Go Bottom Go Bottom

Question

View my Photos
Horseyfolks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-08-29          94906

I am considering buying a Yanmar 2000 2wd with a loader and a cutter. This is a "reconditioned" tractor that I found through E-Bay. The tractor is located in Texas. I know very little about Yanmar tractors and have been told they are not very dependable and parts are very hard to find. This info came from a dealer of another well known brand of tractor so he may be a bit biased (wink). I can buy this tractor for under $7000. Any advice is welcome...

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Question

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-08-29          94909

Yanmar makes a fine tractor, but the one you are looking at may be a grey market tractor which brings a whole bunch of issues up. More importantly, you don't want a 2WD tractor with a loader. When the loader bucket is full the rear tires will tend to lift off the ground and you won't get much traction. Also, if you can't look and touch I would never buy a tractor off eBay. There have been many tractor scams there and you'd be better off buying locally. All my opinion, of course. ....

Question

View my Photos
Horseyfolks

2004-08-29          94910

Please explain what a "grey market tractor" is... ....

Question

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-08-29          94911

This link explains it better than I can. ....

Link:   Grey market tractors

Question

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-08-29          94914

Lets talk about what you want to do with the tractor.

Maybe we can steer you toward something new that you can afford.

You definitely don't want a 2wd with a loader..... unless the loader is just front ballast. ....

Question

View my Photos
Horseyfolks

2004-08-29          94915

I have a small horse farm (10 acres). I will be using the tractor to mow, move round bales with the three point hitch, maintain an arena with a rotary harrow, do some box blading, and haul a flat bed trailer. The only use I have for the loader is moving shavings (sawdust) into the barn for cleaning stalls. The farm is level, dry, and grass over sand. This will be my first tractor and all advice is appreciated. ....

Question

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-08-29          94917

How big are the round bales you want to move? I think you'll find a lot of other uses for the FEL once you have one. ....

Question

View my Photos
Horseyfolks

2004-08-29          94918

To be honest, I don't know the exact weight of a round bale. I would say about 800 or 900 pounds. ....

Question

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-08-29          94919

I'm no round bale expert but did a little research. They generally weigh up to 1600 lbs, but when wet can weigh a lot more. Anyway, it seems the ability to carry those around is an important factor in what size machine you need. I'd guess something that could lift 2500 lbs. 24" behind the pins would be adequate. Plenty of front ballast would be required. Maybe somebody with round bale experience can chime in here. ....

Question

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-08-30          94936

I really think you're a long way from a bargan with the Yanmar on E-Bay. A compact tractor without 4 wheel drive is almost an orphan, they have a very limited resale market. If you're going to be handling big rounds with any kind of safety you really need a full size 50 to 60 Hp farm tractor. First find a dealer that has been in business in your local aeria for a long time, tell him or her your needs and I'm sure they can set you up with a decant used tractor with a loader and 3pt. for very little more if not a bit less than the Yanmar on E-Bay. Especially when buying used tractore allways try to buy locally form a dealer with a good reputation, they need your business, you will need service at some point down the road, it just works out lots better for you and the dealer both. I really enjoy my compacts, but they just aren't adequate for big ropunds, best of luck. Frank. ....

Question

View my Photos
Horseyfolks

2004-08-30          94970

Considering that I am brand new around here, I really appreciate the advice y'all are willing to share. Maybe I can get through this tractor thing without spending a million bucks in mistakes. I think I would be more comfortable with a large tractor but that brings up more of my problem: My acreage is not open. It is cross fenced into smaller paddocks with fenced lanes in between. A large tractor would, I believe, not have the manuverability to get the job done. Especially with a loader on the front. It would also be easier to get a small tractor into the barn to pull a spreader or a hay cart. This is why I thought we would be better off with a smaller tractor.

After talking to some folks locally and hearing y'all's opinion on the round bales it is obvious I should stick with square bales. I have a 40X60 pole barn to store them in and a small tractor with a loader will be a big help getting them up and down off the stack. I believe there will be less waste with the square bales also.

After reading your advice I will buy a 4WD tractor. I was only thinking about getting stuck in mud, which we don't deal with, and y'all made some good points (ie: trade in value, traction with a loaded bucket, etc.)I had not thought of.

My only concern now is the "grey market" thing. Are the tractors mechanically inferior to tractors made for sale here? I have found dealers in Fl, Georgia, and Alabama that claim to have parts and service for the tractors in question. I have seen warranties offered from 6 months to 1 year.

Thanks again for y'all's help. Right now it's still really confusing and I'll gladly take all the advice I can get! ....

Question

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-08-30          94973

I don't think there is any solid reason why a grey market tractor can't be a good one. Since they were used overseas and imported you will have no idea what the service history of the machine is, so it's a bit of a crap shoot. If it was well maintained then you would probably be happy. The issue is parts, service, and safety equipment. If the dealer has been around awhile and has a good reputation it might be a good risk. You sure don't want to be in the position of waiting a month for parts while your tractor is down though. Whatever you do, make sure you get a ROPS for it since a lot of grey market machines don't have them. ....

Question

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-08-30          94977

If you are new to tractors, I definitely would suggest purchasing something from a local dealer for after the sale service. If cost is an issue you may be able to find a good used tractor. Some good used John Deere, Ford/New Holland and Massey Ferguson tractors in utility style (low to the ground & smaller frame) full size tractors may be an option. These are usually in 2WD but are somewhat larger than a compact utility. You can get by with these using a loader if you have rear ballast. If you purchase a compact utility definitely go with 4WD.

I would shop all the dealers in your local area and see what they have to offer. Also talking with a salesman and service people will give you an idea about how helpful they can be. The cheapest price isn't always the best deal

Question

View my Photos
oneace

2004-08-31          95147

What is your price range and are you willing to finance? ....

Question

View my Photos
lsheaffer

2004-09-02          95353

A YM2000 is too small to move round bales. It is big enough to utilize a loader with extra weight on the rear. I use a 33hp 4wd Yanmar with loader to move round bales. When they weigh 1100-1200 lb the tractor front gets light. The size of your tractor is going to have to be determined by the size of round bale you are moving. Stay away from the "new, reconditioned". I get a lot of bad parts calls on them. Follow hardwood's advice about dealers. A reputable local dealer should be able to help you pick the right size tractor for your needs. He has to live by you. An Ebay seller doesn't have that incentive to make sure you buy the right tractor. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login