Go Bottom Go Bottom

question about yanmar 1610

View my Photos
Rick
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-09-26          32028

If you are using a finishing mower on the yanmar 1610 will the mower maintain speed even though you have stoped to turn?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Brent Pepper

2001-09-26          32039

On the grey market Yanmars like your 1610 when you press the clutch pedal in the PTO will stop spinning.

Brent ....

View my Photos
mjake52

2002-01-09          34387

On the 1610, with a powershift transmission you can put it in gear or into neutral without using the clutch, therefore the mower continues to run....... ....

View my Photos
yanny

2002-01-10          34391

Powershift transmisions allow you to shift between gears (N,1,2,3 & R) without using the clutch. This allows the PTO to continue to run at speed. However, you must use the clutct if you wish to change the range (the shifter to the right) from 1,2 or 3. This will stop the PTO. Once the gear range is selected for mowing, (I use range 2) you never have to use the clutch again until you are done mowing. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-01-10          34394

That sounds like a pretty good way of eliminating the extra parts in a typical 2-stage clutch live PTO design.

I'm guessing that the clutch has to be used when stopping the tractor. The only draw back I can see is that an operator would have to remember to shift to neutral before stopping when the PTO is in use. Since Yanmar is a pretty well regarded tractor, I assume that the PTO, which sounds like it's TX driven, has a built in over-running clutch.

View my Photos
Roger L.

2002-01-10          34395

I think that Brent was referring to the old Yanmars from 30 plus years ago. On those - like all compacts of that era - the power take off shaft (the PTO) would stop turning if you put in the clutch and/or stopped the tractor. The PTO is what is used to spin mowers or other implements.
Some of those old style tractors still come in with today's gray market shipments, and of course all sorts of older compacts are still common on the used market. Most of them have that type of PTO. It is called a "transmission-driven PTO". Although they sound hard to use, they seem to get the job done just fine.
But almost all Yanmar models built since the early 1980s are powershift type. Like any modern tractor, the PTO on the powershift Yanmars can be operated independently of whatever else the tractor is doing. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-01-10          34397

I might have a misconception here, or have misinterpreted Roger's comment.

I always thought that a TX driven PTO drove the PTO when the tractor was stopped but the TX in neutral. At least I recall my uncles and their 40's & 50's JD's and IH's running things like silage choppers and conveyor belts from the pto while the tractor was stopped. I didn't think these old tractors had live PTO's, but I could be mistaken. Mechanically, I thought a TX driven PTO came off the TX input or counter shaft, which would still be driven and rotating when the TX is in neutral. I also vaguely thought some fairly recent economy model compacts use TX driven PTO's, so maybe all of them aren't exactly ancient. Anyway, Roger's comment is as usual is to the point and accurate. I'm just honking on some detail here.

View my Photos
Roger L.

2002-01-10          34399

Tom, apparently I didn't explain it well, as I also agree with the way that you describe it. A transmission-driven PTO does indeed work in neutral with the clutch engaged. In fact, it works anytime the clutch is engaged. The only downside to a transmission PTO is that you have to disengage the clutch to stop the tractor....and when you do so the PTO stops as well.
More independent PTOs have two clutches; one for the PTO and one for the tractor. There are a variety of ways to accomplish that, and Yanmar's normal powershift transmission is one of those ways.
And you are right to point out that not only older tractors, but also some modern ones still have the transmission-driven PTO. It is near bulletproof and cheap. Alternately, completely independent PTOs are common on farm tractors since the latter 1950s.

View my Photos
Brent Pepper

2002-01-10          34400

The YM1610 is a grey market Yanmar that does not have a built in over run coupler on the PTO. While yes you can shift into neutral, reverse, or a forward gear without the PTO stopping, if you press the clutch, the PTO will stop.

Brent ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-01-11          34427

Nope! I think the explanation was just fine as always. I only thought it might be possible for somebody who's been around tractors even less than I to misinterpret and think the a tractor might have to be moving for the PTO to work. Somebody who has been around farms even a little would know how many stationary implements are run from a PTO. Designing one that wouldn't work while the tractor is parked wouldn't make sense. I can still come up with interpretations that don't make sense, which is a reflection on my experience. Hope these clarifications help others.

I expressed interest in how the power shift works in another thread. I believe somebody said that there's a tendency for them to shift slow. Maybe this subject will carry on.

The design I haven't quite got my mind around is that the hydraulic pump that is driven off the PTO on some old Fords. Yikes! Have to engage the PTO before the 3ph works. Must have been different times when manufacturers knew about hydraulics but couldn't figure why a tractor owner would want them.

Regarding over-running clutches: I'm surprised the Yanmar TX driven PTO doesn't have a build in one. Mid-80's Ford compacts offered TX driven PTO as standard equipment that have an internal over-running clutch. External ones are available--mostly for old Fords that lack them. If you don't have one, a rotary cutter will keep driving the tractor forward even with the clutch in.

View my Photos
lsheaffer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-01-11          34428

Before Henry Ferguson invented the 3 point hitch there was no need for hydraulics. Nost attachments that needed to be lifted had a ground drive lift. Some tractors had mechanical lifts for raising cultivators. They weren't concerned with running the pto while the tractor was moving, mpst pto work was stationary. The tractors didn't have enough power to both pull a machine & run it. The reason for the hydraulic pump on the 9n tractors with the first 3 point in 1939 was to lift the 3 point. Using the hydraulics for other purposes was an after thought. It wasn't till the mid 50's that manufacture started putting both live hydraulics & 3 points on tractors. By the eaarly 60's everyone was doing it.
The Japanese had no real need for an overrunning clutch. They use their tractors for rototilling rice patties. A roto tiller does not have the momentum that a mower has when it is stopped ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2002-01-11          34429

Tom, I agree that an overrunning clutch is a nice safety feature. But apparently farmers in some other parts of the world not only disagree, but want their tractors without that feature. In the US I think that it is required that new tractors have them now, but apparently it wasn't always that way because older US tractors don't have that overrunning clutch either. Even 20 years ago, all the Yanmars and Kubotas for sale in the US came with internal overrunning clutches. That isn't true of Yanmars and Kubotas built for sale in other countries and then shipped here via the grey market route. Some of those have the clutch and others don't.
Luckily for these older tractors there is an external overrunning clutch that works as good or better than an internal part. I saw some in a tractor magazine for around $50 and it can be slipped onto a PTO shaft in about ten seconds. If you are in doubt about whether your tractor has one, it doesn't hurt to have two. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-01-12          34456

Thanks Leonard I seldom can recall whether it was Ferguson or Massey. I recall that Ford bought the 3ph license but I don't know if all their tractors were 3ph or not.

I have the synchromesh TX on my Ford 1710 that has a 2-stage clutch. The standard TX uses a TX driven PTO and there is a built in overrunning clutch. The 1710 is a mid-80's tractor that is mostly Shibaura. I wonder if the over-running clutch was put in just for the Fords to be exported to N.A.?

I guess an over-running clutch isn't particularly important with a 2-stage clutch or HST, since the PTO drive can't drive the TX, but much like the Japanese, I don't have a rotary cutter anyway. Either type PTO drive would work OK for me except for the issue clutching without stopping the drive. My snow blower chute sure clogs if I forget and clutch the PTO as well as the TX..

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login