Go Bottom Go Bottom

The Gold Wing of ATV s

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-01-02          122132

Some of you may have followed my troubled journey into ATV land. There is a new chapter, but first a brief re-cap.

The RTV 900 didn't work out well. It is a good work place hauler... maybe none better.... but it is not a true off-road machine. With my altitudes(5000-9000 feet) and soil conditions it was underpowered and prone to get stuck.

Next I fooled around with a used Suzuki Samurai (now up for sale) but I just plain don't fit in some vehicles and the off road ride left something to be desired with my 50 something back.

Trust me when I tell you that if you shop in the 3XL tall section and wear size 14 tenny-runners, the Samurai is not your vehicle.

People have offered lots of input and the advise has been appreciated, but I have had a concept of what I wanted.

Basically I am not thrilled with carburetors(due to high altitude problems), air cooled engines(extreme heat environment), harsh rides, bias ply tires, drum brakes, drive belts, free wheeling drive trains, marketing hype and questionable quality.

It looks like Honda solved my problem this year. I picked up a 2006 Rincon last Friday.

It has a(new for '06) 675cc fuel injected, liquid cooled, gasoline engine with electric starting. The ride is supreme with 4 wheel independent suspension, disc brakes all around and standard low pressure radial tires.

Believe it or not, it has a scaled-down, automotive-style, 3 speed automatic transmission complete with torque converter and oil cooler, plus it is set-up to use engine braking to help control downhill descents.

No drive belts here: you get a transfer case and drive shafts to front and rear wheels and limited slip axles on both ends. It has a 500 pound weight capacity on the machine and will tow 800 pounds on the rear hitch.

And need I add Honda quality?

Let the long term test begin.............

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

The Gold Wing of ATV s

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-01-02          122135

What? No cab? How are you gonna keep the sun off your noggin? ....

The Gold Wing of ATV s

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-01-02          122136

I got a "cab" for $49.95, it's called a helmet. And yes...it fits! ....

The Gold Wing of ATV s

View my Photos
Chief

2006-01-02          122137

Did you have the helmet custom made? LOL! I take "extra large water melon head". ;O) I have a similar problem with my clod hoppers on the peddles to at 15EE.

That belt drive is what was holding me back from the Polaris Ranger XP. You got a real nice ATV Mark. Be sure to post some pics and any mods you make. ....

The Gold Wing of ATV s

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2006-01-02          122141

Interesting choice DR, I have been mulling over the kawasaki mule vs honda foreman/polaris sportsman, hawkeye to get up on my "landlocked" mountain land left to me by my father. It was part of a farm he and my grandfather owned. I question whether the mule could really get me as far into the woods as an ATV. Right now the only trails up there are used by ATVs.

I have to balance that with the fact that my wife would like to get into the woods also and doesn't like the idea of riding on the back of an ATV. I probably won't buy either as I probably won't get the use (time is more the issue) out of them to justify the $$.

The Gold Wing of ATV s

View my Photos
dsg

2006-01-02          122148

Good choice DR, I've been running Honda's for 22-yrs now and wouldn't run anything else.

David ....

The Gold Wing of ATV s

View my Photos
dfkrug

2006-01-02          122163

Hey, DRankin, I have read about your travails with ATVs with interest.

Tell me more about your experience with Suzuki Samurais.
You can buy these in working order for only a couple $K.
The new Honda Rincon must have run well over $10K. I am
sure it is a sweet machine.

I have considered buying one of the later Suzukis (Trackers)
with EFI and removing the body to get an off-road ATV with
side-by-side seating and (like you wanted) a real automatic
tranny. Maybe even a hydraulic dump bed.

The Gold Wing of ATV s

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-01-03          122178

Actually the Rincon was $7600 before taxes at a dealer in Sonora, CA.

I didn't get too far with the Samurai project so other than a new bumper and remounting the seat it is pretty much stock.

Have you surfed the net to find all the stuff available for the Suzuki's? It is pretty amazing.

If you wanted to stick with a manual tranny you can have my Samurai cheap.... I will even deliver, but not today! I don't think there is a road open between us!

