Go Bottom Go Bottom

250AS - dropped dipstick bolt into hydraulic tank - how to remove

View my Photos
roscolo
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2013-07-21          187679

So, it was getting dark and I was putting oil in the hydraulic tank. I accidentally dropped the bolt that serves as a dipstick for the fluid level into the hydraulic tank! I poked around with a magnet and could not get it.

Question: What is the easiest way to get it out?

And, what if I just leave it in there? Is it going to hurt anything?

I've never cleaned the hydraulic filter on this tractor. If I clean the filter, can I see down in there and maybe get it out that way?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
mcdowell08

2013-07-21          187680

You are correct. If the tank on your tractor is like a 500 series when u pull the filter out you almost sit down in the tank. You would have plenty of rooom to find your dip stick. And trust me if you haven't ever done anything to the filter I highly recommend that you change it before you have problema. ....

View my Photos
roscolo

2013-07-21          187681

Thanks. So, the tractor is sitting in the field. I haven't moved it since I dropped the dipstick in the tank.

Will it be safe to drive the tractor a short distance to a better location to remove and clean the hydraulic filter? I have a mower connected, but I can unhitch it and leave it where it is. ....

View my Photos
mcdowell08

2013-07-21          187682

I would only do that if your tractor has a disengaged switch to keep the pump from turning just in case it makes it to the pump. ....

View my Photos
roscolo

2013-07-21          187684

I don't think the 250AS is the same as your 500 series.

Anyone have a link to a diagram showing how to access the hydraulic filters on the 250AS? I read somewhere you remove the seat on tractor, but looking at it now in the daylight, I don't see any way that I will be able to access the tank from the top like I thought, much less get in that tank to retrieve the dipstick.

The only place on the hydraulic tank I feel bolts (can't see them because I haven't removed the seat yet) is on the side towards the front of the tractor. Is this where you access the hydraulic tank on your 500 series?

Looking for a repair manual or schematic now (in Russian of course). Fortunately my wife is a translator. If I find it I will post the file. Can't believe no one has scanned and shared a Service or Repair manual for these, but I guess these tractors aren't very popular.

View my Photos
roscolo

2013-07-25          187718

Well, got it out! The solution has nothing to do with the hydraulic filters.

Drain or siphon the oil out of the hydraulic tank.

Remove the plate on the side of the tank facing the front of the tractor (the one with 5 bolts).

There's another hole that leads to the bottom of the tank. Siphon the oil out of there. Using a magnetic grab tool, I was able to get the dipstick out. I'll never use the dipstick again, just the finger method! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login