Go Bottom Go Bottom

Mark Did You Sell your Kubota RTV Yet

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-09-12          116265

I was wondering if you sold your RTV yet? Have you decided if and what you want to replace it with? I haven't seen much posting traffic on Ridebyside lately. I see that Polaris has added the 6 x 6 to the Ranger XP line. I am still looking but want to take my time and be sure I have taken the time to do some reading up, learning about, and talking to owners before I buy.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-09-12          116274

Yup. It's gone.

I replaced it with an 87 Samurai. I am looking at a couple of mods to it that will make it a more capable off-roader, mostly some lower transfer case gears. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-09-12          116275

How is the Samurai performing and working out as compared to the RTV? ....

View my Photos
RollTideRam
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-02-13          124458

Tell us more about your Samurai. I'm just learning about CUT's but been a Samurai lover for years. JC ....

View my Photos
monkeyman

2006-02-13          124464

why did you get rid of your RTV? ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-02-14          124472

Monkeyman... we have talked at some length on the topic, but in case you don't remember....

I had two major complaints with the RTV: lack of power and the screwy reverse gear.

I live a mile above sea level and the already marginal power was even more lacking up here. IMHO, it needs the same size engine with a turbo or a normally aspirated 30 horse engine.

I was only getting about 16 HP out of the engine on hot days and I know that HST was soaking up half of that.

So I got stuck a lot. I got stuck where I should not have gotten stuck with a 4wd.

Then I figured out that the reverse gearing/pressure circuit in the HST was rigged so that it would not spin the wheels...... so when I got stuck I couldn't even get myself out because the dang wheels wouldn't even turn in reverse if they were buried as little as 3 inches in sand or snow(with chains).

It is a wonderful hard surface work machine, maybe none better, but it is by no stretch of the imagination designed for off-road use.

As to the Suzuki.... I have done nothing major to it. It had very lackluster engine response when I got it. I wasn't sure it had the guts to go off-road. I finally figured out that it had sat unused for years and had sludged up the innards of the engine and carb.

So I took the dino-oil out and replaced it with Rotella synthetic and started adding Techron to the gas and it perked right up. It took a couple of months, but it runs more like what I would expect now.

I have not done anything to alter the drive train at this point and may not. With the addition of the Honda Rincon to the household the Suzuki has fallen into the category of an extra car. This is not a bad thing around here considering the stupid pack rats can disable a car overnight.

That's my story and I am sticking to it......

View my Photos
monkeyman

2006-02-14          124488

thanky i havent been on in awhile and have you checked out the bobcat tool cat now thats a machine...i believe it will out perform anything but i will not spend $35,000...well thanky again ....

View my Photos
RollTideRam

2006-02-14          124498

My next one will stay mostly stock and roadworthy. Maybe some 237/75 mud tires and a rear locker. JC ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login