The Gold Wing of ATV s

View my Photos
dfkrug

2006-01-03          122186

Are you in the Reno area?

There are many of these vehicles on Craigs list in the SF bay area, where I am. I was hoping for an EFI automatic Tracker or Sidekick, rolled over. And....one I did not have to drive too far to pick up. All the ones under $1000 I wanted so far have been farther away than I wanted to drive.

What do you want for your Sammy? ....

The Gold Wing of ATV s

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-01-03          122188

Yes.... Reno area.

If I put it in the paper I would start at $1500 knowing I would net $1400 or less after paying for the ad. ....

The Gold Wing of ATV s

View my Photos
dfkrug

2006-01-03          122213

I am going to hold out for a sub-$1000 vehicle. It seems
a shame to buy one with a perfectly good body, which I am
going to remove. I would like to get one of the later
fuel-injected units ideally.

You should not have trouble selling a good usable 4wd
Sammy at that price. They are popular for off-roading and
to tow around with a motorhome.

Years ago, complaints about their rollover tendencies were
everywhere. I have not found many rolled vehicles, however. ....

The Gold Wing of ATV s

View my Photos
Blueman

2006-01-04          122220

DR,
I bought the Foreman 500 last spring to haul my fat a$$ around my farm. It does great, but the ride is not even close to what an old Polaris offered. I guess Honda figured that, since I bought my Foreman, it's time to offer independent rear suspensions! Anyway, it's been a great machine so far, although I do have a second recall to deal with. Best of luck! ....

The Gold Wing of ATV s

View my Photos
brokenarrow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-03-03          125522

That is exactly why I went to Polaris. I was always a Honda guy. I could not justify or afford the Rincon. Justify the horse power that I will never need or the added weight, I could really afford it if I wanted but I would kick myself for all the other things mentioned.
My polais 400 sportsman is ALL the machine I need. Fast, extreme clearance compared to others in its class and the KEY Independent susp. Would never buy anouther one with out it that is 1 gazzilion percent a fact.
PS. The polaris has not given me one lick of problems!!!!!!yet! ....

The Gold Wing of ATV s

View my Photos
roadrunner19

2006-03-03          125524

But you can not beat the Honda transmission with Polaris belt drive ....

The Gold Wing of ATV s

View my Photos
Chief

2006-03-03          125525

Mark, I finally got an ATV. Decided to go with a 2005 Honda Foreman 500 and a 2005 Honda Recon 250. They both actually passed the size 14EE clod-hoppy test requirement and I have been having a ball for the past 3 days exploring. The Foreman has a very firm ride but with 2 passengers is very smooth. Has more than plenty of power. I looked at the Rincon and it was as big as the Yamaha Rhino 660. It was a monster. I think I would have problems with it on some of the more narrow trails.........I do with the Foreman already. The Recon 250 can shoe horn in on the really tight trails. I got the Foreman in manual shift and the Recon in electric shift which worked out very well for my daughter to drive. ....

The Gold Wing of ATV s

View my Photos
Blueman

2006-03-06          125611

Chief,
Congrats on the purchase! I still love mine, about a year old now. One thing I have found...as bulletproof as the engine is on my Foreman, I don't like that I have to pull the plastic shield off to check the oil...did they correct that yet? And, I've already torn my seat cover with a tree stand. The material is VERY thin, and I haven't found an affordable replacement yet (other than the duct tape presently on there!) ....

The Gold Wing of ATV s

View my Photos
Chief

2006-03-06          125630

Still have to take the side cover off to check the oil and I am not sure about the seat material. I haven't hauled anything on it yet. Plenty of power for me and is VERY economical with gas. ....

The Gold Wing of ATV s

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-03-07          125665

Randy, good to hear that you not only figured out what you needed but that you are happy with the purchase.

I am real pleased with my Rincon. Might have to play with the tires a bit though.

A guy on another web site put his Rincon on the Dyno and got 18 HP at the wheels. That is only 3 hp less than the gross engine numbers listed for the RTV.

