Go Bottom Go Bottom

New Digital Camera

View my Photos
Billy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-15          71252

I've decided to order an Olympus C-740UZ. Has anyone heard anything bad about this perticular camera?

Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

New Digital Camera

View my Photos
kubotaguy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-12-15          71253

I don't own one personally, but from what I've seen it's a pretty nice camera. It has an awesome optical zoom which is great. Digital zooms aren't that great. I see it is using the new X-D card which is nice, but the card that comes with the camera can only handle a few pictures so count on adding a 128 meg or 256 meg card. I have a Fuji Finepix which I've had for a couple of years. My mom just got the Olympus 720 and it's pretty nice. I've been helping her learn how to use it.
I'm sure you'll love the new camera.
Good luck ....

New Digital Camera

View my Photos
Billy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-15          71255

Thanks kubotaguy. You're right about the memory card, it's almost worthless. I've been checking into larger memory too.

I did look seriously at the 750 UZ but couldn't see the 100 bucks more in price. As a matter of fact, I've look at so many cameras, I'm about to go crazy. It's as bad as buying a new tractor (maybe worse but not as expensive).

New Digital Camera

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-12-15          71256

I agree with you about the models of cameras. I just got a new one from Sony. I looked at the Olympus, Gateway, HP, FinePix and other models, but decided to get the Sony since it can do some video also. The Sony is a 5MP P10 model with 12X zoom. CompUSA had them on sale, but were out and OfficeMax gave me their 115% price guarantee so I did even better. I got 32MB and 128MB memory sticks. I haven't tried the video, but they claim that it will do 90 mins on the 128MB memory stick. It is about the size of a pack of cigarettes. There are so many features and so many different models, that I finally just made a choice to move forward.

I have a Canon 35mm outfit that I would like to get a digital body for when I have some spare cash lying around. ....

New Digital Camera

View my Photos
JParker

2003-12-15          71263

I have the earlier 2mp version. Love it for photos at work, but the clarity wasn't quite there since I'm used to 35mm SLR. I understand the 4mp should answer that complaint fairly well.

Although usually I like to be in control of the settings, I have been very pleased with the auto mode results.

Hope you like it. I think you'll really like the optical zoom. ....

New Digital Camera

View my Photos
kubotaguy

2003-12-16          71302

AC5Z0, normally video's take a tremendous amount of memory. My Fuji Finepix takes 60 second video's with sound and it uses around 10 megs for that short video. I don't think it will do a 90 minute video on one of those memory cards. Also is your 12X zoom all optical? Normally Sony does part optical and part digital. When using the digital zoom I noticed the pics aren't that clear.
As far as increasing the megapixel, normally all that does is increase the picture size not the quality. A 2 megapixel camera will give you a decent 8X10. Also the printer has a lot to do with printing photos. I only print a few photos but if I need good quality photos, I upload them to Kodak's website and order them from there. They are awesome quality and are done on a print machine.
Good luck ....

Link:   Ofoto

New Digital Camera

View my Photos
TomG

2003-12-16          71306

We'll be upgrading from a 3-year old VISA points camera to this year's VISA points camera. This stuff is changing so fast that I can't see spending real money on something I like until the rate of obsolescence slows down a bit.

This year's VISA camera is a Finepic 3.1 mp with a 10X optical zoom. I noticed that popular current models tend to have 8x opticals with 2x digital zooms. Think I've got that one figured out. Digital zoom enables a person to crop a pic and blow up it up but the resolution is degraded. I think that an 8x optical plus 2x digital is 16x, and the resolution likely is degraded from 5mp to 2.5. I think that camera would have higher resolution at 10X that the 3.1 mp Finepic using a 10X optical zoom--have to keep in mind here that some pix ratings are not real physical pix. I'm guessing it's cheaper to maintain image quality with more pix than with longer opticals. However, having a digital zoom on a camera is not too relevant. They do the same thing as a graphics editor and maybe a good editor does it better. ....

New Digital Camera

View my Photos
kubotaguy

2003-12-16          71320

Tom, I got bad news if you are waiting for computer technology to slow down. If anything equipment will become obsolete faster and faster. I have been amazed at how fast things are continuing to change in computers. I guess they are like a snowball going downhill, it's only going to go faster!!! Sounds like you have a real nice camera there. ....

