Go Bottom Go Bottom

Three point hitch problems

View my Photos
mtnfever
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-08-01          92471

I have an Allis 6140 4WD the three point will not lower. The thing lowers when shut off but as soon as you start the tractor it will raise and levers won't lower it.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-08-01          92475

On most tractors there is a 3 pt. hitch "drop rate valve" adjustment or knob below the seat area. Have you checked to see it this valve or knob is turned in too far? Try adjusting it out of experiment with it to see if you can remedy the problem. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2004-08-02          92484

If it's a mechanical position-control 3ph the linkage may be bent or so far out of adjustment that the hitch stays in lift mode. That would be likely if the 3ph fully raises as soon as the tractor starts and there's a relief valve sound when the 3ph stops raising. In that case it might leak down fairly slowly when the tractor is off. If it lifts only when the 3ph liver is moved the poppet valve may be stuck. The thinking would be a bit different if it has draft-control or another type hitch. ....

View my Photos
mtnfever

2004-08-02          92549

Yes it has a drop rate valve below the seat and i can't turn it by hand have to use pliars to turn but didn't turn it too much for fear of messing things up or should i say making things worse than they already are. and it also has draft control both levers move very easy. raises up but not down.

View my Photos
TomG

2004-08-03          92558

You probably know better than I that most 3ph's in draft control mode are either fully up or fully down unless an implement is working.

If the hitch lowers at normal speed the flow control valve probably isn't the problem although it should turn without need of a pliers. Maybe there's a packing nut that's overly tight.

It might be a linkage adjustment problem. There are cams and pins in draft control linkages that become worn, and usually there's a way to adjust the lowering spool. Testing and adjustment procedures are given in my repair manual, but adjustment procedures for neither position or draft control adjustments are mentioned in the owner's manual. You do need a manual but part of the linkage probably can be disconnected so the lowering spool could be operated manually to see if an adjustment is likely to cure the problem. ....

View my Photos
patrick

2004-08-14          93540

my 3 point hitch will not raise could filter be dirty
i am not sure if i have the right hydrolic fluid
the fluidfor my tractor is milky
at first the hitch took a little while to raise and now it will not raise at all ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-08-14          93541

Milky fluid means water got in it. You should change fluid and filter ASAP. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login