Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kubota s RTV

View my Photos
muletrain
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-04-07          82379

Before anyone purchases a new farm vehicle (mule, RTV) take a seroius look at the new Kubota product "RTV" I recently bought one after going through two Kawasaki mules and love it. Mine has a diesel engine, 4WD, locking differential, hydraulic bed, temp and fuel gauges. Its much faster (has high, medium and low gears) that the Mule and time will tell, but it looks tougher. $9,999.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Kubota s RTV

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-07          82380

Muletrain.... which tires did you get? Sounds like the worksite model with the heavy duty 6 ply's ????.

I have been doing tire experiments...... ....

Kubota s RTV

View my Photos
muletrain

2004-04-07          82381

yes, the 6 ply HDWS. I discussed changing them to the knobby general purpose tire since its tread seem more like a tractor tread; but dealer suggested otherwise. I really like the smooth ride high tailing it from house (it's stored in my garage snuggled with my wife's Lexus 470)to the barn. ....

Kubota s RTV

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-08          82525

Muletrain you have good tastes! ....

Kubota s RTV

View my Photos
oneace

2004-04-08          82533

all i've got to say is the rtv is an awsome unit you cant beat it. ....

Kubota s RTV

View my Photos
limpincoyote

2004-06-27          89431

The Kubota looks good, hope it holds up well for you. I looked at the Mules and Gators but went with the Polaris Ranger 6x6 a couple of years ago. Great machine! I have 75 acres, 30 of which flood every time it rains. There hasn't been one place where the Ranger won't go. I've pulled 4x4s out of the mud with it, and pulled a Chevy pickup out last week. ....

Kubota s RTV

View my Photos
danputtputt

2004-08-02          92529

Would you give update on the kubota rtv? Likes/dislikes. Dealers in this area have very limited supply, no discounts off list price, and predict 1 year wait on dump lift hydrolic unit. We want worksite model but none seem available in this area. Not sure if we should just get GP unit and add wanted features later, or venture further outside area to get what we want. Would like to buy from same dealer as I bought B2710 from. "better half" fell in love with one after test drive over weekend, so time is of importance. Thanks a bunch. ....

Kubota s RTV

View my Photos
beagle

2004-08-02          92542

Test drove a RTV with the wife a couple weeks ago at a dealership in northern Michigan. We both loved the machine, but are having a bit of trouble with the price. But when you compare what it is to other utility vehicles, the price could be justified. What a nice machine.

The dealership we were at had a good supply of RTV's, but they were moving them pretty fast. I would bet they are gone by deer season. ....

Kubota s RTV

View my Photos
oneace

2004-08-02          92543

pound for pound and dollar for dollar they are the best you can get. ....

Kubota s RTV

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-08-03          92570

The local Yamaha dealer dragged me out on their new model. It had a nice suspension but it still had an air cooled one cylinder (sounded like) with rubber band drive transmission. He was looking at almost $8K for it. I think I would rather come up with another 2K for the Kubota.
Dave ....

Kubota s RTV

View my Photos
muletrain

2004-08-03          92576

I have had my RTV since May. It came with hydro dump I added metal roof glass windsheild, and back work light last week. I have owened 2 mules, and think this unit is superb! If you have the money it is worth the money. My only caution is getting used to the hydraulically controlled transmission. It's starts and especially it's stops can be irritatingly abrupt. It is a solid, well performing vehicle. ....

Kubota s RTV

View my Photos
Murf

2004-08-03          92577

My wife wanted one too, the dealer brought one out (his personal one) for an extended trial.

It was an outstanding machine, no doubt about it. However I was kind of floored when she decided (it was her call) NOT to get one. She thought, a) there was not enough 'tough ground' to warrant the drivetrain, b) it was more tool than she needed for routine maintenance and c) it was too noisy for her!!

Instead she opted for an electric utility (golf) cart. She wants to use it for touring around to the neighbours and running around at the cottage, in both cases silence is golden.

