Go Bottom Go Bottom

48 Woods vs Bushhog Squealer vs King Kutter

View my Photos
53Gravely
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-06-16          112482

I'm picking up a 24 hp (18 pto) Kubota 7610 and want a rotary cutter to reclaim/maintain 2 two acre pastures at my place in VT.
I can get a King kutter from Tractor supply for $600. The Kubota dealer has BH and Woods in stock for $1,000. Any features to make the more expensive ones better? Any other considerations?
The other thing is that I will be storing it outside for lack of space in the barn. How will they hold up in the weather?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kdsrgone

2005-06-16          112489

I currently have the BH Squealer 72 and am very happy with it. My dealer also sold BH and Woods, and at the time I think the only reason I ended up with BH was that was what he had in stock with the options I wanted ( flat-proof tire, slip clutch, 72"). I thikn the price was very close on both. My only experience with KK was a 60" rear-mount finish mower back in the late 80's early 90's. I wasn't really impressed with it but I have no clue what their current product is like. ....

View my Photos
BillMullens
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-06-18          112537

For non-commercial use, the KK would be fine. As far as holding up when stored outside, I think they would all suffer about the same. Lots of them have been kept outside and lasted for 20 or more years.

I've used a KK finish mower for the last 5 years and have no complaints.

Good luck,
Bill ....

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-06-18          112544

I've got a KK 5' rotary cutter on 2003 New Holland TC33D hydrostat. I use it commercially and it will cut 3 and 4" trees with ease. 6' tall grass/weeds--no problem even in high range. As far as "quality" KK to me is entry-level, but for what I do it works fine. The only "problems" I have had is the deck sides cracked at the front and the rear wheel pivot wore out in a matter hours. I cut it off and replaced it with a cast iron, true bearing-type caster from a JD planter with a true bearing hub versus a non-bearing type wheelbarrow wheel/hub KK uses. Mine sits outside unprotected in Michigan all year (I keep it painted). The biggest thing that kills any grass cutting equipment is wet grass left under the deck (rust) and bearing failure due to loss of lubrication. ....

View my Photos
harvey

2005-06-19          112552

I bought a Taylor Made (off brand) similar to KK. Mine is 4'has to be 18 years old now. It origanially went on my little 20hp tractor. I still use it on my 35 hp tractor.

As EW said keep it greased and cleaned. Mine has sat out with out any cleaning the deck is beat all to pieces (cutting other peoples land) several rips in the welds and not some rust thru is starting to show.

It needs a good winter overhaul. But I only use it a couple of times a year so it keeps getting putoff.

Buy the cutter cheap abuse the crap out of it then up grade some day if you need to. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2005-06-19          112555

Thirteen seasons on my 5' BH Squealer. Kept outside until the barn was completed four years ago, very little negative effect on it. I bought the clutch to protect the gear box, extra hundred or so at the time. Seems I paid around eight or nine hundred at the time. ....

View my Photos
jamese

2005-06-30          112976

king kutter is light duty only,,you get what you pay for! ....

View my Photos
DK35vince

2005-07-01          113014

The King Kutter would be fine.
I run a King Kutter 6' brushmower. Cleared my overgrown 15 acres with it (cut down some trees/brush around the diameter of my wrist) with no problem.

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-07-11          113298

I just used my KK disk. This time after plowing! It sounded like I was disking a gravel pit, had a rock lodge inbetween disks and had to hammer it out. Bounced off many rocks we did not see large enough to lift disk off ground. Absolutely NO damage!! Unbelievable! The more I use my KK equipment the more I am starting to be hooked! I own a Woods brush cutter, I am very happy with it! Although I am starting to think I paid about 400 too much and could of got a KK with a slip clutch and been just as happy. My KK equipment now included a 84" landscape rake,box blade, 6' tiller, box disk, No problems with ANY of them. IMO, Will the name products probably be built better? YES. Am I happy with ALL my KK products? YES.
You make the call? I think KK will do you fine but make sure you compare apples and apples. Gaurding and a slip clutch will add to the bare bone costs of KK! ....

View my Photos
jamese

2005-07-19          113675

OK,,Lets look at warantee on gear box,,,I think Woods is 3 years,Bush Hog is 2 years,and KK is one years(just a thought) ....

View my Photos

2005-07-28          114039

I personally would suggest you look at a howse 5ft
rotary mower. I think it is the best built mower
on the market. I think you can still get one for
under $1000 and the parts are all readily availabe
(at least here in N. Wisc. they are) I have stored
mine outdoors for the last 15 years and other than
the paint, it doesnt hurt it. I do take the pto
shaft in for the winter. I now will begin storing
it indoors, as I have built another shed. If maintained
properly about all you will need is a set of blades from
time to time. ....

View my Photos
RD53JD56

2009-06-08          163316

I just bought a Bushhog SquealerSQ160 and I'm having quite a bit of vibration.I'm running it at 540 rpm like it's supposed to be run.Do 3 point hitch cutters usually vibrate?I'm used to a pull type. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2009-06-08          163318

Mine shakes around quite a bit, wouldn't really call it vibration but due to those axe type blades swirling in there it can make the thing wobble a bit. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-06-08          163321

I would check to see if both blades are free to spin, check all bolts are tight including the stump pan (think that model has one). ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-06-09          163325

After a rotary cutter sits even inside for a while the pivot pins that hold the blades can rust up so that the blades won't swing freely. When this happens one blade may be fully extended and the other not quite even at full RPM, this causes an unballenced situation that makes things shake.
Block the cutter up so there is no chance of it falling on you then oil the pins while working them around so they swing freely.
Something else like a bent shaft, broken blade, etc. can be wrong too, but usually an oilcan will fix it. Frank. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-06-09          163326

On my 5' KingKutter, the nut on the bottom that holds the entire blade assembly comes loose and causes vibration. I've even tack-welded the nut to no avail. Of course hitting stumps, hidden concrete and car tires doesn't help. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2009-06-09          163336

Jeff, doesn't your cutter have a stump-jumper on it?

Ours go through some pretty ugly property on a regular basis with no problem at all.

The nut should also be a lock-nut type of fastener, if it isn't it might be worth your time to change it over.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-06-09          163343

Adding to Hardwood, a piece of wire or string even can wrap around the bolt between the blade and the stump jumper and bind the blade up. If you ever used one of the slope cutting models you quickly understand how free the blades are when you hear them falling as the rotation slows with the cutter vertical. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-06-09          163348

Murf, yes it has a stump jumper, but by the time I hit a piece of concrete it's too late. Aand yes it has a locking nut--castle-type. But I think the shaft just can't take all that pounding with all that leverage and so something has to give--likely the nut is yielding or squashing and thus the blade ass'y gets loose--or lose--as Kenny says. I should probably find a decent Belleville washer and maybe that would help keep constant pressure on the nut. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-06-09          163350

Long time ago I bought an old pull type rotary cutter on an auction, it wasn't much but it did work for a while till the shaft on the bottom of the gearcase broke and the whole shootin match came flying out from under the thing, thank
God it went out the back. After looking the situation over it was clear the shaft had been broken before I bought it and welded together by someone. Another of my nine lives used up, I think I'm up to about fifty by now. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2009-06-10          163355

Jeff, the castellated nut is the problem.

Any time we run into one of those on any of our equipment we always swap it out for a nylon locking nut. The combination of vibration and impacts causes the castellated nut to back off, sometimes it shears the locking pin, sometimes the pin just leaves on it's own.

The nylon lock nuts seem to stay in place when other types of locking mechanisms don't.

Best of luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login