Go Bottom Go Bottom

Does anyone use studded tires anymore

View my Photos
gravely
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2021-01-16          199932

I had a GTO muscle car many moons ago and the rear wheel drive with 400hp engine needed studded rear snows to make at all passable.

Wondering if AWD or new winter tires have replaced need for studs don t see any more, do you ?

"Ten states prohibit studded snow tires: Alabama, Texas, Florida, Maryland (exception five mountain counties), Louisiana, Hawaii, Illinois, Minnesota, Mississippi and Wisconsin. ... Seven states allow unrestricted use of studded tires: Colorado, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Kentucky, New Mexico, Vermont and Wyoming."

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2021-01-18          199937

It's more about power management and traction control these days.

My daily driver is a 600hp AWD SUV, I run very aggressive snow tires that are designed for performance vehicles. I have very little problems with traction .... until my right foot gets heavy that is. LOL

Best of luck.

View my Photos
MHarryE
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2021-01-21          199952

I had studded snows on my '68 Mustang and '70 Nova. Then the highway departments noticed the severe damage happening to the roadways and banned them. Along with that we saw the shift to front wheel drive, then four wheel drive, but most of all the tire companies improved the stickiness of their tires. I had a 2000 BMW rwd that absolutely needed winter tires in winter (I live in Minnesota) but it was important to change for summer as tread wear was not very good, a sacrifice made for snow and ice traction. It was replaced with a 2008 awd BMW and the need to change tires went away.

So they were banned in northern states like MN due to highway damage, replaced by improved tires, traction control, 4wd, front wheel drive.

My studded tire experience was nice for icy roads but horrible once winter was over as the carbide studs on asphalt spun easier than a broad full rubber contact. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login