Then the other shoe dropped, she does however want a new vehicle, she wants an SUV instead of a car before this winter hits. Oh well, life goes on.

Best of luck. ....

Kubota s RTV

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-08-03          92579

I have 35 hours on mine now. I didn't test drive anything else so I can't compare. I wish it had a little more power, but I also believe the above post that it will out run the competition.

Maybe I should also say that it isn't broken in yet(far from it) and I run it between 5000 and 7500 feet of elevation in HOT weather. That will take the soup out of anything.

It rides nearly as well as my wifes Camry and burns 1/2 gallon of fuel an hour.

Getting the GP and retrofitting it later with the dump is a hard call. It will certainly be a lot more expensive. I think the Workplace model is only about $600 more than the GP. The dump system is $1500 alone plus install.

In case you haven't seen one, it comes with its own separate hydraulic fluid tank and is completely separate from the engine hydro system.

Is the dump a good feature? Yup. See if your wife can lift the bed on a GP to check the oil. It is a chore.

I have added the metal top, the windshield, a TinyTach and I fabricated a rear window. When I get to the 50 hour maintenance I am going to add a speedometer. On the wish list is a winch and a glove box.

I am playing with different tires. Right now the buggy has a set of radial snow tires on it. The performance on dirt roads has increased remarkably.

If you have questions, fire away. ....

Kubota s RTV

View my Photos
oneace

2004-08-03          92592

I know that the start and stop on the rtv can be adjusted to ease it out a bit if you think it is too abrupt. I know some wonder why they even put a brake pedel on the thing.

Kubota s RTV

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-08-03          92599

The only thing I use the brake pedal for is to hold the thing still while I change gears.

The HST will bring it to a stop on slopes too steep to stand on. ....

Kubota s RTV

View my Photos
muletrain

2004-08-03          92610

The sudden stops remind me of a mule I had once... anyway I was not too bothered until I got my windshield installed recently. Now my forehead is in danger. I guess that's why it comes with seat belts. Maybe next year it'll come with a driver's side air bag! ....

Kubota s RTV

View my Photos
bczoom

2004-08-23          94205

oneace,

Just ran into this forum.
Would you know how to adjust the RTV's tranny so it doesn't stop so abruptly?
I have the worksite and I'm very happy with it. Having a hard time getting accessories so I've made my own. (windshield, cargo box, lighting, overhead console...). ....

Kubota s RTV

View my Photos
oneace

2004-08-23          94210

there is a link from the throttle to the hydro-stat that makes them work at the same time. If you loosen or tighten that link a little bit it will put more cushion it the stopping system. But with that you will lose a little off the line torque. ....

Kubota s RTV

View my Photos
bczoom

2004-08-24          94297

oneace.
Thanks for the info. Have you tried it yourself?
Can you tell me where this link is? I don't have the machine nearby right now to take a look.
Thanks

Kubota s RTV

View my Photos
oneace

2004-08-24          94338

I have done it before but not for a few months when they first came out. If I remember right it is just a cable that kind of looks lick a throttle cable and it has a threaded section in the middle and what you are doing is either taking slack out or add some to it by turning the threaded barrel. Lift the bed up and work the foot throttle and look back and see what is moving and it is pretty obvious what I am talking about. ....

Kubota s RTV

View my Photos
Mike H

2004-08-29          94893

My wife and I recently purchased our RTV worksite with the cab and snowplow. The cab and the plow haven't even showed up yet due to backorder. We've already put 45 hrs on it and are enjoying every minute of it. We use it for recreational use, and yardwork. The only thing that I'm dissapointed in is that it doesn't seem to go very well in dry sand. It seem the little three cylinder is underpowered for the hydrostatic transmission. Has anybody done anything with their engines, to maybe get a little more horsepower? Maybe a turbo or injectors? ....

Kubota s RTV

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-08-29          94896

I wish mine had more power too. I am hoping after it breaks in it will run a little stronger.

