Go Bottom Go Bottom

Yanmar Vietnam recond

View my Photos
Shawnk
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-11-29          45530

Am trying to learn about all I can about these gray market yanmars. Am looking for a good compact to supplement my trusty Farmall H with bushhog duty on 28 acres- would use it around trees and in the wooded areas. Would probably use a box blade on it as well. Have come across a 1500 that LOOKS good on ebay. The thing is- the guy is calling it "factory reconditioned". I of course asked him about that and he said it was done at a factory in Vietnam and that he has a video detailing the process that he'd be happy to show me. He also said (after I asked) that the tractor is only showing 28.5 hours on the meter(!). Was wondering if anyone knows about these "factory rebuilds" and if the hour meter is replaced during this process or if it's possibly turned over (1000+ hours). Sorry about the drawn out message- any help appreciated. Thanks, Shawn

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Yanmar Vietnam recond

View my Photos
lsheaffer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-11-29          45531

The "factory reconditioned tractors" are bought in Japan as C & D grade tractors & repainted. Some may have some repairs done to them, but I hear of an awful lot of things that aren't repaired on them. I sell a lot of parts & have talked to both dealers & individuals that have these tractors. There seems to be alot of them with problems. Some dealers give a warranty & get a lot of returned tractors that they can take to an auction where someone else will buy them for more than they should be worth. I think your better off buying a quality tractor to start with. I have been selling A grade tractors for quite a while & sell very few parts for them. I've never been in an engine or transmission on my tractors & only have had to replace a couple fwd seals. ....

Yanmar Vietnam recond

View my Photos
DavesTractor

2002-11-29          45532

I sell Yanmar's as well and I agree with Leonard. Why buy something that has been worn out and rebuilt, in Vietnam no less. Buy a tractor from a dealer that brings in real nice low hour tractors that have never needed "reconditioning".

Think of it this way...would you rather buy a 10 year old one owner pickup that has always been garaged and has 40K miles on it, or one that was completely worn out and then rebuilt (ambiguous term)? Sure the 40K pickup might need a thorough service, but that is about all. The reconditioned pickup would only be better if it was totally rebuilt professionally, which would of course cost as much or more as buying a new truck.

Dave ....

Yanmar Vietnam recond

View my Photos
Shawnk

2002-11-30          45534

I appreciate the advice y'all- it kind of went with the gut feeling I had about that particular tractor. I've been in contact with 3 dealers tonight within 60 miles of me here in north Alabama- one of which is within $100.00 of the ebay guy and he has a strong reputation to boot. So I will probably go that route. It's been really interesting the last month or so trying to learn about these- I've seen lots of those little Yanmars around here and never gave them much thought but I'll tell you what - the more I've learned about them the more respect I've had. Since talking to that one dealer I've been thinking about going to a Ym1700 instead of the 1500($200.00 more) and maybe doing away with the trusty Farmall entirely. As I understand it the 1700 has about 18 pto horse and weighs about 1500 lbs. My Farmall might have 20 pto horse and weighs over 3000 lbs. If any of you out there have gone from an antique tractor to one of these Yanmars I'd like to hear your experiences with it- pulling power and time to get a job done with newer versus old. Thanks again.....Shawn ....

Yanmar Vietnam recond

View my Photos
TomG

2002-11-30          45536

Sounds like the idea is going in the same direction I'd take. I believe that the dealer is a big part of the value of a tractor so I'd want to stick close to dealer support.

I've heard stories that some manufacturers tell their dealers that they can't work on gray market tractors--even the same models sold in N.A. I guess if that's true it would be good to know about before purchase. Even with dealer support, problems might arise. Many manufacturers turn out slightly different tractors of the same model for different international areas. Some parts for a tractor originally sold outside N.A. may not exist in the N.A. parts system.

On the other hand, the tractors in question here may not be rebuilt high-hour ones. Other stories I hear but also unconfirmed are that tractors in Japan must be retired after short service by law. That policy produces a supply of low-hour tractors and several companies that refurbish them. I don't if that's the source of the tractors know mentioned here though.

Yanmar Vietnam recond

View my Photos
jdfan

2002-11-30          45559

I too looked at them, Yanmar is a great tractor, but I could not get past the high cost for units build in the early 80's. Why spend 7-10 on a 20 year old unit. You can get a new tractor for a little more with a warranty.

If these guys were selling under 5K, then maybe. But used JD 955 and 855 are around at 10-12K.

I just cannot see where the market is for these old units ....

