sullivan's Island against the attack of the British fleet on June 28, 1776.

Dennis picked something of which I am most proud and respect.

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-12-05          137612

(laughing now) That's what I like about you rednecks... to us Yanks it's ancient history; for rednecks it's like it happened yesterday. I can feel the pride, seriously (well, what else do you have, really?) I'm jus' kidding--don't get your panties in a bunch.

And that was a very good disertation on the historical aspects of the arab-looking symbolism. But you do have to admit it looks arabic. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-12-05          137617

You are right about one thing, we don't have much. Guess that is who so many Northerners and D Yankess are moving here. Can not build fast enough for them. I understand, if I was not proud of home, I would leave also.

As to ancient history, that line of thinking and being very serious is why the Arabs and others such as China are such a serious threat. So many in the US and Canada only think of the NOW and forget the history and the furture. I do think you have more grey matter than that, realize you are mostly trying to get my goat. But I learned a long time ago the bug buzzing, is not the one bitting. Just making noise.

I also have the ability that is broke my heart when New York City was hit. It was not an attack on a bunch of arrogant Yankess, It was an attack on my country and my brothers and sisters of the United States pure and simple. Probably would feel the same if it were Detorit.

View my Photos
poomer

2006-12-05          137618

Yankees!!!??? Did someone say Yankees? GO RED SOX!! :) ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-12-05          137620

poomer,
I agree with that! ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-12-05          137627

Oh com'on Kenny gimme a hug. I'm sorry you're riled up. Obviously you're in touch with your sensitive side today.
Speaking of sensitivity, and Detroit you might not feel that way if you have ever visited there. And I'm NOT jis' sayin' THIS time.

And yes, the South is the new North. Everything is cyclic--in the '20's, 70's and '90's southerners flocked to the north for higher paying jobs. The tide is turning though. Driving through Waveland today Taco Bell is paying $11 an hour. Same job near "DeTroyt" $7-8.

I love it down here. Now, if I can just make ends meet... ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-12-05          137630

EW, just wondering...
Taco Bell pays about a 1/3 more there than in Detorit...could it be the reason ends don't met is the middle is tooooo bigggg?

When it comes to my family or my country or my God, there is not much room in those areas, not much at all before my nails dig in. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-12-05          137631

Middle too big? Me? I don't WHAT yer talking about--that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Still want that hug?

(sound of pants going back on) (oh man---crap! I forgot to turn off the web-cam! eeek--WHERE'S THE SWITCH???) ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login