The problem in sand is mostly the tires. All of the tire options, except the turf tire, are designed to operate in mud. As with tractors, what is ideal for mud is terrible on soft sand.

After several comparative tests on the same stretch of ground, I replaced the HDWP tires on my RTV with some small car radial tires.

It doesn't make a tracked vehicle out of it, but it will go twice as far up my sand dune test slope before digging in and stopping. ....

Kubota s RTV

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-12-12          102119

Something I posted on an ATV web site:

The good news: My RTV now powers itself up steep roads like I always hoped it would and thought it should.

The caveat: I don't know (can't tell) which of the four things I changed helped the most.

The changes:

1) The premium Case/IH hydraulic fluid installed by the selling dealer has been replaced with Super UDT. Observation: standing starts are quicker and the transmission seems less sluggish. I found the same to be true when I had my BX, but in that case I replaced the Super UDT with Chevron All Weather Synthetic and that noticeably slowed things down.

2) I took the break-in dino-juice out of the engine and put in a quality 10w-30 diesel rated synthetic. Observation: With no other changes, the engine idle RPM (as measured by my digital TinyTach) jumped about 7 percent, from 1400 to 1500. You gotta know that the engine is making more power when that happens.

3) I changed the tires to a 24 inch diameter. My tests have indicated that 21.5 inch tires (factory turfs) are too small and 25.5 inches (borrowed from my wifes Camry) were a bit too big. 24 inches is also the actual size of the nearly useless factory HDWP tires and that diameter seems to provide a good balance between decent top end speed and good low end grunt. Plus, the speedometer is apparently calibrated to that tire size.

4) The tires are mud and snow steel belted radials. I mostly operate on rough roads and established trails. Deep mud is rare around here, so slogging through the bogs is not a worry. I keep just enough air in the tires to get a good bulge on the sidewall so they are laying down the maximum amount of tread "flat on the ground" and providing the least amount of rolling resistance possible.

All-in-all, on the hill behind the house that I could only climb in second gear before, I can now negotiate in high gear at greater speed and higher RPM. Coming up my steep driveway before the changes would result in the RPM's dropping to 2300 in high gear. I noticed yesterday that the tach stayed at 3000 RPM's on the same road.

I think I found the balance ....

Kubota s RTV

View my Photos
Art White

2004-12-12          102123

I wonder over the results. The Hytran is a little thicker oil like a 10 weight to a 5 then the Super UDT so it should bring the tightness up a little and might hurt with a little more starvation during cold starts. The engine oil was probably good on two fronts, used oil hurts performance and newer slipperier synthetic has to help. The tires, now that is a good one as you should have been able to produce the most torque and throttle response with the smaller diameter tire. I wonder if we are really starting to break in that engine? If your happy I'm happy! ....

Kubota s RTV

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-12-13          102162

"My tests have indicated that 21.5 inch tires (factory turfs) are too small and 25.5 inches (borrowed from my wifes Camry) were a bit too big."

Mark, I had to laugh when I read this. I could just imagine your wife's car up on blocks while you tested her tires on the ATV. How did you do this? Are the wheel bolt patterns the same?
Dave ....

Kubota s RTV

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-12-13          102165

Yes, she looked so sad sitting in car going "vrroom... vrroom".

OK. I'll be cereal now. They were a set of orphaned Nokian snow tires. The bolt pattern is the same but I put the tires on white spoke wheels.

Actually I suspect the bolt pattern is slightly different. The guys at the tire store tell me there is a 5 hole on 4.5 inch pattern and another pattern that is 5 holes and metric. The difference amounts to about 1/32 of an inch.

I am pretty sure the 'Bota is the metric version, but at a max speed of 25 mph, if there is a slight misalignment, I can't feel it.

Art: I would be willing to bet the babies milk money that a BX or an RTV on a dyno would show a measurable drop in HP at the wheels with HyTran instead of Super UDT in the sump. ....

Kubota s RTV

View my Photos
Archdean

2004-12-13          102189

"I would be willing to bet the babies milk money"

Damn, age is a hell of a thing to cope with!!