Yanmar Vietnam recond

View my Photos
DavesTractor

2002-12-01          45569

JDfan, as a JD fan, you are well aware of the relationship between JD and Yanmar. Quality is the same, although features are different. Many of the mid-eighties (and I sell some early nineties as well) Yanmars are very similar in abilities and features as their USA counterparts, and often only have 500 or so hours. They are normally several thousand dollars less. It does make them a good value, although I can appreciate your opinion as well.

I was looking at a Yanmar FX28D today that we are getting prepared to sell. Without a loader it weighs a little over 3000lbs, and after we install a loader it will be about 3750lbs. It is a 4-cylinder diesel, about 33HP engine HP, 4x4, power-steering, 2 hydraulic pumps, a very cool power-shift with 3 ranges, plus 4 forward and two in reverse in each range, hydraulically operated (not mechanical) wet disk brakes, flat platform deck, rear hydraulic tilt with auto-level, and so on. This is a long way from a YM2000 2-cylinder 2wd. It compares well with anything sold today, despite the fact that it was built about 12 years ago.

The 855 and 955 are great tractors, and I like Kubota and NH as well, but as a used equipment dealer selling over a 100 used tractors a year, we simply could not get enough good used low hour Big 3 machines to meet our buyers demands. That in itself is a big factor. ....

Yanmar Vietnam recond

View my Photos
Shawnk

2002-12-01          45570

Daves Tractor, your last message got me curious about something and since it sounds like you sell tractors maybe you can answer a beginner's question(s). The unit you were describing sounded really neat and expensive and complex as.... I've been to the new tractor dealers to see the lastest and greatest and it leaves me confused. Obviously the compact models are near the top in sales in most brands which tells you people are using tractors for different things than they did back when my trusty Farmall was made. I'm assuming people are buying these things to clear and maintain small (30 or less acres) tracts. Which is exactly what I've been doing for 3 years with a stone age Farmall H. See to me a Yanmar Ym2000 would be a huge leap forward in technology and convenience. So I guess my question is: are the newest ones like you described worth the extra money and complexity over a Yanmar fron the mid70's to early80's? I'm talking about for seasonal bushhogging/ mowing and maybe using a box blade etc. I'm sure there must be benefits to 4wd and all the other gadgets or the factory wouldn't be trying to sell them to people. I just wonder how much it's worth to the average guy with 28 acres he's planning to put a house on. Thanks...Shawn ....

Yanmar Vietnam recond

View my Photos
DavesTractor

2002-12-01          45571

ShawnK,
I should clarify that a YM2000 (or similar) is a good sturdy workhorse of a tractor and the fact that I like the more modern ones does not denigrate that statement.

28 acres is plently of land. If the tractor budget allows, get a 4x4 and a FEL. You will not regret it.

If you don't try out a late model 4x4 3 or 4-cylinder compact, then you will probably be happy with the YM2000. Occasionally you will wish for more power or traction, or you will get tired of the noise and vibration of the 2-cylinder diesel, but if it is in good shape it will be reliable and miserly on fuel.

In my market in rural California, people want the convenience of the newer tractors, the quietness and smoothness that comes with more cylinders, the traction and safety of 4wd, the ease of use of the power-shift, etc. We also sell 90% of our tractors with loaders, thereby making 4wd even more important.

Items such as key shut off, automatic glowplugs, hydraulic brakes, etc are things us tractor guys come to love, but you can certainly live without them.

If you go with an older 2-cylinder, the YM2000 is a good one. Some of the smaller ones do not have water pumps which makes them a little easier to overheat. Good parts availability on the 2000 as well.

As for me, just my opinion, I'd go a little newer and get the power-shift, 4x4, full dash, crawl range, etc. Best of luck.

Dave ....

Yanmar Vietnam recond

View my Photos
larry

2002-12-01          45594

Dave
Is the FX28D a 12yr old model??
Sounds like a solid machine with not much trickery on it
How much do they sell for?
Thanks ....

Yanmar Vietnam recond

View my Photos
DavesTractor

2002-12-01          45604

The FX28D series was made starting in 1984 up until about 1990. Not sure on the end date of production. I've had a few 3-digit f-series (example FX215D) that were built in 1992 and 1993, so I expect the end of the run for the FX28D (2-digit f-series) was around 1990 or so.

Expect to pay around $9K for a nice low hour FX28D, plus the loader. Prices seem to vary as much as $1K in different parts of the country. They are a little pricey, but what a tractor! I have a FX42D in stock as well, just like the 28, but with nearly 50 engine HP and a turbo.

My email is posted in my profile if anyone is interested in actual details of specific tractors. I don't mind giving prices and info, but my goal on this board is to help others with whatever limited knowledge I have, and to learn for myself as well. I prefer to discuss any possible sales by private email, just to keep the flavor of the discussion less commercial.

Dave ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login