Go Bottom Go Bottom

Site Load Speed

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-28          78193

I have and am working on some site performance improvements.

So far I have been working on the Pages that list the message content (fullThread). You should experience significantly faster load times now that I have made some changes.

I will be working the the message index pages next.

Please let me know if anything seems to be off so I get fix any bugs that may have been introduced by the improvements.

Dennis
TractorPoint

PS Thanks go to agentorange for letting me know that things were a little sluggish.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Site Load Speed

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-28          78194

Dennis, I think we all appreciate the performance on TractorPoint. On a slow dial-up some other sites are nearly unusable, but this one always works. Sometimes it's a little sluggish here but it's always been usable. Thanks for the good work and ongoing commitment! ....

Site Load Speed

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2004-02-29          78290

I worked most of the weekend on improving load performance.

So now all the message index listing pages have also been modified to perform better. Hopefully this will eliminate those "maximum connection" errors some people were getting week days when activity is highest.

Let me know if you see anything that does not work right now that I changed things.

For those of you that do not have broadband let me know if you see any improvement.

Thanks
Dennis
TractorPoint ....

Site Load Speed

View my Photos
harvey

2004-03-01          78310

Morning Dennis my 28.8 and 32.2 (on good days) is better this am. Yup it was sluggish I figured the phone company just needed to put some line conditioner in :-) Seems the motor needed a minor tune up. But all weekend does not seem minor to me. ....

Site Load Speed

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2004-03-01          78320

Thanks for the feedback Harvey.

Anyone else see an improvement? ....

Site Load Speed

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-03-01          78327

My average connect speed is 21.6k. Without putting a stopwatch to it the site feels a little snappier. I was getting the max connection errors a few times a day and haven't seen one since Saturday IIRC. ....

Site Load Speed

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2004-03-01          78328

Ahh!

I found the first bug:

-The edit page loads but does not save the edit.

Dennis ....

Site Load Speed

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2004-03-01          78331

The edit bug has been fixed. ....

Site Load Speed

View my Photos
Peters

2004-03-01          78332

I had seen an improvement but recently made another switch to the Netscape browser as it allow you to automatically delete junkmail, therefore I was thinking it was just the new browser.
Eric ....

Site Load Speed

View my Photos
blizzard

2004-03-01          78337

Dennis,
You seem to have purged the 'too many users' error.
Speed seems a little faster, though my dialup is very susceptible to line conditions.
Thanx,
bliz ....

Site Load Speed

View my Photos
blizzard

2004-03-01          78340

Dennis,
Why when I post do I get a message 'Host jplan...unknown...saved in dead.letter'?
I see my message is on the board, do I really have to see this 'warning'?
bliz ....

Site Load Speed

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-03-01          78345

Definitely snappier Dennis..... Thanks.

I think that Dead Letter deal is there to tell you that the person you are responding too in not registered and there is no way to send e-mail notification. ....

Site Load Speed

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2004-03-01          78347

The dead letter thing happens when there is an invalid email address.

I will look into it. Blizzard do you have a valid email address set up with your TractorPoint membership? Your notify preference is set to "Yes".

Dennis
TractorPoint ....

Site Load Speed

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-03-01          78350

This error sporadically pops up for me as well and I'm sure my email address is valid. ....

Site Load Speed

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2004-03-01          78351

Blizzard,

You have everything set up OK. The deadletter error only means that someone on the email notification list, not necessarily you, has something erroneous in their email settings.

The error occurs because someone in the message thread had their profile set to notify them via email when someone replies, but they have an invalid email address. This causes a deadletter error.

I have changed that members preference on this thread. But this can happen whenever we have the same problem in another thread.

I will look into ways to make this better.

Dennis
TractorPoint ....

Site Load Speed

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-03-01          78352

Dennis, I get the dead letter notice on some threads... like this one.... and still get an e-mail copy of the proceedings. ....

Site Load Speed

View my Photos
Murf

2004-03-01          78353

I seem to be lucky in that I'm 'technologically priviledged' and didn't really notice any problems, load speed or otherwise.

Then again my connection is a sizzler, in peak times it slows down to about 300kbps, in 'off-hours' (week days daytime) it averages about 500kbps and at times reaches 1MMbps.

At that speed big loads are still fast enough as to be almost instant images.

But thanks for the effort anyways Dennis.

Best of luck. ....

Site Load Speed

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2004-03-01          78354

Murf I have always had dialup at only 22 kb, until last year when I got a cable modem.

With my broadband I get up to 1800kb down and 256kb up.

Not sure what the broadband dialup mix is now for TractorPoint members, I would guess it is about 20% broadband 80% dialup.

Since I got the broadband I never use dialup anymore so it is hard for me to tell if the changes I made in the last year perform well.

It helps if the dialup folks let me know how things seem to them.

Dennis ....

Site Load Speed

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2004-03-01          78366

I use a 512K T1 line at work. At home I have DSL that generally measures about 220K. These speeds are in both directions. I have had cable modems over the years, but I am far enough out in the boonies now that there will probably never be cable TV there. I was on one of the first pilot installations that Cox did with cable modems and I had speeds of 10Mb (download at least). Now some cable companies are often limiting bandwidth to about 350K to preserve their overall capabilities and to keep customers from noticing speed variations during busy times. ....

Site Load Speed

View my Photos
kubotaguy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-03-01          78377

At home I am using DSL that averages 784 download and I have noticed faster downloads as well as uploads. Thanks Dennis for going the extra mile to make tractor point even better!! ....

Site Load Speed

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-03-01          78436

FYI, Dennis, I just got another max connections exceeded error. There were 129 users online at the time. I can live with it, just letting you know. ....

Site Load Speed

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2004-03-01          78442

I see 160 users on now. What page did you get the max users on?

Site Load Speed

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-03-01          78449

The "New As Posted" page was properly displayed and I clicked on an article when the error occured. I don't remember which article though. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login