I just learned that: Babies need milk money!!

How things have changed!
What's next? A token in hand just to be conceived!!

Kubota s RTV

View my Photos
Archdean

2004-12-13          102193

Okay okay a bit lame I suppose but seriously am going to buy another Orange toy Any good advice on the RTV900 that hasn't already been discussed here would be appreciated!!
Thanks,
Dean ....

Kubota s RTV

View my Photos
Art White

2004-12-13          102194

DRankin, with rereading your first thread I pulled a whole new meaning out of what was said sorry, but that is what I expected. We also sell hytran and it has proven to be great in the farm tractors comparable to the 20 and 30 weight (equals)so reprsented but from an ex-IH serviceman he told me to stay with the Kubota UDT for success. I will only consider the Hytran for emergency situations. I would agree with you on the horsepower loss at any end as well as to the wheels especially. ....

Kubota s RTV

View my Photos
Art White

2004-12-13          102196

The worksaver is the number one bargin as well as seller! It really gives you all the important things except the cab if you felt you needed it. Bed liners are good if you plan on hauling much that you want to fall out of the box ans the diamond plate floor is more condusive to holding loads in place. ....

Kubota s RTV

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-12-13          102198

Dean, Cruise over to ridesidebyside dot com. There is some good feedback there. ....

Link:   

Click Here

Kubota s RTV

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-12-13          102199

Art: sorry if I confused you. Sometimes I read too fast and miss something too.

I have come to the conclusion that Kubota designs their HST's to work best with Super UDT. I have read the spec sheets and it is quite different from other hydraulic fluids on the market.

Kubota s RTV

View my Photos
Archdean

2004-12-13          102201

Thanks, Mark! ....

Kubota s RTV

View my Photos
Art White

2004-12-14          102232

You will find that there designs are different then the other manufacturers use as well as the oil. The RTV uses a double pump system that super charges the system so to speak to beable to have the road speed it does as the basic rear is from the 27-2910. ....

Kubota s RTV

View my Photos
Archdean

2004-12-16          102371

Update! Decision made on RTV900 Worksite!
Drove all versions 2 days ago! Yes some come to an abrupt halt and some are more gentel in that regard!
Dealer will build mine tomorrow:

RTV900 Worksite:
1. Metal top
2. Speedeometer
3. Glove box
4. Bedliner

Any suggestions for last minute addons? ....

Kubota s RTV

View my Photos
Art White

2004-12-16          102375

Think my perfect cart came just under 20,000 retail. ....

Kubota s RTV

View my Photos
Archdean

2004-12-16          102377

Art,
That was less than fair, just what was your perfect cart?

What am I missing here???

Kubota s RTV

View my Photos
bczoom

2004-12-16          102384

Archdean,

Congrats on your selection.
Front mud flaps?
For the "abrupt stop" issue, which did you prefer?
Most every RTV owner I've run into prefers the abrupt stop version. At least you can do some feathering with the pedal to control it. The "more gentle" version still seems to have an "abrupt point" but I found it very difficult to control it.

You'll find all kinds of add-ons. Most are probably best to get aftermarket (winch comes to mind). Check out hunterworks.com. He's making a lot of stuff for the RTV (some are done, others in progress).

Brian ....

Kubota s RTV

View my Photos
Archdean

2004-12-16          102387

Abrupt Stop:

All 4 machines I drove had a slightly different stop rate, which proves to me they are adjustable to some degree of preference!! And all 4 were assembled (setup) by the same fellow, will report later how, what and why!!
Personally I prefer not to lurch forward as in right now!!!As in an Iguana's tongue catching an insect!!

An other interesting note is the speedometer works in reverse as if that matters!! ....

Kubota s RTV

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-12-16          102391

How about a windsheild. You might want one.

I got one for two reasons: It gets downright chilly at 25 mph in the winter and, one of these days some idiot in plastic pajamas on a dirt bike is going to meet me on the top of a rise at about 60 mph.