New Digital Camera

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-12-16          71323

Tom.... I think an 8x optical plus a 2x digital adds up to 10x. ....

New Digital Camera

View my Photos
Chief

2003-12-16          71325

Speaking of being passed up by technology; I still have AND use my old Olympus Infinity that carried with me all through the Persian Gulf War. That ole' camera and I have got a lot of memories. At least the camera doesn't suffer from CRS. ;-) I still have my Cannon AE-1 Program too! I did get a chance to play with a Sony digital cameral that the Army bought for us while I was working on the Apache rotor blade trailer project. I forgot the model # but it used a mini CDRW to save the pictures to. It would hold something like 500-600 pictures I think. Was a nice camera but too much money for me. ....

New Digital Camera

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-12-16          71329

I still have a Canon FT. It was used the first I laid eyes on it 30 years ago. Still takes marvelous photo's.

It is really hard to go back to film after messing with digital cameras. ....

New Digital Camera

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-12-16          71336

Mark, Zoom powers multiply rather than add. My Sony has 3X optical zoom and 4X digital zoom for a total of 12X. To qualify that however, you do not get the full 12X if you are shooting high resolution 5MP pictures. You only get the 3X optical zoom with the full resolution pictures.

I tend to shoot most pictures at a lower resolution to get more pictures into memory and to be able to use some of that digital zoom. I find 1.2MP to be a good level for regular point and shoot pictures. It allows for the full 12X.

I like 5MP because it is the same as the resolution of a young human eye. It also allows me to crop pictures and retain good resolution in the remaining picture.

kubotaguy...I know what you mean about the video. I do a considerable amount of digital video and I normally have about 10MB of file for an MPG format video of 1 minute. So, I would figure that 128MB would only be good for 12 minutes of regular high quality video. The resolution of the camera is 640 X 480 in video mode. That is the same as a regular TV, so there is nothing wrong with that. But, either Sony has come up with some radical way to compress the video on the memory stick or they are reducing the frame rate like they do on some Internet feeds and video telephones. I have not experimented with this, but I will report back when I have a chance to use it. If it will do a few minutes of high quality digital video, I will be happy. I bought it for the still photo properties but the video capability was a nice extra. ....

New Digital Camera

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-12-16          71344

That is probably why I don't think dig/zoom is very powerful.

I generally shoot for max resolution and I am probably dialing the digital zoom out when I push the upper limits. ....

New Digital Camera

View my Photos
kubotaguy

2003-12-16          71348

I generally use the highest quality on my camera because I can always scale the picture back but you can't increase the picture without losing quality. If I had a 5 MP which would really chew up the memory at the highest quality I would probably back it down around 2 MP since that is all you really need for an 8X10. ....

New Digital Camera

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-12-16          71350

Tom, it is indeed difficult to get a sharp picture across the photograph with regular lenses. I have an old Sony digital camera that is 1/3 MP or 640X480 resolution. It has a 10X optical zoom, but you really needed to use it to frame your photos with such a low resolution camera. A 10X optical zoom on a 3MP camera would be very nice.

For the price, these little point and shoot digital cameras do an outstanding job in my opinion. I spent a lot of time in college taking sports pictures for newspapers and for the athletes themselves. I am a recent convert to digital cameras and I am considering selling my old Nikon professional camera and lenses. I had essentially retired it several years ago with a Canon system that used automatic and autofocus lenses. I really want to get a digital back for my Canon lenses, but that will cost at least $1000, and I am not doing professional photographs anymore, so I don't really need it. I think that most of my individual Nikon or Canon lenses probably cost more than I paid for the Sony P10 digital that I just got. The high cost of those individual lenses is what makes the difference in having a nice clear focus from edge to edge on the photo. But, they also take you out of the under $500 range for complete cameras and put you into $2000 and up for a good 5MP digital camera body and a few autofocus lenses. ....

New Digital Camera

View my Photos
Billy

2003-12-16          71351

Well I ordered it. Finally had to order it through Dell (at a decent price).

