Go Bottom Go Bottom

EPA issues new diesel regulations

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-05-10          85672

We knew this was coming.

Link:   EPA diesel regs

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-05-10          85679

Here comes the bio-diesel, I can smell the french fries already.........

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
NHDaveD

2004-05-11          85766

Good article. It sounds like the fuel that they plan to formulate to nearly eliminate sulfur in diesel fuel used in construction, farming and other off-road equipment may be different from that at the local gas station. Is the stuff I buy at the gas station already meeting these or similar standards?

As far as the bio-diesel and the smell of french fries - I sense a conspirecy from the BIG 3, McDonalds, Wendys, & Burger King. With the smell of french fries in the air - free subliminal advertising. ....

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-05-15          86119

Check this out... ....

Link:   Greasel

View my Photos
Chief

2004-05-16          86148

At least "Big Green" is keeping up with the EPA and the latest round of "tree hugging". I am all for clean air and taking care of our environment but it needs to be done using that RARE commodity called COMMON SENSE. ....

Link:   DEERE CONFIDENT THAT IT CAN MEET NEW EPA GUIDELINES

View my Photos
wigglybridge

2004-05-16          86176

If you haven't tried biodiesel, maybe you shouldn 't shoot from the hip, folks.

It burns better, it smells a heckuva lot better, and your odds of dying an excruciating death from the big C are much lower. Diesel smoke is one of the worst things you can possibly breathe, and 20% biodiesel (commercially almost all of it is made from soy, not french fry grease) generates less than HALF the fine particulates that kill you.

We're lucky here in SE Vermont to have a station selling it right nearby, and it works GREAT. It IS "common sense".

Bob (tree hugger and former cancer researcher) ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-05-16          86182

Ok. That does it.

I not parking the tractor or the RTV in any enclosed spaces ever again.

And after hearing some stuff on the radio last week, if I do take up welding it will be outdoors and only when the wind is blowing. ....

View my Photos
cerberus
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-05-17          86218

Wiggly . Not A tree hugger by any stretch . But, How does the bio Diesel hold up in the winter ? Does it "wax " up ?
It's very limited as far as being available here . I'd like to try it , just to see how it performs . John

View my Photos
Chief

2004-05-17          86236

I am a prime proponent FOR biodiesel. The biggest obstacle blocking it is congress and the oil companies. It does burn much cleaner and has a much higher cetane rating, especially bio-diesel made from rapeseed oil also known as RME or rapeseed methyl ester. It can be made for about the same current price of petroleum diesel. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-05-17          86238

Biodiesel IS one of those common sense measures that would help make a cleaner environment while as the same time putting our farmers back to work and has the potential to increase our domestic GDP by about 50% or more from the dollars that stay here in America. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-05-18          86283

My comment about the french-fries was not meant as a joke, I was being serious about it.

Let me explain. My firm is part of a test group. The company that supplies our solvents, and has the contract to haul away our waste oil, has also diversified into other 'wet waste' products. Among that is restaurant waste, food scraps and WASTE OIL.

The cheapest way to dispose of it is to burn it in diesel engines since health regulations dicvtate it can never go back into food products. They filter it, blend it and repackage it, then it gets blended into our 'Dino Diesel' at a rate of between 10% & 30% WVO (Waste Vegetable Oil). Careful measurements are made as to performance and so on but so far the results are VERY promising.

One interesting note to all of this is that lab. tests done show that even as little as 5% WVO dramatically increases the lubricity of the fuel in the pump and injectors, something which to-date had been provided by the sulphur in Dino Diesel.

HOWEVER, there is one drawback. No matter how carefully they filter that oil, it still smells like french-fries.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kubotaguy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-05-18          86306

Back in the college days, I used to be an Assistant manager at McD's and it is amazing they can make anything out of the nasty grease mess they ship out. It is not only the oil from the french fryers, fish vats, or chicken vats but the grease from the grills as well. In the morning it is very common to have a lot of eggs, sausage, and bacon mixed in as well. Let it set out in the hot sun in a 55 gallon drum for a week or two and it no where near resembles french fries. I know we used through about 100 to 150 gallon of vegetable oil a week. Maybe when they strain it out and refine it, it smells like fries again!!!!! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login