Go Bottom Go Bottom

Belarus Hydraulic Problem

View my Photos
saintsfanlewis84
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-06-11          88358

Hi,

My dad died suddenly June 2003 and left my mom w/lots of grass to bush hog. He has a Belarus 250 AS, around 1992 model that none of us knew much about.

Up until June of this year my husband was cutting the grass w/his tractor, but he had a major ankle injury in May 2004 and in the meantime let his brother borrow his tractor. Long story short, I got the grass cutting responsibility, I semi learned how to use daddy's tractor; however, none of us checked the hydraulic fluid (had no idea where to). I was making progress cutting grass one Sunday when the lift just quit working. I told hubby it acted like it was out of fluid and it was. We added fluid and have since bled every line we can find and identify f/the book, but the up lift still will not work. You can manually pull it up, and it will go down w/the lever, but it will not pull up w/the lever.

We eliminated lots of air in the lines, we worked all evening today after I got home, and he had been working prior to my getting home, it still will not lift. Hubby is still limited w/his foot, but it surely is not the easiest thing to work on w/full mobility. My question is......could it possibly still have air in the lines, like a small amt that would cause the up lift not to work? We pumped the lines coming f/the pump, going to the power cylinder and to the housing itself. The pump seems to be pumping fluid back to the housing good, while bleeding the lines we pumped a lot of fluid out w/pressure on in an effort to get rid of air.

He says this tractor is opposite of his....it is a learning process, but I did notice the lift was weak compared to hubby's MF when using it prior to it quitting, but of course that could be f/low fluid.

I mainly want to get it fixed b/c I essentially tore it up. If not the air, does it sound like something in the gear portion of the lift is messed up?

Any help anyone could provide me would be GREATLY appreciated prior to hauling it somewhere for repair. We are at a loss.

Thank you!

Connie

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-06-12          88360

Connie: You indeed have a problem, My thoughts for the short term would be to hire a neighbor or a mowing service to take care of your immediate needs. Sounds like you and hubby both could uses some rest till his injury heals. Not knowing what part of country you're in I'm wondering if there are any Belarus dealers still in business and about parts avalability. Here in the upper midwest a Belarus is pretty much an orphan, I would'nt have a clue where to find a dealer who could work on one. Unless Dads tractor has a sentimental value, and depending on how serious the repair job could get why not let someone else take care of the mowing for now then look into a much more user friendly late model or new compact from one of the big three in the business, Kubota, Deere, or Ford New Holland. All three have a great dealer network and parts inventory, plus service people who can help you out in a pinch. Just my thoughts, Frank. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2004-06-12          88362

Some Belarus have a 3ph that is capable of down-pressure but I've never heard how it is operated. If there's a control that selects between normal and down-pressure, then maybe a control was inadvertently moved. If it has draft control that would be another similar possibility.

Most systems do not require bleeding of the high-pressure line. Some hydraulic pumps require priming and an owner's manual likely would identify a priming port. Never the less, it sounds like you should have primed it by putting oil into the suction line. It does sound like the pump is pumping--depending on how the flow back to the cases was determined. A pressure test could determine whether the pump is supporting a load if it doesn't have a loader. A test would be simple with an inexpensive gauge and fitting if the tractor has a manifold block with diver relief valves. You have to be certain that a relief valve is in the system to avoid dead-heading the pump.

On general principal I'd change the hydraulic filter and clean any screens. A box store like NAPA may have a cross-reference chart that lists Belarus. It also may be fairly simple to verify that the linkage actually is working the control valves. ....

View my Photos
saintsfanlewis84

2004-06-12          88365

Thank ya'll so much for the replies.

I am going to make some calls about hiring someone at least to do around the pond and the dam itself, it's just too steep. We are in the HOT South and there is a Belarus dealer about an hour f/here, so it prolly will come down to that, sigh.

Tom, I found that filter in the book as it was getting dark - it's under the seat. You've got to raise the entire seat "piece" to get to it, but we will. We determined flow thru the whole system by using the levers and it was a good, strong flow always, if that's what you meant. I don't think there's a lever to switch between high and low. This thing is complicated and the book is limited in info/explanation. It's written in English and Russian, and it's like someone sat this Russian guy down, he talked, they interpreted and then typed, only they were not as familiar as he on tractors, lol. They tried to explain it to us though. Needless to say hubby has cussed it many times. I like the tractor myself.

I'm thinking something in that control valve is worn out? The book said something about the right sided line going/coming f/the power cylinder was what was used to direct flow for lift, or something like that. Well, it's getting fluid too, so....maybe a gear in that control valve is worn out, does that make sense? Prolly not, but you know what I mean; however, it was working fine until I ran it dry.

Thanks again guys! We're not givin' up yet! Suggestions always welcome.

Connie ....

View my Photos
marklugo
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-06-23          89231

Connie,
I have been off this site for a while. But I am back for now. I just happened to be factory certified on Belarus. This is a very very simple problem. A belarus mechanic learns about this the first day. First confirm that the Hydraulic pump is still engaged. (BTW The hydraulic filters are washable! Do not buy.) It is located on the pump on the lower middle right of the tractor just behind the bell housing. Sometimes a stick will get in there and dislodge the lever.

O.K. -> assuming this wasn't the problem, there is a bypass valve located on the distributor valve. You will see a football shaped plate on top of the distributor valve just under the right hand floor board. Unscrew the bolts attatching the cover to the valve. You may have to remove the right floor panel to get better access. Down under the plate is the by pass valve. It is stuck. Take a needle nose pair of pliers and remove the whole vavle by pulling up. Engage the decompression lever and take tractor out of gear. Now crank over engine for 10 -15 seconds. Oil will flow out of the hole where the valve was. This is a little messy so buy some kitty litter to throw down (AKA Oil-Dry). Now put relief valve back in. DO NOT tamper with the valve itself unless you want a more difficult job of resetting the hydraulic pressure.