I figure it would be nice to have a little something between us.... ....

Kubota s RTV

View my Photos
Archdean

2004-12-16          102396

"How about a windsheild. You might want one."
Mark,
Considered and rejected, reason being for 500+or-$ and since I wont be towing it a cut piece of plexi will do for me in the winter and in the summers here in Okie land the breeze feels welcome!!

Might change my mind later after some seat time but at the moment I'll try it first but thanks for the thought, no doubt about it if I was going up and down Skyline in ER you bet your bippie it would have a windshield!!

Kubota s RTV

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-12-17          102417

In Eagle River I'd have the full cab, the heater, Carhartts, someone warm to huddle against and a campfire going in the dump bed.

Glad I am here. ....

Kubota s RTV

View my Photos
Chief

2005-08-07          114480

Can the RTV 900 owners please give their latest reviews of their machines. It would be very helpful as well as interesting to get a first hand owner review from owners who have had their machines for considerable length of time. Weak areas? Strong points? Mods. and other things you would do differently? Would you buy the RTV900 again given a second chance? I am seriously looking at them. Folks in my area say they are VERY solidly build but are very poor on steep terrain and get stuck in wet ground. The most popular side by side ATV in this area seems to be the Polaris Ranger XP. I like the idea of a diesel and the features the RTV900 has but would like to get some first hand reviews as to how these machines perform in the woods and muddy terrain. ....

Kubota s RTV

View my Photos
Archdean

2005-08-07          114483

I noticed that my last post was 8 months ago and I would definitely buy another one!!
Driven with a light foot on the hydro stat control giving the hydro time to engage the second assist pump I have found no place that can stop it,also by feathering your foot pressure there by reducing the pressure on the valve it will decelerate to a very smooth stop just like an auto xmsn! (your mileage may vary!!

First mod was adding the windshield , radio, and xm radio,front and rear ball hitches, winch and heavy shocks (front) are waiting their turn to be installed!!

Bed liner is a must and I added a second piece of truck bed rubber mat over that!! Made for a very quiet RTV!

I was disappointed with the harmonic rattle at low engine RPM and solved that problem too and have put in a fix to Kubota for review!! Awaiting their answer but no more rattling!!

We use it every day and I'm sure you will also!!

Highly recommend the RTV900WS and also recommend you test drive one with the above procedures!!

Kubota s RTV

View my Photos
bczoom

2005-08-08          114493

I've had my RTV for about 16 months now and would definitely get another.

Like Archdean, I put a windshield, stereo... on it. For the cargo box, I made my own out of pressure treated wood. I use the RTV for firewood and didn't want to beat up the steel box throwing chunks in the box.

For steep terrain, you do need to let off the "gas pedal". Like Dean mentioned, this will kick in a secondary pump which provides more power (but reduces speed). When I first got the RTV, I was mashing the pedal to the floor and could barely climb hills in low range with only myself in the machine. I learned to let off the pedal and I can now climb in a higher range or still in low with several hundred pounds of wood in the box.

Tire selection is key for muddy conditions. The OEM HDWS tires DON'T LIKE MUD!!! I put Maxxis Bighorn's on it and I can go through most anything.

Brian ....

Kubota s RTV

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-08-08          114500

I might look at another one someday, but it would have to have 30 HP and different reverse gearing. The RTV is really not designed as an off-road unit.

The Kawasaki Mule may be the better buy in a diesel side-by-side.

Kubota s RTV

View my Photos
magnum1990

2005-08-08          114512

I have owned the 900 RTV since 2/2005. I got the cammo model with all the bells and whistles. I test drove all of the competitors models. What sold me on the Kubota was the non belt drive tranny. I am clearing trees, hauling HEAVY loads up STEEP hills. It is really nice to be able to stop by merely letting your foot off tha accellerator. I have hauled 25' long trees 8-10'' in diameter up a 45-50 degree incline with rocky soil without any problems. Have been stuck once. That was on the same hill, I had stopped with one of my back tires on a flush-cut rotted stump and a large rock in front of my front tire. I winched out. My chief complaint is the shifter. If I have a heavy load, uphill, I need to start the hill in the gear that I will finish the hill. Shifting on a hill, underload is not possible. I have tried all of the fixes offered up on this as well as other websites to no avail. The shifter mechanism is stiff and difficult to change underload. Kubota NEEDS to come up with a fix for this problem. Otherwise, I am very happy with the RTV. ....

