Go Bottom Go Bottom

Massey Ferguson 50 How to change Gear Fork

View my Photos
rrocky
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-11-18          157988

Hellow,I need to change my 2nd and 3rd gear shift fork. Can I do this without splitting the tractor? Possibly by removing the cover under the seat. Thanks all!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-11-19          157995

Rrocky,

I'm not sure about your particular transmission, but in most cases the forks can be replaced without splitting the tractor.

The shift rails and forks should be completely contained within the top cover housing assembly. When you remove the top cover, the forks (or what's left of them) should come out with it.

It will be quite a job to find and remove the loose or broken fork parts, without first draining and flushing the transmission housing.

Joel ....

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-11-19          157997

Rrocky,

I found a generic picture of a the inner workings of a manual transmission. This one happens to be used in Chevy trucks, but most manual transmissions are generally built using the same principles.

Please note that parts 87-121 are all contained in the upper cover assembly. The entire top right assembly comes out in one piece. The forks can then be removed from the cover assembly on the workbench, and then be re-attached to the transmission. The forks simply slip over the shift collars on the main shaft during re-assembly.

I doubt that your transmission is much different than this one, other than the fact that you don't have the externally mounted 5th gear assembly.

See the link below for a general understanding of the inner workings of a manual transmission.

Joel

Link:   NV4500 Manual Transmission Exploded View

View my Photos
shona13
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2013-06-18          187379

Hi.
The transmission has to be removed to replace selector forks.
Hutch. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login