I could have bought it a little cheaper, from one of those online New York camera shops. I called one the other day, to see if it was in stock (website said it was) and the guy said it was. I hadn't actually made up my mind at that point. I called back yesterday and it was out of stock. Just for the heck of it, I called back a few hours later and it was 'in' stock. I tell the guy I want it and he says I'll have to order it over the net. I asked him why and he said their system was down. I called several more online dealers and got the same BS. What they want is for you to place an order of out of stock cameras. Then they have your money while you wait on your camera. No Thank You.

New Digital Camera

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-12-16          71352

Digital zoom is useful for framing your photo subject if you don't do photo editing on your computer. You can get the same effect as digital zoom by cropping off the undesirable portion of the image on the computer. So, if you do photo editing, there is something to be said for taking pictures at the high resolutions.

The other useful feature of digital zoom is that you must shoot at less than the maximum resolution of your camera and so the image files are smaller. This lets you get by will a smaller memory module or store a lot more pictures.

I agree that 2MP is a good size for most pictures that you might want to print on large format. I shoot quite a few 1.2 MP pictures because they fit nicely on my SVGA computer screen at full resolution.

Talking about file sizes...I actually caused my server at work to fail to backup on tape a few weeks ago because the automatic operation went to my computer directory and backed up about 20 GB of video files that I had been working on. It took a long time to filter through the files and compress or delete the unnecessary ones.
You can use up your file space storing a lot of 5MP images. (another thought about lower resolution pictures) ....

New Digital Camera

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-12-16          71354

Billy, I am sure that you will be happy. I would expect the lens on the Olympus to be of very high quality.

The NY camera places are pretty weird sometimes. I have gotten things from them before that may be "demo" models or returned goods. They definitely weren't new. I have also gotten items where they illegally imported the items and the warranty was no good in the US. The only one that I still use is B&H. They seem honest, but don't always have the rock bottom prices. ....

New Digital Camera

View my Photos
Murf

2003-12-16          71358

AC brings up an interesting point about picture (or large files generally) storage on your hard drive. Both professionally and personally I use a lot of digital pictures. When my new computer started to dramatically slow I asked our compu-geek for advice.

The solution was simple, fast and cheap.

He installed a second hard drive (75GB in size) in my machine which is purely a 'filing cabinet' for storing large files. Since it contains no software, just files, and is not my 'C' drive the computer does not have to look through a large number of enormous files everytime it tries to do something. Now it runs perfectly again.

Best of luck. ....

New Digital Camera

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-12-16          71371

Harddisks are cheap now. I tend to use CDRW disks for picture storage. When I download the camera, I send them right to the CD. I can load five full 128MB memory sticks onto one CD.

I use the extra harddisk for video since CD access slows down the editing process. ....

New Digital Camera

View my Photos
kubotaguy

2003-12-16          71376

I keep my pics on the computer as well as burn them to CD for storage purposes. Then put the cd's in safety deposit box. My wife is a picture nut and if something would happen to the computer or house and she would lose her pictures WW III would start. I also keep a copy stored on my laptop. I'm looking into getting a 100 gig external hard drive to go between the laptop and desktop. I may end up getting a new desktop and use the old one as a server and for storage only. So many decisions to make!!! ....

New Digital Camera

View my Photos
TomG

2003-12-17          71435

Thanks for the comments. I forgot that digital zoom doesn't work with max resolution. We're going to go with the 3.1 10x optical Finepics camera and we probably put enough on VISA yesterday push us over the points total. Sort of like a free Christmas present that isn't. It runs on 4 AA rechargables so maybe it's more free than most.

It'll still be a point and click camera and my wife wouldn't use anything else. I suspect the PnC stuff won't be good enough for me and I'll end up spending too much time editing. The 2.1mp PnC we have now gives good enough resolution for most work but the white balance, contrast and saturation it produces just isn't right most times. Sometimes the focus is really messed up. Even the dumb one click photo fix in my editor improves most shots. The camera manual overrides require fiddling with a menu system on an LED screen that can't be seen in daylight. I just don't do it and spend time editing them instead. That's the better technology I'm waiting to come down to consumer products if it's even adequate in current pro cameras. Technology may always be changing but it does plateau sometimes. Surprising to me is that there's some commercial interest in what I'm doing so I might have to start thinking about my editing time. I expect technology will save me but maybe next year. ....