Kubota s RTV

View my Photos
muletrain

2005-08-08          114529

Since I bought my RTV in April of 2004,it has performed without fatigue on my ranch. The windshield is still solid, the engine powerful, and lift bed never gives up. The tires have been a small problem, and replacements were only found through Kubota at $78. While I would buy another, this one will last for many years to come. ....

Kubota s RTV

View my Photos
jadditur

2005-11-02          118776

i think the rtv 900 needs improvement in its muffler. it is way too noisy. mufflers are tricky with diesel mtrs i understand. is there an aftermarket muffler that works with a diesel? i have to wear earcups to comfortable drive my machine. ....

Kubota s RTV

View my Photos
muletrain

2005-11-02          118798

I agree with the level of engine noise being excessive. I enjoy listening to books on tape while doing chores and must crank the volume to max when operating the Kubota RTV. I have had my RTV since 4/04 and am very pleased with its performance and reliability. ....

Kubota s RTV

View my Photos
Art White

2006-11-02          136500

For those of you with one that might like a little more pazzaz to the machine try ordering a V4241 hand throttle kit which sells for $62.00. After the installation just pull it up to about 1/3 to 1/2 throttle and it put's you in the torque band for better pulling. This might help for feelings of lack of power. ....

Kubota s RTV

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-11-02          136505

Art.... I read where you have a dyno at the shop.

Have you ever put an RTV on the dyno? ....

Kubota s RTV

View my Photos
oneace

2006-11-02          136506

That would most likely be a PTO dyno not a chassis dyno. ....

Kubota s RTV

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-11-02          136529

Oh well.

It would be real interesting to know how much HP actually gets to the wheels...... ....

Kubota s RTV

View my Photos
Art White

2006-11-02          136536

It is a pto dyno, not a chassis dyno. E-mail me for more info, to raise the base rpm to 1/3 to 1/2 will bring the hydro to a stronger point of pull vs the idle to start from. ....

Kubota s RTV

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-11-02          136549

Art, I sold the RTV last year. It went to live on a nice flat piece of farmland. Just where it belonged.

I got a serious 4 wheeler in it's place. ....

Kubota s RTV

View my Photos
Art White

2006-11-03          136551

From the good old days when working with options if I'm not mistaken most veichles loose about 25% between the engine gross and the wheels at net. To be able to set the throttle up to higher rpm to start makes them a lot more aggressive. Your altitude causes horsepower loss no matter what type of engine! Your lungs must be strong to! The options with the new RTV with the full deluxe cab does come with a larger engine but much of that would be used up by the air conditioning. The basic transmission is built from the 2910 so it means a larger engine could be installed with little trouble(I think) compared to some swaps. I think Kubota will stay low on the horsepower to keep its uses as a work machine more then a play toy. I know we've seen the damage from some mysterious things that nobody seems to know about(mom & dad away) but we haven't been able to get one in to play with. I'd like to swap the engine out for a larger one if given the oppurtunity to. ....

Kubota s RTV

View my Photos
shinefeak

2006-11-03          136560

Hi Art,
Have you had a chance to see a RTV1100. Any impressions you could share with us?

Len. ....

Kubota s RTV

View my Photos
Art White

2006-11-05          136621

The biggest improvement from my stand point is the circulation of air for winter heat is going to make it one comfortable ride! The air will make it nice although the cloth seat, nice touch but not towards industrial duty. The added horsepower from the larger engine will be used up with the additional weight and options. They have taken the work pick-up truck to SUV with a box for the new model. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login