Go Bottom Go Bottom

YM1500 Loss of Power

View my Photos
Debbie
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-09-03          115899

I am having problems with my YM1500 losing power while mowing after a short period of time. The RPM's will drop below 1000 and I will have to push in the clutch and idle the tractor. Sometimes it will pick back up after about 5 minutes above 2000 and sometimes it just goes dead. Any suggestions as to what I can do?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

YM1500 Loss of Power

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-09-03          115900

When was the last time the fuel filter was replaced? ....

YM1500 Loss of Power

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-09-03          115901

Another area to check is the fuel tank vent. Many fuel tanks are vented through the filler tank cap. If this vent becomes clogged; it can cause a vaccum to develop inside the tank and periodically starve the fuel injection pump for fuel. ....

YM1500 Loss of Power

View my Photos
Debbie

2005-09-04          115911

I changed the fuel filter about a month ago, the problem has gotten worse since then. A vent in the filler cap? Should I actually look at the filler cap for a vent? Would love to purchase a operators manual online (download) if anyone knows where I can get one. ....

YM1500 Loss of Power

View my Photos
bmlekki

2005-09-04          115912

Does it also happen if you let it sit and idle high/low?

some of the fuel filter/bowls have a valve on the input. i would check that too. I've had this problem when it was closed over a little. ....

YM1500 Loss of Power

View my Photos
Chief

2005-09-04          115914

Debbie,

I have a suspicion that when the fuel filter was changed, some residual air may have been trapped in the fuel system. To iliminate this possibility; I would suggest purging or bleeding the air from the fuel system by purging any potential air from between the fuel tank and the injector pump. I am not familiar with your particular tractor so look in your owner's manual or shop manual if you have one. Typically there is a air bleed screw or purge vent on or just at the pump that you can open and purge the fuel and air bubbles until you get fuel and NO air bubbles. The rest of the system can be purged by loosening the fuel lines at each fuel injector and turning the engine over until each line has purged any air bubbles out (ie: only fuel comes out) This is a bit messy but there is just no way around it if there is air trapped in the fuel injection system. ....

YM1500 Loss of Power

View my Photos
Debbie

2005-09-04          115917

2ndHandLion,

You're right, it is extremely messy. It seems to work as long as the tractor is just at idle. However, when I go to operate it, it stalls as if it is starving for fuel. I have bled all the lines the best I know how. ....

YM1500 Loss of Power

View my Photos
Debbie

2005-09-04          115918

bmlekki,

Yes it does, I was cutting grass yesterday and it started acting up. I got off of it and idled it up and raised to hood to check fuel lines. Before I could get any fuel lines loose, the tractor went dead, the RPM's would not increase. ....

YM1500 Loss of Power

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-09-04          115919

Did you just buy this tractor? I'm wondering if the fuel system is contaminated. Does this machine have a clear fuel bowl? Does it look clean or are there little particles floating around in it? ....

YM1500 Loss of Power

View my Photos
Chief

2005-09-04          115920

Sounds like you have checked all the things that can cause this. Something that can cause this that is a bit of a long shot is in some fuel tanks, there is a pickup screen or "filter sock" (for lack of a better term) that can become clogged with debry or contaminants. You may want to check and see if this is the case. The other unlikely but possible option is that the fuel itself is bad. Where did you get the diesel fuel from? ....

YM1500 Loss of Power

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-09-04          115924

What do you store your diesel fuel in? I hope it's not a galvanized can. ....

YM1500 Loss of Power

View my Photos
Debbie

2005-09-05          115934

2ndHandLion,

I will check today to see if there is a filter in the tank. Other than my uncle borrowing the tractor and purchasing fuel at a local store, I have been getting it from my brother since I bought the tractor 2 years ago. I am going to rework the fuel system today and see if I can find any bugs I missed. ....

YM1500 Loss of Power

View my Photos
Debbie

2005-09-05          115935

kwschumm,

I bought the tractor approx 2 yrs ago. I have been getting fuel from my brother, he has fuel delivered to him regularly. He operates heavy equipment and owns a above ground storage tank. I have always gotten fuel from him. There is a clear fuel bowl. There was particles when I changed the fuel filter. I am going to rework the system today. Thanks. ....

YM1500 Loss of Power

View my Photos
Chief

2005-09-05          115946

If the fuel you are using is contaminated; it can QUICKLY clog even a newly replaced filter. Check the fuel filter bowl for any sediment or unusual problems. A collapsed fuel filter is a dead giveaway that it is clogged. If this is the case; you will need to drain the fuel in the tank, replace the fuel filter and replace it with known good fuel. ....

YM1500 Loss of Power

View my Photos
moons71

2005-09-07          116015

i have a 1500 and mine did the same thing the fuel lines came a loose ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login