New Digital Camera

View my Photos
jeff r

2003-12-18          71546

I just recently bought the latest and greatest Sony DCR-DVD300 camcorder that records directly to 8cm DVD-RW discs. This is a Carl Zeiss 10x optical and 120x digital zoom digital camera as well and is the latest in state of the art digital and video photagraphy. You can play these 8cm DVDs right on your home DVD player or if you have a DVD burner on you desk top computer burn the 8cm DVD-RW right onto a full size DVD, erase the camcorders 8cm DVD and start recording again. THIS IS A DVD PICTURE QUALITY CAMCORDER recording ON DVDS GUYS!!!! The video playback quality doesnt get any better than 520 lines of resolution with current plasma TVS. My double sided 8cm DVD-RWs 2.8 gigabite size discs for this Sony camcorder will hold up to 120 minutes in the LP mode, 60 minutes in SP ,and 40 minutes in HQ. As far as the number of Digital still photos at 1152X864 fine resolution on a double sided 8cm DVD discs the number is a staggering 4500 pictures. That resolution for still pics EXCEEDS current 35mm Quality. This re-recordable double sided discs cost 19.00 each so you should only need one or 2 for massive storage. This IS the wave of the Future for camcorders and even the cameras using MINIDV digital tape are now OBSOLETE for video cameras. On my 300 I have a HUGE 3.5 inch color flip out LCD screen and a COLOR viewfinder on top when the sun's brightness washes out the the flip-out screen. The camera has TONS of features including Infra-red enhanced Night Vision for shooting in TOTAL darkness. There is NO technology on the horizon that will soon replace a camcorder recording DIRECTLY to DVD at 520 lines of resolution. What did it cost me you ask? I beat up the guy at my local Best Buy with a competitor price match and a Best Buy 10% off coupon and got the Sony 300 for $890.00 and they financed it with NO-INTERST FOR 2 YEARS!!! I bought the big 29.8Wh Lithium-Ion battery online for 70.00 because Best Buy wanted 149.99. The battery that comes with the camera (NP-FM50) will only give you an hour if you use the LCD flip-out screen. The big battery will get you over 6 hours of continious use. The software alone that comes with it that lets you edit and create professional vidoes plus DVD burning software is worth a 100.00 This is a sweet heart of both a video and still camera and for the SONY DVD300 is worth EVERY PENNY AND THEN SOME. I paid 600 for my Sony Dsc s75 with 3.3 meg pixels just 2 years ago. If you are serious about spending money on a GOOD digital still camera spend the extra money and get the Sony DVD 300 camcorder. You will never be sorry. Additionally, Sony is the ONLY manufacturer that has out a video camcorder that records directly to DVD which means NO MORE TAPE REWINDING. I don't expect the price to drop much in the next 6 months because current demand is VERY high. My local Best Buy had only 3 in stock and wasn't getting anymore till after Christmas and that included the DVD100 and DVD200 models. MFG's suggested retail is 1199.99 ....

New Digital Camera

View my Photos
jeff r

2003-12-18          71547

kubotaguy,

Why would you want to buy a 100 gig hard drive when you could get a 99.00 DVD burner and burn your pixes on 4.7 gig DVD-Rs or RWs. I could store with 20 DVDs what you would do with a 100 gig hard drive at a fraction of the cost and I would never worry about a hard drive crashing!!!! I just bought an internal DVD DUAL+- WRITER at Comp USA for 99.99 after rebate. No need for a HUGE hard DRIVE. IF you are taking an average of .5 meg per high resolution digital stills, do the math and see how many you can get on a 4.7gig DVD disc. Does your math say you get over 9000 pictures per 4.7gig DVD disc????? 5 DVD-RW would give you 45,000 high resolution still pics. Still want to buy THAT 100 gig hard drive???? I couldn't take 9000 picture in my lifetime let alone what 5 DVD-RW discs could hold. A 4.7 gig DVD is over 6 times larger than a CD-R and RW too. ....