I got it rigged up with a winch that swaps from front to back and a good trailer hitch to haul my firewood trailer.

Also put on a flip-up back rest so my wife can ride as passenger without feeling like she is going over the back side when we go uphill. Plenty of room on the seat and in the footrests for both of us and we are within the gross vehicle weight now that I have shed a few pounds.

The Gold Wing of ATV s

View my Photos
Chief

2006-03-07          125667

The Rincon is a monster in size compared to other ATV's. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a version of the Rincon made into something similar to the Ranger XP. I have already found that the Foreman is too big to get down some of the forest trails so the Recon 250 definitely has its place in the stable. So far, the only thing I can mention is that the Foreman really needs a 6th gear for when you are drivig on dirt roads or going flat out and this is not a big deal as I think it probably goes fast enough to get hurt pretty bad at the speeds it can travel now. ;O) ....

The Gold Wing of ATV s

View my Photos
Blueman

2006-03-07          125668

Randy,
If my Foreman had enough torgue to spin a 6th gear, it would be scary...I've had mine up to about 50MPH in fifth gear on a short grassy field...that's fast enough on one of these machines!! ....

The Gold Wing of ATV s

View my Photos
Chief

2006-03-07          125669

Mark,

I almost forgot to ask you how much weight you lost. I need to work on some "stored reserve calorie" reduction myself.

Hey.......and how about the room for our size 14EE clod hoppers on those Honda floor boards ehh?!?! I will have to admit that I had to buy a XXL helmet for my watermelon head. :O) ....

The Gold Wing of ATV s

View my Photos
Chief

2006-03-07          125670

Wow! 50 mph is scary fast enough! You are right. I have the manual shift Foreman and don't have a speedometer. I have to drive on a short stretch of road to get to the field entrances on my property and I keep trying to shift into 6th gear which is not there. Maybe I am going faster than I realize. I have not rev'd the engine to more than very moderate rpm's as I am still in the break-in stage for these ATV's and getting accustomed to them. ....

The Gold Wing of ATV s

View my Photos
Blueman

2006-03-07          125672

Randy,
According to the speedo on my ES, 42-45MPH is easy to hit...I wish I had a tach to know how many RPM's...etc. I have about 50 hours on my machine...very happy, except the plastic gets scratched EASILY (I guess all ATV's do)...hard to keep as clean as my New Holland! And...don't feel bad about your melon...I had to get a XXXL helmet. And, if XXXXL were available...uh, never mind.
Sean ....

The Gold Wing of ATV s

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2006-03-07          125675

Randy (or anyone else who has one),
I would like to get a different ATV for running around the farm and woods. My Honda 185 three-wheeler is really a little tractor, but it's 24 years old and there are safety issues. How is the Recon 250 sized for an adult male? I would rather have a smaller engine like the 250 and thus less weight. A bit smaller is better for me, as long as it's not too small.
David ....

The Gold Wing of ATV s

View my Photos
Chief

2006-03-07          125677

The Recon is somewhere between 1/3 to 1/4 the size of the Foreman. I have ridden it with no issues so far. It even accomodates big feet on the floor boards but my Recon 250 is the electric shift model. I am not sure how the manual shift model would be with big feet. I don't think it would be a problem though. It still has plenty of power and get up and go. There is noticably less ground clearance due to the smaller tires which may or may not be an issue. I think it would be a great choice for a low cost ATV for the applications you state. Those are the exact reasons we purchased it along with the Foreman. ....

The Gold Wing of ATV s

View my Photos
Blueman

2006-03-07          125679

David,
I guess it depends on your use and the weight you will be putting on the machine. I'm one of these guys that always wants to have power in reserve. I can tell you that I used to have an ATC90 3 wheeler LONG AGO. My dad rode it, and it did what he wanted it to. I have 30% grade hills, and rarely have a need for my 4WD on my Foreman. It handles much better at low speeds in 2WD. But, I like to know I have it, and have been in muddy situations that I would not have climbed without it. I weigh about 250, and rode a Honda 350 Rancher all over a volcano in Hawaii. It had plenty of power, if that was all I was going to do. However, I pull a small trailer, with firewood, gravel, etc., it might get up to about 800-1000#, and my Foreman never hesitates. The new quads are much more stable than the old 3 wheelers, but can still flip if you are not careful. Good Luck! ....