It was either stuck or some dirt was under the valve seat, If this works, which in 95% of all cases it was.

Hope this helps. ....

View my Photos
marklugo
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-06-23          89232

P.S. Use only 30 wt non-detergent motor oil in hydraulics. This will give you many happier years of service. You can still buy this oil at Dollar General or other like stores for .75 a qt.

View my Photos
saintsfanlewis84

2004-06-25          89326

Mark,

TYVM for your suggestions. You were right on about the bypass valve.

Hubby and his dad fixed the tractor about 2 wks ago, his dad mentioned that it might be that bypass valve, and it was, I've been meaning to post their success. They took it out, cleaned it and tadah, it worked again. I'm soooo relieved! In fact, it works 100% better now at lifting.

My husband even says he likes the tractor now, lol.

I'll print out the other things you mentioned also and keep it with the tractor papers.

Thanks so very much to everyone who responded with suggestions, this is a great site and is now bookmarked here and on my home computer.

Connie :) ....

View my Photos
stevenc

2004-06-30          89788

Belarus has a office in Millwalkee WI,,( I know I dont spell well),,and also I think "belarus.com" It is worth a try ....

View my Photos
pasoglide

2007-08-11          144621

Hi I am having the same problem with my Belarus . Where is this football shaped plate on the destribor valve ? Do you have a picture ? ....

View my Photos
pasoglide

2007-08-11          144622

Never mind found it and it works now . Thanks ....

View my Photos
belarus250

2008-06-29          154947

Marklugo:
A question for you. I removed the football shaped plate on my 250 to check the valve. When the plate is off there is a flat aluminum disc in the hole. This disc is very tight and I can't get it out. It has a hole in the middle of it about 3/8" and I can see through it to a spring. I assume it is the bypass valve. I do not want to force this disc to remove it. Any suggestions?

The 3pth lifts and lowers the lower links with no load on them, however, when an implement is on, it will just take up the slack in the arms but will not lift the implement. I assume it is this by pass valve.

Pump is okay, it works the loader, 3pth cylinder fine too. I hooked the lines up that go to the 3pth cylinder to another cylinder on an implement and the same thing, it takes up the slack but has no power to lift.

As a Belarus mechanic your opinion would be valued. ....

View my Photos
belarus250

2008-07-05          155090

Further to Marklugo's excellent suggestion on the 'no lift ' problem. I took off the football shaped flat plate, about 2" wide. Under it was an aluminum( could be steel) disc. This disc has a hole in it, the hole should be threaded, mine was not. I threaded that aluminum disc the same size as the hold down bolt for the plate. Now, I had a look at another 250 it had a steel plug that was threaded to accept one of the hold down bolts to help pull out this disc, it is hard to get out but will come. Once that disc is out, you will have a compression spring, pull it out. Then a machined piece that should pull out. That machined piece should slide up and down free. Then, do the decompression lever thing and use the starter to pump oil up and out the open hole. Messy as mark says. Re assemble and I hope it solves your problem like it solved mine. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2008-07-07          155148

belarus250---seeing as this post is more than 4 years old, I would be surprised if you get a response from Marklugo. ....

View my Photos
paparay

2008-09-19          156794

got a hint for you on the hydraulic problem. On the right hand side of the hydraulic control lever is a flat oval shaped plate held down with to bolts. under this plate is a check valve. Remove the 2 bolts and lift off the plate and you will see what looks like a washer with the hole off center. under that is a spring. Sometimes this assembly will all raise up when you take off the plate. what has happened is that when you lost or got low fluid in the reservoir, you passed some trash thru to the check valve. A quick fix is to close the throttle and turn the engine over until you get a good gush of hyd. fluid up thru the check valve. reinstall the spring, washer and plate and your lift will work. This is a field fix, and at some point in time you will need to drain the reservoir, remove and clean the filter and flush out the reservoir and refill with new oil.
Ray ....

View my Photos
droscoe

2015-08-14          193341

Hi Mark I have a Belarus 520 and recently replaced the hydraulic line that goes into the base of the traction booster unit. When the line came off there was a 2 piece fork that holds a spring that holds a ball bearing that has a 4 finned piece that sits on top. After we put it back together I have no down pressure. We put the pieces back together the way they are shown in the parts diagram. Any thoughts on why down pressure is not working now? ....

View my Photos
MississippiAdam

2021-04-12          200247

I know this is an old conversation but does anyone have a photo of where and what this bypass valve looks like? ....

View my Photos
pasoglide

2021-04-13          200248

It's down on the floorboard , it has tow levers coming out, the up and down lever, the football shape has two screws on it. ....

View my Photos
MississippiAdam

2021-04-13          200249

Thank you! I do not know much about hydraulic systems. I appreciate ya. ....

View my Photos
Hedgehog

2022-03-28          200940

I know this post is old but looking for help here. I have a 1990 s Belarus 6345 with down pressure friend was using it and did not realize he was leaking hydraulic fluid from the front loader and ran it dry. repaired the front loader changed hydraulic filter and filled fluid but now the 3pt will not lift it tries and as soon as it gets pressure it stops. front loader works fine but 3pt won't work at all. thinking maybe blew a seal on the lift cylinder or in the control valve but short of hooking gauges to it any ideas?

View my Photos
lsheaffer

2022-04-01          200959

I wonder if it has air in it. Running out of fluid shouldn't hurt thr seals. ....

Link:   japanese tractor parts

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login