New Digital Camera

View my Photos
kubotaguy

2003-12-18          71572

Jeff:
It sounds as if you have a nice set-up but within 6 months there will be something else out there better. Remember when everyone went crazy over CD burners, now there are DVD burners. Since you got a pretty nice deal on the camera, you shouldn't be too heart broken when they come out with something new.
As far as the 100 gig hard drive, yes I am still getting that. For what I need it for the hard drive is better than the DVD burner plus the current DVD burners on the market are too slow. As far as the 9000 pictures, I told you my wife was a picture nut and she took over 400 pictures at a wedding an reception. We probably all ready have taken over 7,000 pictures. The dvd's if damaged may or may not be able to recover information stored whereas with a hard drive you can pretty much recover all information if you have the right tools. ....

New Digital Camera

View my Photos
jeff r

2003-12-18          71575

KUBATGUY,

A DVD burner used for recording DIGITAL PICTURES in JPEG format is NO slower than the fastest CD-Rs, RWs burners currently made. I can copy a FULL length DVD movies from another disc in about 20 minutes and an full length audio 80 minute cd in less than 2 minutes. BUT THAT IS MPEG DVD info NOT JPEG info. You would NOT notice a speed difference using a DVD writer to copy your JPEG pictures. As far as new technology, THERE is NO new technology even on the horizon to record MPEG video other than using the DVD burner such as Sony uses on the DVD-300 camcorder. ALL digital tape cameras are NOW obsolete. Even CD RW & R burners are down to $20.00 in favor of DVD burners that do the record the same CD RW&Rs PLUS DVDs. In 3 years people will NOT Record off television with VCR tape. THEY will use 4.7 gig DVD discs and DVD burners. ALL video store movie rentals are on DVDs and there is NOTHING on the Technology horizon to replace that media.

Your important pictures copied on a DVD would be much more secure than stored on a hard drive. Hard drive get surged and spiked and you lose info. If you are concerned about a damaging a DVD disc, then make 2 copies. I have got VCR videos made 18 years ago ON TAPE no less that are fine and DVD are 10 times more secure and less prone to damage than an OLD VCR TAPE???? Which do you think is more secure, VCR tape or your Hard Drive??? Have you ever seen a HARD drive last 18 years???? My pictures burned on to CD or DVD discs will be here long after both of us are DEAD and GONE. As long as you don't handele your discs with sand paper gloves they will last nearly forever. ....

New Digital Camera

View my Photos
kubotaguy

2003-12-18          71581

The DVD will be replaced in a few years with something smaller that holds more information. That is how technology works. When something comes out everyone says that this is here to stay, etc. Look how fast they are increasing speeds on computers now. If you buy a top of the line computer, within 6 months it will become a middle of the line computer. I'm sorry to inform you that the same is true of your Sony camera. Next year at this time, it will be an after thought. Congratulations on your camera as it sounds like a very nice piece of equipment and I am glad to hear that they are finally improving the quality of digital video cameras. I'm curious as to the effect that the shock has on the camera recording to DVD. You know like CD's skip sometimes, what happens if you bump the camera, does it affect the recording or is it pretty shock resistent?
Tractors are the same way. I'm sure Art or Murf could tell you some stories about old tractors they have seen and the Technology that is there today. And as far as burning pictures to CD's or DVD's, I do burn my pictures to CD's as stated in a previous post but I wanted the larger hard drive for organizing my wife's photo albums which you can not do with a bunch of DVD's or CD's.
I appreciate your view and thank you for appreciating my view. I think this original thread was about a digital camera and I believe the decision was made so I am glad I could help that person make a decision and now consider this thread closed on my part. ....

New Digital Camera

View my Photos
jeff r

2003-12-18          71638

The chance the DVD will be replaced in a few years with something different than DVD is slim to none. This is similar to to debating what current power technology could replace a diesel internal cumbustion engine. I worked for Hitachi, Panasonic, RCA, Texas Instruments and Direct TV, but you seem to know more than me. The DVD is here to stay and there is NO technology for media storage I and my industry contacts are aware of that can economically replace the current DVD as we know it. Replacing the VHS VCR tape with DVD came real slow. The technology to replace DVD is not even thought of yet. Believe it or not the choice is yours. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login