The Gold Wing of ATV s

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-03-07          125712

Losing weight..... well there are a lot of things going on at once. I just can't treat my body the way I have in the past 30 years and have had to make some hard choices. I have been courting problems with my digestion, blood pressure, blood sugar and joints.

So I have been eating a lot less and pushing the plate away sooner, especially at dinner.

Then there is being sick with a weird liver thing for the last six months... but I wouldn't recommend that way. BTW, not to worry, I am on the mend now.

Anyway all-in-all 30 pounds has disappeared and the amazing thing is I can see were another 30 must come off.

Bottom line: I want to keep on living and enjoying my life and my wonderful wife as long as I can so making some radical decisions is pretty easy at this point.

The Gold Wing of ATV s

View my Photos
Chief

2006-03-07          125732

Good for you Mark. I should be following your example. ....

The Gold Wing of ATV s

View my Photos
Murf

2006-03-08          125755

Glad to hear you heard the wake-up call before it so loud as it did with me Mark.

Randy, take heed ole buddy, we're not 19 year old grunts or jarheads anymore... your wife & kids will thank you for it.

I am constantly amused when people I know lose a few pounds and get in shape, all of a sudden their like "Wow I can see my toes again, and I took the dog for a 2 hour walk the other day and I wasn't even winded!".

Best of luck. ....

The Gold Wing of ATV s

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-03-08          125758

It has other rewards..... sleeping all night and not waking up the entire house sounding like an out-of-tune chain saw comes to mind. ....

The Gold Wing of ATV s

View my Photos
Chief

2006-03-08          125760

Mark, I have been a extreme snorer for years. Even when I was at my fittest and trim as a young man. Have you had a sleep study done? I strongly recommend it. My problem got really bad after I returned from Desert Storm and I would stop breathing altogether while sleeping. The violent and sobbering results of choking in my sleep scared my wife and I to death. I got a sleep study and the Army issued me a CPAP machine which made a HUGE difference in my quality of life and sleep. Waking up with pounding headaches was tremendously improved and I awoke feeling much more rested. If you haven't, you may want to look into this. Sleep apnea can cause high blood pressure, heart problems, and many other symptoms. ....

The Gold Wing of ATV s

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-03-08          125773

Yup... they threatened me with a CPAP too. Like you, I was a snorer even when I only weighed a hundred kilos.

I decided to try other methods first and finally discovered saline spray. It is amazing how well such a simple thing like that can be so effective.

Of course the weight loss helps a lot too.

When I look around I see very, very, few 60 year old fat guys. That says a lot right there. We gotta be flexible and change with the times. ....

The Gold Wing of ATV s

View my Photos
jmanner

2006-05-14          129341

From several rumors, I would put money on a Honda side-by-side at September's show. In fact I WILL put money down soon to be one of the first to own one. It will have either a Rincon or Rubicon drive train, and the Rubicon versitility is desired. However, give me all independent suspension! Don't like belt drive systems! ....

The Gold Wing of ATV s

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2006-05-23          129751

Shortmagnum
I have had a 250 recon manual for about 4 years. Just bought a 400 sportsman but kept the recon. The ride is tough on the recon (especially after riding a full suspention like the sportsman.) When the kid and I go out on the wheelers, I still take the recon. Its so small I can tell it exactly what I want it to do. Its just about floats over the muddy water holes on the trails. Cant remember ever getting stuck (although I am not stupid either, I know its limitations) All in all its a great little ride. My friends mostly laughed at me at first. I had no payments ever, and they still were making em after 3 years LOL. For light work around the farm and for reliable transportation I think its a great choice. Only real draw back besides the suspension is the ground clearance in snow. Light fluffy stuff is no problem but as soon as it gets heavy or a rust on it you will be stuck in 6 inches.
I love the recon , it was the right choice for me at that time, it does not owe me a thing! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login