Go Bottom Go Bottom

Female Negotiating Tractor Purchase

View my Photos
bluesky
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-03-09          79318

I am a small horse farm owner and I'm planning to purchase a compact tractor in the next two days - I'm also female - any advice on negotiating with 'the boys'?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-09          79319

Gee, some guys here send their wives in to negotiate because they seem to get the best prices!

Seriously, if you can find what the list prices are figure an absolute minimum of 10% off list, and if you push real hard you may get to 20% off. Sometimes if a particular model is selling like hotcakes they won't deal.

Do you have a brand and model in mind? If you post it here people who have purchased are usually willing to say what they paid so you can get a ballpark estimate. Prices vary around the country it seems. ....

View my Photos
JAZAK5

2004-03-09          79321

I agree ,my wife made my dealer ask her if she wanted a job !!!!
1. get pre- approved financing,it show them your serious and you can always use theirs,if cash your even in a better spot !!!!
2.keep apples to apples,hydo-gear-horsepower-r-4/r-3/turf/options ect.
its easy to start confusing everything(two-days?????)
3.get quotes from the "other dealers" and if your choice is all ready made ,remember you should even go to different dealers of the same brand I found that out with my tractor purchase. ....

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-09          79322

You definatey need to have an idea what you are looking for. I would first determine the size of tractor and get price estimates on the size and model from the dealers. Once you have narrowed it to one model and brand then check the board for the prices members have recieved. You may also want to post you quote and see if you can do better. After arming yourself with what is a good price and what is a poor price. I would then contact the dealers in your area and see what price they are willing to meet and work one against the other until you have a price that you are willing to accept.
Remember you will likely get a better price if you purchase your additional equipment, FEL and mower at the same time as he will likely have more mark up on these items than the tractor.
Compare apples to apples. ....

View my Photos
kubotaguy

2004-03-09          79323

Also don't forget about negotiating other things such as 50 Hr maint., delivery, warranty pick up, etc. Those things can add up and the dealer is more likely to make some concessions on those items. ....

View my Photos
bluesky

2004-03-09          79324

Thanks for all the feedback. Here's what I'm looking at - Cub Cadet Compact 5254 - 25hp, 4wd, gas, finishing mower and a box scraper - quote is $10,000 delivered.
I'll be moxing around 1 1/2 to 2 acres, grading/scraping a round pen and outdoor arena, light snow removal, light bush-hogging, etc.

Thoughts on size and quote? ....

View my Photos
Blueman

2004-03-09          79327

I think I would have to look at similar sized diesel models. The various brands offer diesels that are hard to beat for power and economy, never mind re-sale value should you decide on a different unit in a few years. ....

View my Photos
bluesky

2004-03-09          79331

Diesel vs. Gas? ....

View my Photos
agentorange

2004-03-09          79332

sky,blue - my stock comments to follow: We also have ponies, manure (technically equine-2) and it's management have come to the forefront these days. We have ponds/streams/wells/equine-2 in the equation. One of our concerns was that my wife could also use the tractor easily and handle some of these issues in a way that she thought proper. In other words, it would suck to have to get me to do what she wants done when she is perfectly capable of doing it, doing it her way, and enjoying the ride as well. Her ideas are normally better than mine anyway. Another heart vs soul issue for another day.

We chose a Kubota B7510 w/LA302 loader. The combo of power steering and HSD transmission makes maneuvering it around the barn and property a breeze. Plenty of power for our needs as well. This combo (HSD, power steering) makes it user-friendly for anyone in the seat. No long learning curve with all kinds of knobs and clutching and gearshifts and levers.

Another important item we discovered when we went to a dealer that sells the green ones and the orange ones was that visibilty of the loader was far superior on the Kubota. This of course increases the confidence/comfort range. Please see my post "orange vs green my personal opinion only".

I also highly recommend a diesel machine. Allow this purchase to be "the right choice" and it will be a long-term asset to you. In this market, diesel rules. Not too many people are going to be looking for a used gas tractor.

I liken it to the amazing horse trailer market. We have a Trails West 2-horse slant. Warmblood version. Longer and wider than normal. As I recall we got it for about $8400 w/ many options in 1999. One advantage is that, as you know, people seem to be going towards bigger fatso's...er ...I mean horses. The larger trailer will be an asset in the future. Our trailer is in great shape and could fetch only 15-20% less than we paid for it. I think that's amazing. Almost any trailer that is towable is $1000! Same applies to a nice diesel tractor. If you have looked at the used market you have probably found very few. It's like Honda generators, people buy them and keep them.

Do not be afraid of diesel. There's nothing to it. A gas engine (in general) pales in comparison to the reliability, power, and resale value of a diesel. Most auto dealers will give virtually nothing for trade-in of a gas rig in the "big" pickup market, they can't move them.

Do the research, know the numbers. Check this forum for pricing and satisfaction.
You can't get what you want unless you know what you want.
Think HSD transmission, 4wheel-drive, power steering, and...uh...oh yeah, diesel!

good luck, have fun
-ao ....

View my Photos
JAZAK5

2004-03-09          79338

I do not know how you plan on disposing of your "by product" but seriously take in consideration of how high your fel bucket/tines will reach ie manure spreader,pick up,1 ton dump or real dump truck ....

View my Photos
Abbeywoods

2004-03-09          79348

Blue, first let me say everyone who has responded here has given you very good advice. My wife, too, is the all time champ on negotiating prices for almost all of my purchases. However, she does so after I narrow the range of what to buy and how it is equipped. One slightly different opinion, you may be interested in looking at a small diesel skid steer unit, especially for mucking. They take a wide range of quick attach implements, can make right angle and zero radius turns (great for stalls and corrals), and with the wider tires work well in muddy paddocks. Most important, be yourself, be honest with the dealer, and be educated before you step out of the house. Good luck. ....

View my Photos
JAZAK5

2004-03-10          79445

thats an excellent point on the skid steer,the reason I did not go that rout is the ground clearence. When your mucking you had better invest in some tracks for that unit unless you have something bigger to pull it out with !!!!!!
YOU CAN GET THESE THINGS STUCK AND STUCK GOOD !!!!
At least with a tractor you can invest in a pto winch ....

View my Photos
Art White

2004-03-10          79466

The Cadet should do your work and make life much easier for you. They are new and I feel a relitively good buy. The average engine life of those engines is around 3500 vs double that on low end diesels. There is a price difference. To me you being a female is a plus, chances are when we would start working you have no bad habits or misconceptions of the machinery or it's performance. Find a dealership that you feel comfortable working with as well as the machinery. I would hate to think that if I wasn't in the industry where I am as to how much money I would have spent to learn what I've forgotten! ....

View my Photos
drcjv.

2004-03-10          79479

I disagree about the skidsteer they are not nearly as versitile as a CUT. They are limited in ground clearance also no good for mowing. They will tear a lawn to shreds. A cut can do many more things much easier than a skidsteer. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login